Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2006, 12:24 PM

Default Question For (Other) Synth Freaks

How does the Virus Indigo plug-in compare with the Access hardware versions of their synths?

I was thinking of checking out the Virus Classic. Is the Indigo TDM similar?

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Question For (Other) Synth Freaks

Quote:
How does the Virus Indigo plug-in compare with the Access hardware versions of their synths?

I'm not a big fan of either but I think the hardware delivers more edge if that's what you like. I have Virus Indigo TDM and never use it...
Old 03-02-2006, 12:59 PM

What synths do you prefer (the Indigo came w/ my PT)
Old 03-02-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Get the fxpansion wrapper, version 2 is out now and working great! then there's a lot of VST to choose from, here's a few of my favourites...

Korg legacy
ReFX Vanguard
Camel cameleon
Crystal

Tdm synths...

DUY synth spider
McDSP synthesizer 1
Unitonic Aurora

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:47 PM

I have both Virus Indigo TDM and Viruc KC hardware synths. In doing a side by side test of the same patch, the hardware virus (as previously mentioned) does have more edge. Being able to run multiple instances of Virus Indigo TDM vs only 1 hardware Virus is plus, but you do sacrifice some edge.

If you get the VST-RTAS adapter you may also consider ImpOSCar. I also have that and an original OSC OSCar. In a side by side of those two, the soft synth sounds pretty good against the real thing. Again though, it is not the real thing, and it does lack some edge.

Ron

System:
PT HD v8.0.1cs2/PT 9 HD3 Accel, 96 I/O, 96i I/O, Control |24, Midi I/O, Sync I/O

http://myspace.com/ronk
http://ron-k.net/studio.html
http://facebook.com/ron.k.music
Old 03-02-2006, 03:52 PM

The MOTU MX-4 is an often overlooked synth. Much modulation going on.
I also enjoy Atmosphere (mostly for sound design).
Maelstrom is cool (part of Reason).
Absynth is also very cool, and is quite a bargain as part of the NI-Komplete bundle.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:39 AM

Another MX4 user here...incredible synth!
Old 03-03-2006, 11:41 AM

Quote:

If you get the VST-RTAS adapter you may also consider ImpOSCar. I also have that and an original OSC OSCar. In a side by side of those two, the soft synth sounds pretty good against the real thing. Again though, it is not the real thing, and it does lack some edge.

Ron
All of the Gforce stuff I have, imposcar, minimonsta, mtron etc. run natively as RTAS plugs. No VST wrapper required.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:21 PM

hats off to the indigo tdm boys for their nice tutorials for beginners which come with their pug-ins. nice intro to synthesis.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:04 PM

Quote:
it really depends on what your prefs are. If stranded on a desert island with my rig (and a power generator!), I could do with NI Reaktor. It's heads and shoulders above everything else, but it's CPU hungry and has so many "faces" that getting to know them all can be overwhelming. But if you don't mind playing tourist it's well worthwhile.

Soon NI will introduce Kore, a DSP based hardware solution that could very well be the be-all-and-end-all of softsynths if it delivers just half of what it promises. Most people will agree that NI produces some of the best sounding softsynth out there, but many of us have been annoyed with the unstable way NI products run as RTAS on the Mac, If Kore can remedy that instability you might be looking at THE one-stop solution for softsynths.

As for all the "analog emulations" out there, I have very little time. If you run ANY analog Moog, Oberheim or whatever up against their digital counterparts (Arturia, McDSP, G-media etc.) you will hear in a second that the real thing still sits in a league of it's own. Just like Virtual Guitarist isn't going to put Steve Stevens out of work anytime soon!