Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2013, 10:10 PM

Default Finished 30 day trial, purchased boxed version - question about installation

Hi there -

So I purchased an ilok a month ago to enable the 30 day trial, and I see one comes in the box as well. It seems I could just use my existing ilok with the new activation code and I'd be good to go without actually installing the software...as it is already on my drive from the trial. But I thought I'd ask first...

And if this is the way to proceed, it's been my understanding that the trial was a complete version of PT 10. Is there anything I'd be missing in terms of virtual instruments or plug ins by not using the installer discs?

Thanks - just don't want to over complicate or screw it up!
Old 06-04-2013, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Finished 30 day trial, purchased boxed version - question about installation

Just download the permanent license to your existing iLok key and keep the brand new as a spare for future use. There is no difference. Also, there is no difference in trial software and release software, it is all the same, only difference being the time limit in the trial license.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:06 PM

Default Re: Finished 30 day trial, purchased boxed version - question about installation

As Jfreak said keep both iloks, you'll never know when the spare will come in handy
Old 06-05-2013, 05:49 AM

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:57 PM

Ok guys, feeling kind of dense, but I need some more help here.

I waited until my 30 days were fully up to register because I anticipated a few snags - was probably a good idea. Then iLok was down for the weekend...

So once back up, I went to iLok and realized that what I had in the PT box was a registration ID, not a license or activation code. So I went to Avid.com, set up an account, and went through the process to register my copy of PT. I expected to receive an ilok license code at the end of the process, but this hasn't happened. So...I'm not in. I don't even see anything under 'my products". Part of the problem seems to be that I don't have anything to download here, I have a boxed version. But I don't want to install the boxed version as I already have it on my computer from the trial as previously discussed. And as far as iLok is concerned at this point I have nothing but an expired PT 10 trial license...

As I said, I feel pretty thick and as if I'm missing something obvious. But I'm also getting desperate because I really need to be able to use this tomorrow.

Any help/insight will be greatly appreciated!!!!
Old 06-09-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwolf View Post
Ok guys, feeling kind of dense, but I need some more help here.

I waited until my 30 days were fully up to register because I anticipated a few snags - was probably a good idea. Then iLok was down for the weekend...

So once back up, I went to iLok and realized that what I had in the PT box was a registration ID, not a license or activation code. So I went to Avid.com, set up an account, and went through the process to register my copy of PT. I expected to receive an ilok license code at the end of the process, but this hasn't happened. So...I'm not in. I don't even see anything under 'my products". Part of the problem seems to be that I don't have anything to download here, I have a boxed version. But I don't want to install the boxed version as I already have it on my computer from the trial as previously discussed. And as far as iLok is concerned at this point I have nothing but an expired PT 10 trial license...

As I said, I feel pretty thick and as if I'm missing something obvious. But I'm also getting desperate because I really need to be able to use this tomorrow.

Any help/insight will be greatly appreciated!!!!
What instructions are you following?

At the end of the process on Avid.com, Avid sends some magic in the background to iLok.com that causes a licens to be deposited in your iLok.com account. So you go to iLok.com, log into your account and sync your new license to your iLok dongle. Hopefully this will all work fine with the changes just happened at iLok.com.

You should not be trying to random walk through this, find the instructions.

Darryl
Old 06-09-2013, 10:15 PM

Welcome to the community zwolf!

If you bought a boxed copy of Pro Tools 10 with no Activation Card then the iLok would be pre-authorized. You can confirm this by plugging it in, then launching Pro Tools 10.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:21 PM

Yep - just figured that out!

Thanks Jeffro and Darryl. That was a short lived problem