Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2013, 07:13 AM

Default Re: My PT9/10 HD Software is non-transferable

They should not have charged you, in my opinion, because this should still fall under registration/activation support which is free.

It also is deceptive, and amounts to an illegal charge. In the transfer of ownership description, nothing is mentioned about paying any fee. This basically amounts to charging a fee, but not disclosing that it's required.

Avid really needs to get their stuff together on this. Lots of people have mentioned lawsuits about some of their other policies (sometimes just venting), but this, more than any other thing, has the most realistic potential to be a legal issue.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy Williams View Post
I recently sold my HD 2 Accel System and experienced a similar issue when trying to transfer my HD 8/9 iLok license to the buyer. However, in my case, when I contacted Avid about this I was advised to purchase an Avid Support Code for £59 GBP (at over 3 times the cost of the standard $25 USD iLok transfer fee) in order for them to transfer the iLok license to the buyer's iLok account. Although I wasn't happy with the additional cost of the transfer, I found Avid quite helpful when dealing with the process.
I would even have a Support Code that came with my Thunderbolt device but I'm not willing to use it, if I'm honest. I'm also thinking that this should be a simple (and free) ownership transfer issue. It would be great if anyone from Avid could clear things up.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:01 AM

I filled out my Avid Customer Success survey that I received after my telephone call about transferring my PT10 license, RE: Your support experience for your product Pro Tools HD - VERY DISSATISFIED

All I hear from some people is call ACS and they will approve the transfer. Complete and utter crap, they refused mine and I am very pissed off. They even confirmed my hardware transfer of ownership forms had been filed and approved. What is the deal Avid?
Old 07-10-2013, 02:11 AM

What I don't get at all is: why would PT 11 HD be transferrable and PT 9/10 HD not? What difference does it make? There's no consistency in this policy, especially as 7/8 was transferrable, 9 has never been, 10 has changed its status over time and 11 is allowed again. This is very confusing.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:29 AM

CONFIRMED: Its all about the money with Avid.

Here is the response to my registration support ticket I filed:

Please know that in order for a Pro Tools 9 or 10 HD license to be transferred, it first needs to be deactivated by yourself. Right click on the license in the license manager and choose deactivate. Also, please send us your iLok username and the username of the new owner.

We will then require an Avid Support Code for HD. If we have your consent we will use one of the complimentary support codes that you were given. (With my new Native HD system I just purchased)

Once all the above are done, we will be able to transfer the license for you.

SO VERY KIND OF YOU AVID!

Thanks for being SO helpful with my license transfer issue. It's not like you're upsetting a long-time customer who's also a vendor and communicates with hundreds of your customers or anything. -Frank
Old 07-10-2013, 09:09 AM

So the bottom line is this?

- You can get an HD license transferred to a new owners ilok at the cost of one ASC ($79 USD).

Now it would be interesting to know if this process has any contingency on the actual sale or ownership of registered HD Hardware?
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 07-11-2013, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
So the bottom line is this?

- You can get an HD license transferred to a new owners ilok at the cost of one ASC ($79 USD).

Now it would be interesting to know if this process has any contingency on the actual sale or ownership of registered HD Hardware?
As I understand it you would have to fill out a ToO form (with hardware on it) AND use an ASC. Still a confirmation would be appreciated.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:16 AM

That still doesn't make sense, as transfer of ownership is firmly in the "registration/activation" issues category, which means support should be free, as everything in that category is.