Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 08:51 AM

Default Re: protools 7

Last Ounce I appologize for taking your thread so far off topic. But, yes when you buy Waves plug-ins you have ALL the formats AU / VST / RTAS.

Ha... Hey BinkBonk, that's the EXACT reason I came to Mac side!!! I started on a PC Penntium III 600Mhz with my 001. At that time -Waves- was only Mac!!!! PC side had hardly any good plug-ins and yep my buds said go Mac!!!!
Seriously, I have read and read all these horror stories about Logic and man I'm not seeing them!!! I installed it on a Tuesday I think. I went and ordered a Logic Pro lessons online that night and made sure I got one that taught about the enviorment window ofLogic. After that everything fell into place.
Don't get me wrong I love P.T.L.E. just wish it had more features of it's big brother HD acell systems and wish Digi would let the software use ALL of the Mac's power!
Logic Pro 7 rocks! I thought I'd miss my McDsp plug-ins, but in all truthfullness.... I don't. In OS9 P.T.L.E. and Macs ruled. But in OSX, it's a different story. It's not a Mac problem ... it's a Digi problem! BinkBonk no latency problems yet ... I use a Presonus Firebox along with my Apogee PSX-100SE and tube mic pre's. I got the Presonus because it was cheaper than buying Apogees' firewire card for my PSX. plus I got midi i/o ... headphone insert ... and enough outputs for 5.1 surround. And I hook my PSX-100SE S/PDIF in and out of the firebox. Plus the Firebox can run just thru the firewire for location recordings and has it's own mixer!! I grabbed the 2.0Ghz dualie because of it's PCI slots (For UAD-1's, down the road!) It's 4 gig ram max doesn't bother me, because by the time Apple brings out the Intel Macs, I'll have made enough $$$$$ to buy one of them. And Node my 2.0Ghz to what ever fast Mac is available. I drew out a four year plan of attack, and it's now in action

I'll definitely keep peaking in here at the D.U.C. I still consider it my home!!!!!
Old 08-16-2005, 10:28 AM

I like, when people map out long term plans and stick to 'em!
Sounds like you've made some good moves...
Good luck!
Old 08-16-2005, 11:06 AM

Gorilla - I used Logic for years before it went Mac. Went PTLE PC and somehow ended up on a Mac. I loved Logic and ignored the Environment. Somehow, Logic made me more midi oriented and working on audio edits was cumbersome. Routing in Logic was it's biggest flaw. Creating tracks was always a problem because the Arrange window did not follow the mix window. PT has a much clearer flow.

I have Logic Pro 7.1 and fiddled with it - and I know the software cold. Very solid and LP7 on a mac is like an HD system. You will run into hurdles when you try routing outboard gear and assigning plug-ins on live inputs. Don't throw out PT - you may find yourself wanting the simplicity and power of PT when you start tracking audio.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 08-16-2005, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Gorilla - I used Logic for years before it went Mac. Went PTLE PC and somehow ended up on a Mac. I loved Logic and ignored the Environment. Somehow, Logic made me more midi oriented and working on audio edits was cumbersome. Routing in Logic was it's biggest flaw. Creating tracks was always a problem because the Arrange window did not follow the mix window. PT has a much clearer flow.

I have Logic Pro 7.1 and fiddled with it - and I know the software cold. Very solid and LP7 on a mac is like an HD system. You will run into hurdles when you try routing outboard gear and assigning plug-ins on live inputs. Don't throw out PT - you may find yourself wanting the simplicity and power of PT when you start tracking audio.
Oh yes! Most definitely not dismissing P.T.L.E.!!!!! Only audio we do are our guitars and vocals. Everything else is midi -Bass/ Drums/ Orchestrations/ Choirs. I'm pretty much thru recording 'full' bands. With all the D.A.W.'s available- dang near everyone has one. If I ever run into a good size amount of $$$$$ and build a really big time studio ... recording full bands could be down the road.
Only audio I deal with now is finished C.D.'s from bands wanting DVD's and 'live Show' recordings for video shoots.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:24 PM

Anybody know if it's at all possible to get a 002 to work as a control surface in Logic? I notice that apple does not support it but I assume that's a political decision.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:18 AM

Interesting comments regarding LP7 and PTLE.

