Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2009, 09:27 AM

Default Re: PT8 CPU Usage

+1 for the suggestion that known working configurations should be posted. PTLE has never been compatible with all hardware--this is well documented and understood--so why the heck have updated known-working PT8 hardware specs not already been posted by Digi if only a small percent of users (with evidently incompatible hardware) have been impacted?

I'm kinda DOA here because my current antique rig won't keep up with the level of complexity of my current project session track count/DVIs and I'm afraid to pull the trigger on new hardware if I don't know for sure what will run PT8.

It's like buying a new car without wheels and then having to leave it on blocks in the driveway for six months because the manufacturer can't tell you what wheels are compatible with the #@#!#$ thing!!!
Old 06-15-2009, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Man View Post
+1 for the suggestion that known working configurations should be posted. PTLE has never been compatible with all hardware--this is well documented and understood--so why the heck have updated known-working PT8 hardware specs not already been posted by Digi if only a small percent of users (with evidently incompatible hardware) have been impacted?
They have a qualified systems listing on the website. Then there's people's own meandering experiences here on the DUC. It's a great resource.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Man View Post
It's like buying a new car without wheels and then having to leave it on blocks in the driveway for six months because the manufacturer can't tell you what wheels are compatible with the #@#!#$ thing!!!
Well no, it's nothing like that. Perhaps if Digidesign were selling the computer too, then you would have a point - but they're not!

It's more like they're selling the wheels but then not telling you what vehicles it'll fit, or that it only fits on certain vehicles. And hell if you've ever bought wheels before you'll know THAT IS THE CASE. So really not a very good analogy all around...

They have told you what configurations Pro Tools is compatible with, and you don't like the answer. By straying from it, you're either not listening or think you know better!
Old 06-15-2009, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezking View Post
They have told you what configurations Pro Tools is compatible with, and you don't like the answer. By straying from it, you're either not listening or think you know better!

There is a member here who is using one of the "qualified systems" and is experiencing the same problems... I will bet my bottom dollar there are more out there as well. The list is not the "be all to end all". It is not completely immune to the issue. His analogy may not be perfect, but his point is still well taken. We need a list of confirmed working machines, which the "qualified list is not". With all due respect, no one here is interested in semantics; we need solutions not analogical critiques.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Pynn View Post
There is a member here who is using one of the "qualified systems" and is experiencing the same problems... I will bet my bottom dollar there are more out there as well. The list is not the "be all to end all". It is not completely immune to the issue. His analogy may not be perfect, but his point is still well taken. We need a list of confirmed working machines, which the "qualified list is not". With all due respect, no one here is interested in semantics; we need solutions not analogical critiques.
If you're referring to the Precision 690, I already pointed out that his graphics card is not supported. Perhaps with one of the dedicated cards that are available with that machine, there would be more success.

I have been using Pro Tools 8 on an un-supported machine of late, and did not experience this big problem, so I can't directly relate to it unfortunately. I've also been using it on supported machines since October with no problems. There is likely a common theme somewhere with the machines that experience this - and it is likely to do with the graphics cards involved.

By the way I don't mean to sound at all inflamatory in my posts - sorry if I come across like that. I just wanna help!
Old 06-15-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
By the way I don't mean to sound at all inflamatory in my posts - sorry if I come across like that. I just wanna help!

I know you do pezking. And you have been helpful. I think many already have computers that are not on the list, and are hoping that PT8 will work anyway. To have to purchase an expensive machine to support the application seems a little over the top, as other software works on a multitude of hardware configurations and their current machines worked so well on PT7.X.

For instance, I would not have bought PT8 if it was absolutely mandatory I buy one of the qualified machines for it to work. This adds a LOT of expence over just buying PT8. I think many others here would agree with that as well. The qualified list is a list of machines that DIGI tested on and found to work with PT8. My experience over the years is that these lists are helpful, but vendors' software will work on machines that are not part of their qualified lists as well.

PT8 has a very limited list of qualified machines and the developers need to find a way to widen the hardware compatibility. It appears that DIGI is working the fix and hopfully this will do just that, widen the compatibility and allow for users who don't have these OEM machines to use the software without seeing this issue...

I always appreciate your input here.....
Old 06-18-2009, 04:46 PM

Bump.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:07 AM

And now? Anybody noticed some CS3 improvements on the named issue...?
Old 06-19-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danoo View Post
And now? Anybody noticed some CS3 improvements on the named issue...?
I do not believe CS3 contains the fix for this issue. In fact DIGI did say the fix would not be contained in a CS release.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
They have a qualified systems listing on the website. Then there's people's own meandering experiences here on the DUC. It's a great resource.

Please point me to the link wherein Digi defines the necessary hardware compatible with PTLE version 8 for Windows. All I have been able to find relates to 7.4 or prior. I have gone around in circles searching the Digi site looking for it and have pleaded with Digi in this forum to provide specifications for *any* OEM machine that would run the software *as they tested it* and/or that was not impacted by the clearly-documented bug as described in this thread.

Apparently there are none.

Consequently I *have* read through the user experience forums--specifically the i7 builds--and I have placed a $1500 bet that the hardware I ordered to custom-build my next machine (just so that I can install and run the LE8 software I purchased months ago) will actually run. I did not order any hardware that was not explicitly mentioned in that thread so I'm hoping that I have a least a 50-50 chance of having a functional machine when I'm done.

I would have appreciated some definitive direction from Digi, but as none was forthcoming, I had little choice but to take my chances and forge ahead--or completely abandon Pro Tools.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Well no, it's nothing like that. Perhaps if Digidesign were selling the computer too, then you would have a point - but they're not!

It's more like they're selling the wheels but then not telling you what vehicles it'll fit, or that it only fits on certain vehicles. And hell if you've ever bought wheels before you'll know THAT IS THE CASE. So really not a very good analogy all around...

Well, no, you're not getting the analogy. In this case, the car is Pro Tools and then wheels are the PC. Just as a car is dysfunctional without wheels and Protools is dysfunctional without a PC--that's all I was getting at. It's true that the analogy falls apart in that car manufacturers don't actually sell incomplete vehicles without wheels but I'm not saying it was a perfect analogy--but it's still apropo. Digi is manufacturing and selling a product that requires additional products (i.e. pc hardware) made by other manufacturers in order to function, but as far as I can tell, they cannot currently tell you any products to purchase that will reliably complete the equation.

And as I mentioned in the last post, I'm not trying to stray from any specified hardware nor do I think I 'know better'--I just can't find where any PTLE 8 compatible hardware is specified.