Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2009, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Pro tools 8 m-powered and vista 64

spkgtr, actually several 'real' DAWs are now 64bit native for Windows.

Sonar, Cubase 5 & Audition 3 are native now.
Nuendo 4.2 is 64bit but IS a beta version.

Some plugs are 64bit ready, like Massey& PSP Audio. Some don't run at all (regardless if the host app is 64bit native or not), like Waves.

Of course pretty much every OSX DAW+plugs are 64bit as well, but changin to a Mac is a bit extreme.

By the time Windows 7 'stabilizes' <rolls eyes>, maybe Digi will had enough time to get PTHD, LE, & MP to run natively in a 64bit world. Now getting Waves off their butts...

-1LF
Old 06-11-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Lowfreq View Post
spkgtr, actually several 'real' DAWs are now 64bit native for Windows.

Sonar, Cubase 5 & Audition 3 are native now.
Nuendo 4.2 is 64bit but IS a beta version.
Indeed, but see how limited those choices really are? It's not "every other major DAW", it's only a very few.
Also, IMHO, only Sonar is what I would consider "stable" under a 64-bit OS, (they've been at it the longest) and then only with it's stock plugins.

Quote:
Some don't run at all (regardless if the host app is 64bit native or not), like Waves.
And what would you suggest for those already heavily inve$ted in plugins such as these (and many others)?

Wait?

This is pretty much my point.

Quote:
By the time Windows 7 'stabilizes' <rolls eyes>,
Well, it's definitely looking much better than Vista.
Quote:
maybe Digi will had enough time to get PTHD, LE, & MP to run natively in a 64bit world.
One would hope, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Quote:
Now getting Waves off their butts...
I'm definitely not holding my breath for that either.

Don't get me wrong; I'm chomping at the bit for the benefits of a 64-bit operating system. I just don't think it's realistic to think that it's coming anytime in the near future.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 06-11-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote- 'Indeed, but see how limited those choices really are? It's not "every other major DAW", it's only a very few.
Also, IMHO, only Sonar is what I would consider "stable" under a 64-bit OS, (they've been at it the longest) and then only with it's stock plug ins.'

Well first off, who said 'every other major DAW'? And technically every major DAW has an Apple OSX version of their wares. So, yes , every major DAW offers a 64bit version...natively. Semantics a side, does it get more 'major' than Sonar, Nuendo, Audition, & Cubase? What, the only ones left are Traktion, SAW, & Samplitude! And they are not exactly as popular as the ones I listed.

Quote - 'And what would you suggest for those already heavily inve$ted in plug ins such as these (and many others)?
Wait?
This is pretty much my point.'

Wait? No. Sell them? Yes. Waves is not the only game in town anymore. Barring that, it depends, again, how badly going to 64bit means to you. If so, go the OSX route. What else can you do?

Quote - 'Don't get me wrong; I'm chomping at the bit for the benefits of a 64-bit operating system. I just don't think it's realistic to think that it's coming anytime in the near future. '

Well the term 'near' future seems a bit of an oxymoron. But I hear what you are saying. DAW makers, like most software companies, will make to what ever the masses use. So until we use 64bit OS's all the time, we'll be waiting. Apple made a point to go all 64bit with OSX (even before that). Getting Microsoft, today, to do it maybe easier with features like virtual machines. In Windows 7, you can run legacy apps, say PT8 for XP, seamlessly. Will it 'really' work? Maybe, but the technology and thus the excuse for staying 32bit for 'legacy' issues is wearing mighty thin. The jig is up.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Apple made a point to go all 64bit with OSX (even before that).
You might want to check your facts... as far as I was aware (and I am an OSX user...), the upcoming "Snow Leopard" will be the first (and only) 64-bit OSX

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 06-11-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote - 'You might want to check your facts... as far as I was aware (and I am an OSX user...), the upcoming "Snow Leopard" will be the first (and only) 64-bit OSX'

As OSX user then you know that OSX was hybrid kernal developed (in part) from Steve Jobs NeXT days. It is Unix based and has 32bit variants for devices such as iPhones and iPod Touches, & AppleTVs. But the core OS used in Intel Macs is 64bit. They made versions of 32bit OSX for certain model Power PCs and such early on. It is true that Leopard and Snow Leopard have been the biggest pushes for 64bit apps to enter the Mac world and proabably a smack to Microsoft and the infamous '4GB RAM limit'. But, yes, OSX has offered a 64bit OS for long time.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
That's not the reason at all (referring to digifriend).

No one working here is resting on their laurels or purposefully delaying the release of anything. It would be extremely bad business for us to do so. Any delays are due to the extent of engineering resources necessary to make it happen.

