Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2006, 11:29 PM

Default intel core 2 duo vs pentium d and pentium 4 chips

hi. i am trying to build a new pc for protools 7 le. i am in a dilemma as i do not know what cpu processor would be better. for my budget i was thinking about getting the new intel core 2 duo 2.67 ghz processor for about $500. However, i noticed that the pentium d and pentium 4 chips offer 3.4 ghz and higher for even less of a price. i was wondering what would be better to get and why, as i am trying to optimize my performance and utilize my equipment as best as possible. i am planning on running multiple applications, including reason with protools. i also plan on using multiple usb 2 connections. any insight would be much appreciated. thank you.
-djdevelop
Old 11-02-2006, 03:37 AM

Default Re: intel core 2 duo vs pentium d and pentium 4 ch

The Intel Core 2 Duo hands down. This is the latest Intel Technology and it blows the doors off it's previous units. Power comsumption is way down, so no more melting Mobo and expensive aftermarket cooling systems. That chips out performs the other chips you mentioned in a big way.

Do a search on goolge and read the many tech reviews and you will see for yourself or better yet
read some of the many post hear about the performance jumps seen here.

I hope this helps.

Oh no, not the sprinklers again.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:58 AM

If you are really wanting to load up the machine definitely go with a Core 2 Duo and save for the fastest CPU you can possibly afford. I've been using a 3.0 gig Core 2 Duo with 2 gig of RAM and it has been astounding me how many plugins I can run. Pushing your budget a bit more now will definitely pay off..
Old 11-02-2006, 05:32 PM

thx for your help
Old 11-07-2006, 07:27 AM

Hi Audio Boffin,
I saw your post about Intel core 2 duo and thought you might be able to help. I have a laptop intel core duo 1.73Ghz. with 2gig RAM. My other platform is Mac where PT has performed well, but I needed to use more processor power to run Amplitube2 so I installed and upgraded on the PC, Its running 6.4cs9. So far so good, however when I tried to play or record it gave back the usual cpu tasks conflicting and held off interupts errors.
Anyway, after a full week of net trawling the only solution I could find was to disable one of my processors. It worked! This info was from a DUC forum where it stated (I think it was the digidesign moderator) that dual core was not supporrted by PT. Now my task manager shows 100% cpu use constantly, although PT doesn't hack or stutter, so I guess something is going over the other processor.
So my question is, how come you are running Core 2 Duo succesfully? Is it my PT version or something else. I would really like to run my PC at full strength. Running on both processors as an open plugin (but without recording) Amplitude2 only used 25% of my cpu's, even with huge string of stomp boxes and rack effects.
Thanks for your time
Aston
Old 11-07-2006, 03:12 PM

Quote:
So my question is, how come you are running Core 2 Duo succesfully? Is it my PT version or something else. I would really like to run my PC at full strength.
It is your version of ProTools. Dual core support isn't available until PTLE 7.0.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:34 PM

Thanks for the prompt answer Cavet your eruptor,
now I just have to shell out for the software and figure out how many plugins are incompatible. So starts the merry-go-round again. OS/Software versions/plugins/Computer etc etc. I'm too damn busy upgrading my studio to make any music! Lucky I got the DUC to help me out

Thanks