Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Generic Question: LE and processor card - why not?

So this may be a dumb question, and since I'm fairly new to Pro Tools, I may be missing something, but thought I'd throw this out.

After being on the DUC for a year or so and reading a lot of the posts and issues folks see, it seems like a lot of the issues with host based systems is that you are limited to around 32 tracks and limited number of plug ins (dreaded -9136 and related errors). Latency also seems to be a big issue that pops up weekly.

I myself have been hindered and frustrated at times by these issues and it got me to thinking, why doesn't anyone make a card for host based systems that takes the pressure off the processors, while alowing the machine to do it's thing, but at a lower cost than TDM systems?

I remember the days when video cards were integrated into the motherboard, and began having the same issues when games got more processor hungry. Now you just buy a video card for $200 - $800 and it takes the pressure off the system.

Why hasn't this technology filtered down to home recording? I'd love to have a TDM system, but lately I've found myself about $20,000 short of the required startup But if there were a "mid-level" recording system with a processor card that would alleviate a lot of basic host issues, man I'd jump on it.

I'm super happy with my Pro Tools setup, and I'm not complaining, just curious why this hasn't happened yet.

Anyhow, would love to hear some thoughts and if you think this might be coming

Regards
Jason
Old 03-11-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Generic Question: LE and processor card - why not?

Phew!
Digidesign has to protect its profits.
There is a powercore card (both pci and firewire) that will independently run VST plug ins, don't know if it works with the VST to RTAS Wrapper, thus taking a lot of pressure off the CPU.
Simply put,
digi limit the power of the LE systems to make the TDM systems seem so much more powerful.
then you can keep charging more money for the bigger systems, as long as people will pay it believing it is superior.
the more powerful computers get the harder it will be to soley rely on hardware to sell your product.

Quote:
Why hasn't this technology filtered down to home recording?
Come on, the amount of sonic power available to even to cheapest set up is incredible compared to a few years ago let alone since recording began...
...what we need is more talent!

But your original point is a good one, and would make a wonderful addition to a great system.