The bigger picture is that there have been significant OS roadblocks to 64 bit support in Pro Tools, only recently addressed by service pack updates. Not to mention the overall problems almost everyone has seen with Vista. There were enough OS issues with Leopard through it's first few versions to make development even for a 32 bit OS time-consuming. Now we have Windows 7 and Snow Leopard coming down the pike, with all the new coding that will be necessary to support them.

At any company you have to deal with the realities of how to properly manage the engineering resources you have available. With the plethora of OS versions, the need to keep developing new features so people buy your products which allow you to stay in business and fixing issues specific to each platform and OS, it's not easy to do. Of course we want to do it and as soon as possible, however the reality is that it's a large undertaking.
So the only problem is engineering resources? You should hire the engineering team for Cakewalk SONAR then. They have been making some pretty fast and stable audio software for x64.

Don't hate me for mentioning the competition - you should be looking at the competing brands and what they're doing right.

But given the decisions Digi made about not including ADC in Pro Tools Native, and still refusing to do it, I'd say that sadly Digidesign hasn't been looking at what other software packages have included for ages.
Please explain to me how Pro Tools is special when compared to other software? How is the company planning to get new customers without even offering comparable feature sets, or listening to the current users (like the feature request poll that didn't include ADC)...?

Is Digidesign doing SO bad, that there isn't even budget to redo the code or just add that feature in a CS update?
Old 06-16-2009, 06:06 AM

Just for all you out there...

Windows 7 has the ORIGINAL kernal that WAS in Vista. It was replaced with
the kernal from Server 2003 and hence all the issues it had going to a DT OS
scenario. Win7 runs faster because the kernal is SMALLER and uses so much
less resources compared to Visat that its ridiculous.

Everyone knows INCLUDING MS, except one person apparently, that Vista is
MS' biggest failure since Windows For Warehouses (Workgroups). Hell if you
bought on Day 1 availabilty and did an install, it connected back to MS and
downloaded 600 MEG of "fixes"...WTF?!?!?!

Now all of you lamenting Vista and 64 bit...just wait...

Windows 7 will no doubt require virtually ALL HW manufacturers to rewrite
their device drivers and god only knows how much legacy support will be
provided.

Then of course there are all the SW companies that need to do major rewrites
of their code as well AND the expense of maintaining two sets of 64 bit code
AND the support that goes with it.

IMO, Digi has a marvelous opportunity here to go 64 bit in Windows 7 and to
do it early.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:10 AM

I'm currently running Pro Tools 8.0cs3 on Windows 7 64-bit. This biggest advantage of using 64-bit is that I can now have more RAM for hungry plugins.

My system is:
ASUS P5QL Pro Motherboard
8GB OCZ DDR2 800
Core 2 Quad Q8200 CPU
1TB Audio Drive
Radeon X300 Dual Video Card
Audiophile 2496
3 x UAD-1's
Coolmax (Fanless) CF-400B Power Supply

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

Through my own experimentation and installation woes, I have come to the conclusion (as others have posted on this forum) that you have to:

1. Install Vista 64 (and all software + plugins you will be using)
2. UPGRADE to Windows 7 64-Bit

The biggest issue I've encountered was the ILok drivers - they would not install on Windows 7 (fresh build) - but they will install on Vista 64 and then get "upgraded" somehow by the Windows 7 installation.

My Liquid Mix won't run under Windows 7 64-Bit. Not a big deal for me, as I've never really used it, and prefer the UAD-1 plugins because they have a better GUI to them. The Liquid Mix was never my "goto" device on mixes, so no biggie there.

Finally, I was getting errors (and system hangs) when loading sessions that have many UAD-1 plugins on them. My workaround for this issue is to "make inactive" the AUX tracks that have these plugins on them, and then once the session is open - to make them active. It is an extra step - and I have to remember to "save" the session with the tracks "inactive" - but alas, it's a useable workaround.

Hope this helps.

-D
Old 06-19-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun90210 View Post
I've read this entire thread and I agree PT has totally dropped the ball here. I realize its not easy but you are supposed to be a 'leader'. There is NO excuse. Get with it. I'm staring at a brand new laptop with Vista 64 and a fresh out of the box Project Mix and it doesnt work. I mean I read all the comptability charts and just couldnt believe it wouldnt work at all in 64 vista.

Have you installed the M-Audio 64 bit drivers for Project Mix. I am looking to build a system (quad core) and am planning Vista 64bit. If PTMP 8 runs in 32 compatibility then I am keen to make the move as it doesnt make sense to build a new 32bit OS based system. Otherwise is my license also MAC compatible ? - more $$ but I understand they allow more RAM access .
Old 06-21-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjorte View Post
That makes you a Beta tester, I guess. Becoming one, you must have signed a Non Disclosure Agreement of some sort? Doing that, you must have agreed not to disclose any information about the product, like you just did. Or am i wrong?
lmao - wooooops.
And there he bloooooooows.....