Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2003, 03:07 AM

Default Free Windows crossgrade for 001 owners ???

Assuming that a considerable number of us will be left with unsaleable pigs when (ok, 'if') we find that our 001's are useless with Panther, and knowing that they'll never be useable with a G5, will Digi be offering a free crossgrade to PTLE for Windows, so we can at least unload them onto Windows users ???
Old 11-18-2003, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Free Windows crossgrade for 001 owners ???

Like a little cheese with that whine ???

Why not just wait for the 001 to be qualified for 10.3? I guess that would require a little patience. Yeah, go ahead and sell it. Better yet sell it to me really cheap, I'd love to have 2 DIGI001s and it'll never run on Panther anyway, right?

the 'slide

Old 11-18-2003, 06:54 AM

I was considering switching to windows about a year ago. I was able to download the software for free, but that was 5.x. I'm sure you can get 6.x for a nominal fee, if not for free. But I'd wait a few weeks and see what happens. I was one of the first to rail against Digi for the weekend post re: Panther, but after chillin' out and thinking about it, it seems pretty hard to believe that the G4 will be left out in the cold. I'd expect some clarification from Digi fairly soon and the G4 supported in a few months.....at least I certainly hope so.

G4 1.25DP/FW800/1.25GB/OS X 10.3.5/Digi 001/LE 6.4
Old 11-19-2003, 10:24 AM

Hey Slide, take a pill. I'm only expressing my opinion - isn't that what forums are for ? Don't take this personally - it's Digi that I'm pissed off with, not you, and I don't think I'm the only one.
If you don't like a post - don't read it.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Think about that for a second. ok ... got it ? Mmmmm ... irony.

Really dude, while my initial reacion was rather harsh for the subject matter. Just read the friggin' docs and chill. Your initial comments were needlessy harsh as well and completely unfounded in relevant facts (except the part about the G5s). PCs will soon go to PCI-X too. Just as Macs went from nubus to PCI.

Changes happen, be flexible.

The offer to purchase your Digi001 stands.

the 'slide

Old 11-19-2003, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Hey Slide, take a pill. I'm only expressing my opinion - isn't that what forums are for ? Don't take this personally - it's Digi that I'm pissed off with, not you, and I don't think I'm the only one.

This brings up an interesting point. How can one make a decision of like or dislike about a post unless they have in fact, read it. My question is....what is the modivation for upgrading your ProTools rig to a new OS? Are you running other apps on your ProTools machine that can/will really recognize a performance gain? Are there apps that will only run on 10.3.x? I'm beginning to question why I'm satisfied with 10.2.8, should I be?

|Recent PC to Mac convert|
Old 11-20-2003, 05:48 AM

Pako,
I'm, also happy with 10.2.8, (and 9.2.2 for that matter) but I don't want to be stuck here forever. Ironically, I don't even want to move to Panther yet, because i mainly work with Max/MSP, and there are still some issues with it and Panther to be resolved (though they may turn out to be more to do with QuickTime). When you're using a developement tool like Max, the OS you use becomes more critical. And let's face every 'upgrade' you make, whether application or OS has it's attendant headaches.
The problem with Digi stuff is that your investment is in both hardware + software; once it gets left behind in the 'unsupported' cupboard, you can't take advantage of improvements in future OS's. All new developement will now be for Panther - how many companies do you know that still developing for OS 9 for example ?
I know that 'unsupported' does not equal 'does not work' but it's usually the beginning of the end - I've never heard of anything being 'resupported'.

Slide,
no hard feelings, mate; I used to be a steelworker too.
This whole compatibility thing has upset a lot of people, and it just makes me feel uneasy when Digi don't appear to have anything to say to put people's minds at rest...
Old 11-20-2003, 07:53 AM

Pako, the biggest reason I'd like to upgrade to 10.3 is the speed tweaks in the GUI. From what Iv'e heard, all of the delays in opening windows and things like that are gone. OS X, under Panther, is supposed to feel very, very fast, dare I say, like Windows 2000 (certainly not XP, which has a slow GUI). I haven't actually had a chance to try it yet though, so maybe I'm wrong.

G4 1.25DP/FW800/1.25GB/OS X 10.3.5/Digi 001/LE 6.4