Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2002, 12:45 AM

Default i\'ll make it simple

is it possible to use the headphone jack on my ibook to monitor the mix while recording through the inputs on the mbox?

Joel
Old 05-20-2002, 12:48 AM

Default Re: i\'ll make it simple

recording while using the headphone jacks isn't essential...but is it possible to use the headphone jacks on the ibook to monitor an mbox protools setup?
Old 05-21-2002, 04:29 AM

alright man...now all of you have become apart of my adventure...or thats how I imagine it. Ive had no responses to my inquiry. Ive jumped into the past posts with multiple searches on the subject. I was about to buy the darned thing and test it...then return it if it didn't do what I wanted. But I found out, in one of my searches, that its not possible to monitor the sound of the mbox protools le through the internal sound. My concern then leads to the latecny issue that ive experienced with the playback of my virtual instruments through another usb device. So whats the f'n question?...IS THERE A SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNT OF DELAY BETWEEN THE TRIGGER OF A VIRTUAL INSTUMENT AND THE RESPONSE OF THE MBOX PRODUCING THE SOUND?
Joel
Old 05-21-2002, 09:16 AM

virtual instruments? that sounds like midi.

there is a mix knob on the front that sends signal to the monitor outs (I think) and this overcomes like latency issues
Old 05-21-2002, 07:24 PM

awwww finaly a response...
What I mean by virtual is one that is processed by the computer, i.e., koblo, reason...software that simulates synths and samplers.
So the sound is coming from within the computer, the sound manager or direct connect. My objective is to beable to record the midi track in protools while monitoring the instrument.
The factor for latency starts with the time to process the sound, followed by the route to the converters. Using protools free and routing the virtual synths through the sound manager to the built head phone output produces a legitmate latency for recording. But when I hooked up the imic to monitor the virtual synth I realized a considerable amount of delay. The reason that came to mind was because of the time to travel through the usb pipeline, but I am not sure.
I was considering the mbox...a usb device. I was concerned that the same delay would be an issue, which brings me to my first question...Is there substantial amount of delay when virtual synths are monitored through the mbox?

The one work around I was considering. for which I use in protools free and the imic...is to route the sound through the built in sound headphone jack for monitoring while using the imic for recording. I was going to do the same with the mbox in place of the imic. But I found in an earlier post that it is not possible to monitor the through the built in sound with the mbox plugged in...damn it.

My purchase for the mbox is pending because of this issue. If I could get an answer to the first question, well it would be easier to decide. Im considering purchasing a s/pdif input device, rosseta, and a pre by dankin and sticking with protools free, eight tracks works with me. And if protools free for the mac osx comes around you can count on super low latency, multiple inputs via the sound manger, and 24bit support. Buuuutttt, if latency is not an issue with the mbox...well...theres another possibility...if not then I would rather spend my money on some good mic pres and A/D converters then a tech device with ok quality.

any responses are greatly apreciated...thanks again to the last post...sincerely Joel
Old 05-22-2002, 07:54 PM

heres the latest work around...if infact the mbox does have some latency with virtual synths. It is possible IF IF IF IF IF internal sounds can be monitored through the internal setup...i.e., send koblo or reason through the built in headphone output and the Protools LE mix through the mbox. Then I would mix both with an external mixer...this is just for monitring and recording in order to avoid the delay...if there is a delay. So...my QUESTION, lets see who out there in the wonderful world of digi can come through-------->IS IT POSSIBLE TO MONITOR SYSTEM SOUND THROUGH THE COMPUTER HEADPHONE JACK AND PROTOOLS LE SOUNDS THROUGH THE MNOX AT THE SAME TIME?
Old 05-22-2002, 07:55 PM

MNOX=MBOX