I was one of the few that had terrible problems with LP7.1. Not that my machine was a slouch, dual 2.7 PMac. For some reason, LP would just crash, too often, without any warning. I used a Yamaha 01X and to be honest I think that was causing most of the problems. However, I really wanted something secure and more immediate as LP is a huge bohemoth of application and needed a control surface.

So - I went the 002 Factory route a few weeks ago and haven't looked back.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing LP. I loved it and everything most of you have said I would agree with. It trounces PTLE on midi, but PTLE still leads the way with audio.

Do I regret selling LP and the 01X - not at all. Despite PTLE throwing the odd curve ball, I have produced more music on PTLE in the last few weeks than I have since I bought LP when it came out and ran on my old Dual 1.8.

I am interested to see what PTLE 7 will be like. Digi really have to pull something special out of the bag, the pressure is well and truly on. I believe they will, but they can't change it too much, certainly don't expect too much of a face lift. It may look clunky to most other DAWs but the fact of the matter is that the interface in my opionion is spot on, it works, its quick and there are not a million different screens. We just need better midi support and make better use of 64 bit dual chip machines.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Stu
Old 08-18-2005, 06:54 AM

Quote:
I have produced more music on PTLE in the last few weeks than I have since I bought LP when it came out and ran on my old Dual 1.8.
This is for me the bottom line. With LP and ultimately a short and disappointing few months with Cubase, I was spending more time as a programmer. The first week with PT however, I was recording music - track after track. Then LP7 came out and I started using it ( since I learned DAW on Logic) but again I found myself programming and setting it up and adjusting it and setting up a bunch of screensets and in 2 months, I recorded nothing. Back to PT and I record non stop. Starnge but I get caught up in the details and PT doesn't get me stuck in the setup.

For musician/tweakers, Logic is paradise and Space Designer is worth the price of LP alone, but for guys like me with adult Attention Deficit Disorder, I need the direct approach.

What were we talking about again?
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 08-18-2005, 07:01 AM

I'm very curious about PTLE 7 too...it seems like it should be very close? since PTLE is at 6.9 already...and i've heard nothing officially announced!

It will be intenresting to see what digi has been cooking up all this time...

Me, personally, i'm hoping they'll offer enough new features that i'll be more tempted to stick within PTLE for another while...without having to go Logic (its the money thing really)
Old 08-18-2005, 08:59 AM

I agree, it should be very interesting to see what 7 brings.

I'm going to stick with ProTools, although i may be picking up Logic Express soon, as a replacement for GarageBand. I'm also considering getting Digital Performer for Surround work.

Still, PTLE 7 should be very interesting, lets up Digi doesn't mess this one up!
Old 08-18-2005, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I'm very curious about PTLE 7 too...it seems like it should be very close? since PTLE is at 6.9 already...and i've heard nothing officially announced!

It will be intenresting to see what digi has been cooking up all this time...

Me, personally, i'm hoping they'll offer enough new features that i'll be more tempted to stick within PTLE for another while...without having to go Logic (its the money thing really)
He...he... yeah $999.00 for software (Logic Pro 7). But I got mine for $565.00 brand new (unregistered) in a sealed box.

P.T.L.E. 7 will be Digi's MOST important version ever, because if they don't up the features ... people will look elsewhere. With computers getting faster by the year and other D.A.W.'s taking advantage of the /WHOLE Computer- not just one processor/ and UAD-1's, Power core, and Logic's node system and now Waves has THESE. I'll admit, it's taking a little time to get use to the differences between P.T.L.E. and Logic Pro's audio features, but the power we've gained is incredible! And we're making music & music videos, not looking for work-arounds because we now do not see (remove some plug-ins cpu is full) Warning messages!!!! not yet anyways.
Hopefully Digi will not let down the Mac side of P.T.L.E. with version '7' ...... And hopefully we'll see before Leopard comes out!!!!

Jaguar .... Panther ... Tiger ... Leopard ....meow