Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2017, 10:22 AM

Default Re: iLok freaking out today:Authorization Exception

Quote:
Originally Posted by idanaltman View Post
...does anyone have an idea how to solve this problem on an offline computer?
Looks like you already solved this on your system, but for others with offline systems... download ILM to a USB drive/etc. using an online computer, then move that to your offline computer to install it.

I'll add that to the "Authorization exception" when launching Pro Tools article.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:30 AM

Default Re: iLok freaking out today:Authorization Exception

Quote:
Originally Posted by idanaltman View Post
This is happening to me on pro tools 11. I'm on an offline computer and this happened the first time today. does anyone have an idea how to solve this problem on an offline computer?

Download the installer and figure out how to get it on the offline machine, or put the offline machine online. Which ever is easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 08-16-2017, 12:07 PM

Default I lok disgrace

yesterday my cranesong phoenix would not authorize nor my slate raven, and my echo boy..i resynced after checking licenses... NOTHING..then i email slate and they say put in new i LOK software..do it everything works after trashing databases …thinking i might have to reinstall protools etc etc.. so soundtoys later in the day sends an apology to its users saying if you have blah blah blah you need the newer i lok installer now.. other people lost their protools authorizations..about a dozen people all complained on our philadelphia recording community site about losing stuff

Firstly, I lok should notify people of changes that effect their license keys and software and a persons lively hood … i can't believe avid and other provide don't get on i Lok..and if i lok who should notify don't, the software plug people should ..soundtoys, albeit a few hrs AFTER the faux pas did the right thing

your opinions or experiences of yesterday debacle
Old 08-16-2017, 12:27 PM

Default Re: I lok disgrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixx View Post
yesterday my cranesong phoenix would not authorize nor my slate raven, and my echo boy..i resynced after checking licenses... NOTHING..then i email slate and they say put in new i LOK software..do it everything works after trashing databases …thinking i might have to reinstall protools etc etc.. so soundtoys later in the day sends an apology to its users saying if you have blah blah blah you need the newer i lok installer now.. other people lost their protools authorizations..about a dozen people all complained on our philadelphia recording community site about losing stuff...
Sorry that this impacted you.

Curious if you did not get the error dialog (shown here) which says to "Go to www.ilok.com and download and run the latest License Service Installer."

Not aware of anyone losing licenses because they were not up to date. Will contact you directly to get their info so that we can investigate.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:07 PM

Default Wtf pace?!?

I know this isn't an Avid thing, but I don't know where else to vent about it...

How is it OK to just roll out an update that makes all pro tools systems just not work until the update is installed without making an effort to tell anyone that you are going to do it.

Our entire facility came to a stand-still this morning until I figured out DOING MY OWN RESEARCH that there was a necessary update to the PACE ilok license manager. So now after figuring all that out, going around and updating all of our computers as they couldn't be used for billable session work that was scheduled, I am having to catch up on all of the random emails and stuff I have been missing out on all morning, and have yet to begin any of my actual editing that I need to do today.

Now I am going to be stuck working until some time tomorrow morning to meet a deadline because PACE didn't have the courtesy to tell anyone that they were going to ruin everyone's F%*(&ing morning!

Absolutely furious. You guys suck golf balls through garden hoses.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:16 PM

Default Wtf pace?!?

Pace iLok. Again!

Avid needs to seriously consider weaning themselves off iLok based licensing all together.

This and (worse) past technical and support missteps and behavior of Pace shows they have serious problems. They just seem to have such an anti-customer approach, what did they think would happen when licenses expired? I hope Avid is working to make sure this does not happen again, including forward date QA testing. They seriously need to be reconsidering Pace and what to do with their iLok technology.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-16-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Wtf pace?!?

I totally agree with all of this.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Wtf pace?!?

Sorry that this affected you Inglesworth. We could have been more proactive in alerting customers. Note that this didn't make all Pro Tools systems not work, it occurred with systems running older versions of software... Pro Tools, Plug-Ins, and/or License Support 3.1.5/earlier (installed by iLok License Manager). The iLM update released back in March eliminated this. The error dialog (shown here) included instructions to go to ilok.com to download/install the update. Was this dialog not presented on your systems?
Old 08-16-2017, 03:31 PM

Default Re: iLok freaking out today: Authorization Exception

The solution to this, whether you are online or offline, is to download and install the new ilok license manager from ilok.com.

If your computer is offline, I suggest you either put it online to download the installer, or download it on an online computer and move it over with a usb drive or something like that (good ol' sneaker-net).

Why they would put out an update that would cause everyone's systems to cease functioning, and then not make a good effort to tell anyone about what the problem might be? I don't know. Baffles me that they would be so absolutely clueless. they have everyone's email address from when we all created our ilok accounts. How hard could it really be to take a database of email addresses and send an email with some kind of warning?
Old 08-16-2017, 03:47 PM

Default Re: iLok freaking out today: Authorization Exception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglesworth View Post
The solution to this, whether you are online or offline, is to download and install the new ilok license manager from ilok.com.
True, and that info was included in the warning dialog. I'm still asking if customers for some reason didn't see that, so wouldn't have known what the solution was.

Quote:
Why they would put out an update that would cause everyone's systems to cease functioning, and then not make a good effort to tell anyone about what the problem might be? I don't know...
There certainly could have been more advanced notice (email, tech note, etc.) but this did not impact everyone (the 3.1.6 release from March addressed this) and the solution was provided in the error dialog that was posted which should have lead users to the solution. I'm trying to understand why that notice was ineffective.