Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2002, 02:59 AM

Default A possibly stupid question about MIDI tracks!

I'm wondering if it is possible to use a MIDI track in PTLE to write say a drum track and then use that track to trigger sound samples on your PC? I think that might be like a sequencer or something?? Don't know much of anything about this stuff... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Thanks for your help!
Silence
Old 05-02-2002, 07:16 AM

Default Re: A possibly stupid question about MIDI tracks!

Silence,
I do this. (That in itself could make it stupid!) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

You don't even have to write them if you don't want to. Check out www.drumtrax.com . Nice patterns played by real people. You just cut and paste.

I use GigaSampler for the drum samples. There are other tools like Battery I think that might be less involved.

Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Silence:
I'm wondering if it is possible to use a MIDI track in PTLE to write say a drum track and then use that track to trigger sound samples on your PC? I think that might be like a sequencer or something?? Don't know much of anything about this stuff... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Thanks for your help!
Silence
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 05-03-2002, 02:59 AM

Thank you for your help Mark! I will be looking at this forthwith!

Now my next question (& my understanding thus far!)

I can set up a midi track on PTLE, write, or cut and paste a pattern to it, and route that pattern to trigger samples like a .wav file sitting on my HDD. Are there sample CDs anyone can recommend that give good crisp live drum sounds? And ones that are affordable with the Aussie dollar [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I am basically trying to do some songs that have the big live sound of a rock band except it's just me with my guitar and my 001... not ideal, wish there were some drummers in my life [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] but perhaps this will be a good work around for me to get something satisfactory...?

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This forum delivers!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-03-2002, 03:15 AM

Why not just get some .WAV files of drum patterns and loops and use those? There's lots available. Discrete drums http://www.discretedrums.com acid loops http://www.sonicfoundry.com , etc. etc. You can import, cut copy and paste right in Pro Tools...

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 05-03-2002, 06:08 AM

Silence - I would recommend staying away from programming midi drums. Too time consuming, and you'll never get it to sound like a real drummer.
If you've got Pro-Tools, you can cut and paste pre-recorded drum loops into your songs, even add fills, and it will sound like the real thing.

Try these free loops for starters:

http://www.e-drummer.net/

Do a google search on "drum loops" or "free drum loops" and you'll get a few thousand hits with more drum tracks than you'll ever use in your life. And if you really want to have flexibility, pick up a copy of the software program Acid, which allows you to manipulate the loops to fit your tempo, among other things. You can get the "bare bones" version of Acid 2.0 for $79.00 US.

If you want to hear some songs done this way,try my MP3 website below. All the drums are acid loops.

Good luck!
Yosemite OS
Old 05-03-2002, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the advice and the links.
Hey! It's like a whole new world. I am messing around with some loops from e-drummer in PTLE and they sound great! I'd be having a ball if it wasn't for 9129 HELL!!!!! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Thanks for all the help, it has been great!!!