Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 11:19 PM

Default > Aux does not pass audio

Another strange one. . . session would not pass audio thru the right side of a stereo aux. I shut down ProTools and and restarted twice, same problem. I killed the aux and reinstaniated, same problem. I created a second aux with same input and outputs assigned, now both worked. Removed the new aux and the old one keep working. This is about the 5th time in the last couple weeks I have had something just stop passing audio for no apparent reason. Almost impossible to fly in and do quick final mix tweaks when you can not rely on you system. . . this coupled with the current instability of PT 7.3 (spinning beach ball and unexpectidly quits and 90% of the time there is a corrupted auto save session with the exact same stamp as the time of the crahs) all has me in a very bad spot these days. Anyone else seeing not-passing-audio problems or know of a cure for the crashes (other than remove all the plugins from the plugin folder or reinstall everything again and again and again. . .)?

Another thing I have noticed as of late. . . when i drag a track up or down to reorder in the edit window, ProTools makes a ticking/static like sound. My G4 with PT 7.2 never made this noise, what is up with this?

PT 7.3.1 cs2
HD 3 Accel
OS X 10.4.8
G5 2.5 GHz PPC w/4GB RAM
Old 04-20-2007, 02:35 AM

Default Re: > Aux does not pass audio

I recently re-built my studio - physically that is, i.e. walls, floors etc, and had my gear stored for a couple of months. Then I hooked it all up again - same G5 (dual 2,5G 4,5M RAM), same OS (OSX 10.4.3), same PT (7.2) but had to get a longer digilink cable from my HD2 Accel card to my 192 (physically further from the Mac now). I also reworked my patchbay and I/O labels in line with a more logical layout. Suddenly I found older I/O sessions gave me strange "not passing audio" problems. Specifically setting up a new second 3/4 out master for a phones mix with a 3/4 send on each channel out to a phones amp via a new Big Knob would not route audio to that master track, no meter reading at all. Trying to work around by using a bus and an aux - same thing, no reading of any "sent" audio on the aux - even though it is clearly there on the send meters! Have not been able to fix this in the old sessions, though they play 100% OK as they were created - I just can't update them to the new I/O settings and "standard" routing I want on all my live projects. New sessions with the new I/O set-up - no problems at all. Strange. I assumed this was probably something I've done wrong with the hardware set-up or I/O changes, even though all new sessions are working 100% as expected. Then I read your post Howard ...

Hmmm?
Old 04-20-2007, 02:42 AM

I had this problem from time to time on PT6.9.1 aux busses would just die from time to time when reloading sessions. I just had to create a new aux and re-route to that.

Just upgraded to 7.3 and it hasn't happened yet although I haven't really run the system in yet (too busy trying to get my Apogee working again!).
Old 04-20-2007, 06:41 AM

I had this problem with my SSL too!

There was another thread here.

This has been happening for a while.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:53 AM

Looks like the other thread fizzled out in March with no resolution. I doubt it was because the problem went away. I do not have MDW EQ installed. Even though I am loosing about an hour a day due to a variety of ProTools problems I just can't spare the time to stop working and just play around testing the system so if one more person says remove all plugins and work that way for awhile to see if the problem goes away, I may explode The problem could be related to older session files, but I believe I have experienced it with sessions created with 7.3.1 as well. . .