Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2013, 01:14 PM

Default Preview clips, using just the keyboard?

Basically, doing a sound replacement for a short video game. Have an abundance of clips I've recorded. Want to cycle through them to find the best one(s).

The only way I know to preview clips is to hold option and click and hold on a clip to hear its full duration. This is tedious and time consuming !

Is there a way I can just select a clip then press the up and down keys to cycle through the clips hearing the full duration of each clip? Similar to what Logic does?

Cheers to anyone who can help.

*edit: I know you can open the workspace window and turn on 'auto preview" and "spacebar plays preview" which is what I want, but the preview window is always floating, is there a way to lock it down or make it a part of the actual window configuration so it stays on top. When i click the edit window it disappears.

Last edited by phillyt2k; 11-27-2013 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 11-27-2013, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Preview clips, using just the keyboard?

Option+Semicolon opens the Workspace. You can click'n'drag files to the edit window, and the Workspace will stay open. I like to zoom out the timeline a bit, and drag files from the Workspace in Shuffle mode.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:12 AM

yeh but as soon as i click on the edit window, workspace disappears. the only work around is to make the edit window a bit shorter on the left hand side and stick the workspace next to it.

also I cant seem to shrink the workspace width down any further, i need to get rid of the end collumn. its taking up value screen real estate
Old 11-27-2013, 08:35 AM

Maybe a Window Configuration works better for you?

Window Configuration.jpg
Old 11-27-2013, 12:18 PM

I'll still have to re size the edit window to stop the workspace disappearing though won't I?

another thing, every time I drag a sample from my workspace, the task manager appears and then just stays there. I have to close it every time which is getting to be a bit annoying.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyt2k View Post
I'll still have to re size the edit window to stop the workspace disappearing though won't I?

another thing, every time I drag a sample from my workspace, the task manager appears and then just stays there. I have to close it every time which is getting to be a bit annoying.
You lay out the windows the way you want them, with the Workspace visible, and then save this a Window Configuration.

I don't know why the task manager opens. I know that waveform overviews are calculated when importing files into PT, and this is shown in a progress bar in the Task manager, but it doesn't open automatically here (PT 11.0.2).
Old 11-27-2013, 12:41 PM

And yes, it's a big advantage to have the windows side by side, and at least so that one doesn't completely cover the other after a focus shift.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:27 AM

I understand the use of window configurations, it just seems pointless at the time. Once My window is set up how I want it (i.e. edit window next to workspace), I have no reason to deviate just yet.

I suppose if I was flicking backwards and forwards from different layouts like the mixer and full edit window it could be useful.

The task manager thing is still damn annoying though, best I have come up with is drag it to the very bottom of the screen and leave it so it's only just showing.

Cheers for your help I think some things though are just better in Logic though