Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2012, 10:52 AM

Default Tascam US-1800 Audio Interface

hello, I was wondering whether it is possible to run a Tascam US-1800 audio interface with pro tools 10 using a certain latency setting, as I have read that pro tools 10 works in buffer size and does not recognize the tascam's latency settings unless it is configured at a certain setting.
If this is not the case, does anyone know whether avid would provide updates to solve issues like this?.. as this interface is almost essential given my budget! I have 3GB of RAM, in case this is an issue.
Thanks.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Tascam US-1800 Audio Interface

Im not so sure they are going to use their resources for such.... As they made a HUGE decision to allow 3rd party interfacing to begin with... They are a business and If i was running it, I wouldn't want my employees working on something so a 3rd party can make money on the hardware side... So IMO for the update/fix.. I dont think so. Are you having issues or interested in getting PT but are not sure because of your interface?
Old 05-17-2012, 02:49 PM

The Tascam US-1800 must be in the Highest Latency setting for it to be able to work with Tools, if this option is not set on the driver of the interface before Pro Tools start up, Pro Tools wont even launch.

This has nothing to do with Avid & is all to do with the limitations of the Audio Interface you have. It does work with Pro Tools although smetimes I have had to restart Pro Tools due to the driver of the Interface being unstable at times.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:04 PM

I would suggest a new interface then bud... No hard feelings and just my opinion.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:17 AM

ah right yes i see where you are coming from. i bought the interface after reading it was compatible with pro tools but have been experiencing the buffer size issue. i have tried launching pro tools with the different latency settings, and, as dope5050 said, it works on highest latency however PT automatically closed after about 15 minutes before i could even connect anything up in I/O.
i do however know that tascam provide updates for their interfaces so i will definitely contact them to let them know about it. hopefully they have already been informed...
i would've much preferred an m-box interface however unfortunately they're beyond my budget, but thanks for the help guys!
Old 05-18-2012, 08:38 AM

I am running the Tascam 1800, with no problems. You just have to be sure that it is set to the right buffer size.It will work with the highest latency, which is 512 and also the high latency which is 256. Also it will work on the low latency setting, which is 64, I believe. I have run as many as 12 tracks at once, so far. I am running on a windows 7 based computer.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:18 AM

travgei - okay, maybe i just need to give it a go again. i was just put off by the fact it happened twice so i didn't want to risk messing anything up. im also running on windows 7, which is encouraging.
ill post back once ive tried it again, thanks for the help.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:29 AM

I had to re-validate my Windows 7 Home Premium and have been having major issues since. Before, my Tascam US 1800 was running fine with my Pro Tools 10 (besides having to turn the interface off and back on sometimes), but now PT 10 seems like it doesn't want to work with it at all. The program will load all the way, but when I open a session, I get an error message that the interface has changed settings and PT needs to reboot. I don't understand how something that worked just fine just starts bugging out.

I'm looking at an M-Audio interface, but for now I have to work with what I can if it's possible. Is there some setting in missing somewhere?
Old 09-17-2012, 05:02 PM

too late for me i just read all the issues the tascam has i just bought one and i dont know how ot make it works with protools 10 it says the select asio device couldn't be initialized plesae choose another audio device
Old 10-13-2012, 11:19 AM

I have the Tascam US-1800 and once I figured out it ONLY works with PT10 if it buffers at 512 which is IT'S highest latency , I've been VERY , VERY HAPPY. Now was it fun figuring this out? NO WAY. Would it kill Tascam to document how to config. with PT.? They sure could sell a lot more of these if they did. Anyway , after a few visits to the control panel in windows to check if the Tascam was at it's highest latency PRIOR to launching PT10 , it's been pretty reliable. It appeared to matter if I powered the Tascam on first and off last to retain this setting. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit on a Rain Solstice intel Ivy Quad core.