Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-04-2011, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Digi 003 Rack Monitor Volume - crackling pot

I bet its because thats where they've installed the Brainwashing op-amp.

"S-P-E-N-D M-O-N-E-Y O-N C-R-A-P-Y H-A-R-D-W-A-R-E A-N-D A-N-D U-N-S-T-A-B-L-E S-O-F-T-W-A-R-E-! WHOOOHA-HA"

Old 05-04-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonFreeman View Post
How did you manage to contact Avid without paying $40 for a "support code"?

(Apparently asking a question now can cost up to $500 at Avid. I am truly amazed that people here still defend Avid with such passion.)
I beleive its option three on the menu for hardware issues. Of the 2-3-4 times I have ever had to call Digi or Avid I was never charged.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I beleive its option three on the menu for hardware issues. Of the 2-3-4 times I have ever had to call Digi or Avid I was never charged.
That is correct - repairs can choose option '3', which is free but only for a repair. If any diagnosis or troubleshooting is needed you'll be directed back to the standard support number which requires an ASC.

In the U.S. you can call 650.731.6100 and choose the option '3' to order a replacement volume pot. It's under $10 for the part, plus $10 for standard shipping or $25 for expedited shipping.

European and Asia Pacific customers should contact their dealer or an ARC in their area to order a replacement part. Prices in those areas will vary depending on the location and dealer or ARC representing that area.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:29 AM

Thumbs up Re: Digi 003 Rack Monitor Volume - crackling pot

For anyone wanting to fix this problem, At the end it cost me only 15 euro (incl shipping) because the store went after digi why it was so damn expensive!

I still haven had time to solder it in since my projects keep follow each other up. So i still have the pot laying here, i can measure it for its value and take a clean picture for those interested.

also i can send you a emaillink to the store where i got it from.

Let me know!
Old 04-11-2012, 10:07 AM

Talking Re: Digi 003 Rack Monitor Volume - crackling pot

To answer the request on how to from YAMAHADRUMS >>>

First of all, if you don't have any experience with soldering and electronics, skip all steps and bring the 003 to a service point

You can order the part from digi usa like above is mentioned or like i, get it from my store wich is www.msv.nl . Should be around 20 euro depending on shipping location. I don't have the part number but they can figger that out.

- Make sure your 003 is powerless (cordless) for atleast a day to power down the capacitors.

- Remove all screws from the top of the 003 and remove the top.

- The volume pot is on a small print at the frontside, it also includes the headphone pots. The print is connected with several wires and before you remove any of them, make sure you make pictures so you know wich one should be where on your way back.
http://www.ability.dds.nl/003/foto3.JPG

Remove all the connectors that are on the board and also on the right side the flatcable and on the left side the power cable that connects to the board behind it. Be carefull with them (flatcable) since they are glued for safety.This way you have more space to remove the board and screws.

I also removed the gray cable that is in front of the picture on the left side wich is connected to another board just to create some space. Dont mix up the cables, picture them or mark them if you are unsure.
http://www.ability.dds.nl/003/foto4.JPG

On the Volume pot board there is also a flatcable and on the bottom another big connector prob for voltages. Remove these also.
http://www.ability.dds.nl/003/foto6.JPG

Remove the screws when every connector is removed from the board. Use a magnetic tip for it, that way the screw cannot fall on another board that may have some juice left in the capacitors.

Remove the knobs from the volume master and the 2 headphones.
Wiggle the board a bit and turn it to get the board out, since the pots stickout on front of it and go thru a hole in the board behind it and front offcourse.

Now you hould have this in your hand
http://www.ability.dds.nl/003/foto5.JPG

Make sure you have the same pot that is used before you remove it! it should measure 20 K that is if you turn the pot to the left and measure between 2 legs, i thought leg 2 and 4. BUT i am not sure could be that is should turn all to the right but you get my point i hope.

Then cut all the 5 legs from the broken pot and also the 2 conections on the side carefully.

Remove the solder from the side where only the 3 pots are (stickout).
And also remove carefully the pin leftovers while heating the solder one by one. Carefully suck the solder away and try not to overheat the board or push to hard.

When you have all the holes emty you can put in the new pot, solder it on the topsite first (yes where the 3 pot only are) and make sure that the solder melts nicely through the holes. If all goes well you check the board on the other side to see if the soldering went thru. Else solder carefully on the other side to make sure it all connects.

The last picture was taken after i soldered the new one on the board, after that, you can reverse engineer it back together and take a well deserved cappucino as you can see on the picture

One last thing,
TAKE YOUR TIME, dont hurry else you may make a crucial mistake.
Goodluck !!
Old 04-11-2012, 10:09 AM

Oww yes, i forgot.
Remove the pot that is crackling, not the wrong one so check it before you remove a headphone pot :)

The value of the pot is indeed 20 K, just measured it.

