Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2012, 09:45 AM

Default XMON Automatically Muting

Hey everyone, my 6 1/2 year old XMON just started automatically muting. I've verified that the firmware for the XMON, as well as D-Command (24 faders), is up to date. I've also tried resetting the XMON (holding down Mute button while powering up). Last, I've reconnected the cable between the XMON and the main D-Command unit and made sure the cable has no hard-angle bends.

Any other suggestions before I contact Avid support (a process I dread)?

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2012, 02:47 PM

Default Re: XMON Automatically Muting

Whenever I've seen a x-mon automatically mute, it's due to a power issue. In one studio, the Ac voltage was dipping low and another studio was having brown outs. Anything like that going on?
Old 10-15-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
Whenever I've seen a x-mon automatically mute, it's due to a power issue. In one studio, the Ac voltage was dipping low and another studio was having brown outs. Anything like that going on?
Thanks. Will check it out. We have pretty rock solid power. But, you never know.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:52 PM

this happens on ours. i can never figure out what triggers it. when i hit a certain combination of buttons it seems to short out or something...
Old 10-19-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmattchan View Post
this happens on ours. i can never figure out what triggers it. when i hit a certain combination of buttons it seems to short out or something...
Problem solved, temporarily, on my end by removing the XMON from its rack with an HD I/O, computer and other PT-related gear. The tech at Advanced Audio Electronics Repair (Los Angeles) suggested the move. Evidently, in very rare circumstances, the XMON can be prone to subtle power irregularities that can cause grounding issues. As he explained it, these grounding issues cause the XMON to auto mute if racked with other gear (I don't remember the details of his explanation). Needless to say, the solution worked. Now I just need to figure out how to "safely" get the XMON back in the rack.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambison View Post
Problem solved, temporarily, on my end by removing the XMON from its rack with an HD I/O, computer and other PT-related gear. The tech at Advanced Audio Electronics Repair (Los Angeles) suggested the move. Evidently, in very rare circumstances, the XMON can be prone to subtle power irregularities that can cause grounding issues. As he explained it, these grounding issues cause the XMON to auto mute if racked with other gear (I don't remember the details of his explanation). Needless to say, the solution worked. Now I just need to figure out how to "safely" get the XMON back in the rack.
I would say that it is enough to use hum frees:

http://www.adamhall.com/en/ah_19_Par...ng_Kit_M6.html

Also ensure that xmon got some space below and above.

Also a good UPS is never obsolete.
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 10-22-2012, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanswurstlsepp View Post
I would say that it is enough to use hum frees:

http://www.adamhall.com/en/ah_19_Par...ng_Kit_M6.html

Also ensure that xmon got some space below and above.

Also a good UPS is never obsolete.
Good call. Thanks for the info! Will do.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:12 PM

Angry Re: XMON Automatically Muting

I have an XMON unit too, and the red ute light is on right now, and I don't get any sound from the speakers or headphones. This has never happened before. My equipment is about 3 months old. I tried unplugging the XMON but it comes back on the same way. Tried restarting the computer too, but same result. I don't think my power is bad because I have all those huge Monster power rack mounted power conditioners/regulators/pdu's, plus pac backup units.

I haven't changed anything in my studio, so I don't know why this would just happen all of a sudden.

Very frustrating.
Logic Pro
Euphonix System 5 MC
UAD-2 OCTO ULTIMATE
Komplete 8 Ultimate
Ivory
LASS
Lots of other cool stuff.

Now all I need is to learn how to work it all!
Old 12-30-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearJamStudios View Post
I have an XMON unit too, and the red ute light is on right now, and I don't get any sound from the speakers or headphones. This has never happened before. My equipment is about 3 months old. I tried unplugging the XMON but it comes back on the same way. Tried restarting the computer too, but same result. I don't think my power is bad because I have all those huge Monster power rack mounted power conditioners/regulators/pdu's, plus pac backup units.

I haven't changed anything in my studio, so I don't know why this would just happen all of a sudden.

Very frustrating.
You might get a better response if you started one new thread instead of resurrecting three old ones...

BTW: Cross posting is a violation of the TOS...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-30-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
You might get a better response if you started one new thread instead of resurrecting three old ones...

BTW: Cross posting is a violation of the TOS...
SOrry... it seems that on most forums I am on, they frown on you starting a new thread on a certain topic when one already exists. Not sure what "cross posting" is.
Logic Pro
Euphonix System 5 MC
UAD-2 OCTO ULTIMATE
Komplete 8 Ultimate
Ivory
LASS
Lots of other cool stuff.

Now all I need is to learn how to work it all!