And yess, mine is working perfectly again!!!
Old 04-11-2012, 10:22 AM

Thanks a ton again! Unfortunately I don't speak dutch and I cannot fill the contact form on their site.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:13 AM

For those who still suffer from crackling potmeter in DigiDesign 003. Well, this potmeter is not the top of the line. I've read terms of this forum, I hope I don't break the rules by sharing my info with the others to help them out...
As an electrically skilled guy, I made weeks of researches to repair my friend's DigiDesign003 crackling headphone+mainvolume potentiometers. We decided to find replacement-parts which is much cheaper than the $10 assumed here above. Here's the significant part of what I found:

I attached an Excel-datasheet-screenhot which contains all the possible candidates, however I couldn't find some of the potentiometers at distributors, USA people may have better luck to find the most fitting one. Fortunately BI Technologies in UK produces a rotary audio-potmeter line which fits the 14mm dimensions of the Digi003 built-in potentiometers. (Our local distributors could only acquire a similar to similar P140KH1-20AR20K from BI Technologies, it needed a little bit of tweaking, rasping, but it now operates fine and is durable - 30000 turns - on paper .)

The extracted info of the Excel, the most fitting models (datasheets help to find correct/closest part-number):
-BI Technologies(UK) P140KH-F25AR20K (confirmed to exist by BI contact but distributors haven't ordered this yet, needs 9 weeks of shipping if you manage to order it. Above I mention, BI P140KH1-20AR20K is proven to work and BI potmeters bear 30000 turns, 2 times more than other brands.)
-Bourns(USA) PTV142B40Y025AA203 (unfortunately DigiKey and Bourns told it's obsolete)
-Noble(USA) XV014112GPV-25F-15A20K (seems very similar to the original DigiDesign003 potmeter. I have no info, how to order. Maybe directly from manufacturer.)
-Alpha(USA) 3RP/1416G-CD1-D20K (probably orderable from Alpha directly by using their web-interface to assemble part-number.)
-Alpha(Taiwan) RV142F-40-25A-A20K ? (datasheet/xls may help with correct partnumber)
-Alps(Japan) RK14K12C0A0T (its value is 50kOhm, not the best replacement-candidate)

Distributors I found (in approximate order from biggest to smallest):
USA: Arrow, DigiKey, Mouser (shipping outside USA costs around $60)
Europe: Farnell/Newark, RS-online, Distrelec, Conrad, Allied, TME

Some last observations, advices to select correct part:
-must be 2 * 20kOhm, logarithmic scale for audio application (A taper)
-these 14mm dual 'audio' potmeters seem to have the same 'standard' pinout, but 'tone' (bass/treble) potmeters has a bit difference: common point is separated to 1st and 2nd leg. We simply cut the end of 1st leg to be short (not to reach PCB) and solder it to 2nd leg (see 1st photo), and it seemed to be perfect 'audio' potmeter substitute in our case. Check out datasheets or my excel for pinout-details.
-the shaft/rod of the potmeter should be 'flat' type with cca. 6mm diameter, 4.5mm flatted-part thickness and 12mm flatted-part length.
-the complete potentiometer should be around 25mm tall. datasheets state it as 'L' parameter, but be careful, it differs for potmeters with bearings, where it refers to the shaft-length. Drawings in atasheets make it clear hopefully. It seems that our potentiometer which unfortunately had bearing, still fits into the DigiDesign003 fine...
-most of the times the orientation of these panel-potmeters are referred to as 'vertical' which means they stand vertically and their legs are bent to fall into the PCB, as well as their securing point is at the bottom. The drawings in datasheets help to identify if its that way.

I hope this ordering & technical info was a little bit of help for some people. Sorry in advance if any of the presented info here were incorrect/misleading, I tried my best, and don't take any responsibility for the correctness, so use the info at your own risk...

Good luck, if you decide to acquire and replace the potmeter for yourself... For non-technical people I advise to ask someone skilled in soldering because it's hard to desolder the original potentiometers from the Digi003's 2-sided panel... Soldering flux comes handy to lower the melting temperature of tin. Flux can be cleaned with acetone after soldering the new pots in.

It would be useful if you might post any results here if you used any of the pots above...

Last edited by helper; 10-03-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:53 PM

Hello . Diode D19 is broken. Can not be identified. please help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200423_173308.jpg (53.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-29-2022, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakhrodin View Post
Hello . Diode D19 is broken. Can not be identified. please help

Hello !
marking on the diode is "BD"