Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2013, 07:29 PM

Default My PT9/10 HD Software is non-transferable

Here is my story: I have been using a Pro Tools HD2 TDM Accel for many years. I recently purchased a brand new PT10/11 Thunderbolt/Omni System and then transferred my TDM hardware (2 pcie cards and a 192 interface) to a dear friend. On my iLok is a PT9/10 bundle and a PT10/11 bundle. I attempted to transfer the PT9/10 bundle license to my friends iLok account but I found it was non-transferable. Oh Boy!

I called Avid support and talked to a "support expert" about the issue. At first he had no idea what I was talking about and after explaining it to him at least 3 times he asked me to hold and then came back 5 minutes later and told me that I could not move the PT9/10 license. He told me to send my iLok to my friend and then he could use that to run pro-tools. I was amazed at his response. I asked him again if he was sure and he said yes. The software that came with my HD2 system was forever attached to me. Now, I completely understand and accept the software license deal, I use the same model for my sound library business. One cannot sell the license because you never own the sounds, you are just granted the right to use them.

So, when a software license is sold as part of a hardware package, this can be different... correct? My friend has the awesome hardware to use but no awesome software. (I use the word awesome because I loved the system and had many trouble free years with it.) This is a "system" and to me the software should be included with the "system"

It's like owning a car and when you sell the car you have to keep the keys, the new owner has no keys to start the car. Nice one Avid! If anyone from Avid is reading this post I would love to hear your reasoning for this non-transferrable idea. All I want is to have my friend be able to run the "SYSTEM" as it was marketed and sold to me.

Sincerely,

Frank Bry, The Recordist
Old 06-26-2013, 10:05 AM

Default Re: My PT9/10 HD Software is non-transferable

Have you spoke with Pace?
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins
Old 06-26-2013, 11:47 AM

I have not spoke with Pace. It looked to me like Avid has control over whether the license is transferable. How would Pace know I transfered the TDM hardware? I think that is something Avid would inform Pace to make the license transferable.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:55 AM

And there is this from the Avid Website:

The Pro Tools license is included with Pro Tools core hardware systems and cannot be sold separately (this includes any upgrades to the Pro Tools software). If you sell a core system, the included Pro Tools license then becomes the property of the new owner, and all future update and upgrade rights are transferred as well.

The seller is responsible for providing all Pro Tools software and Pro Tools authorizations for that software that should be included with a used core system. If the current software and authorizations were not included, the buyer must purchase a Pro Tools software upgrade from the Store or an Authorized Avid Reseller. All purchased Pro Tools upgrades are complete installers that do not require previous installation of Pro Tools or registration, either to purchase or install the Pro Tools upgrades.

http://www.avid.com/US/support/transfer/audio

If I contacted Pace to release the license it would violate your protocol stated here.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:08 PM

Been trying to transfer a license with the iLok Mangler and it just sits there for hours. I have never seen anything like this. I think it's lawsuit time. Pace has been grossly negligent and has made available a service that is REQUIRED to use certain software a miserable experience and totally non functioning. Would I willingly use such a service? No. Would you use a bad mechanic? No. Something here has got to be done, and done by a collective.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Recordist View Post
All I want is to have my friend be able to run the "SYSTEM" as it was marketed and sold to me.

I think this is a very easy problem to fix.
No you can not sell or transfer the licence to him.

BUT

AVID will let you transfer ownership of the product or system to him.
You must first ask for permission then send in your hardware transfer of ownership papers.

At that point the hardware and everything that goes along with it will
be in your friends name and AVID account.
REMEMBER HD software is not allowed to be sold to someone who is not a registered HD hardware owner.
Its not enough to just actually have possession of said hardware you MUST be the registered owner.
I have little to no experience with this but as far as I know,
that is the ONLY way for your buddy to take ownership of the PT asset itself.

I hope this helps and this isnt a two paragraph rant of how stupid I am
Old 06-29-2013, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Recordist View Post
Been trying to transfer a license with the iLok Mangler and it just sits there for hours. I have never seen anything like this. I think it's lawsuit time. Pace has been grossly negligent and has made available a service that is REQUIRED to use certain software a miserable experience and totally non functioning. Would I willingly use such a service? No. Would you use a bad mechanic? No. Something here has got to be done, and done by a collective.
Hi,

Where or what are you trying to transfer to? As mentioned you cannot transfer the license to another user account. Only move it to another ilok in your account.

You can put it on a new ilok registered to your account and give the ilok to him. It will still be registered to your account and only you will be able to upgrade it etc.

To officially transfer to another owner you have to go through the transfer of ownership process.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:45 PM

I am trying to move the PT10 license to the new owners iLok account and who now has my REGISTERED WITH AVID AND OWNERSHIP TRANSFER PAPERS VERIFIED BY AVID Equipment.

I called CSA and Avid refused to transfer my PT10 license after I sold my HD2 TDM cards and interface. I have no idea what to do now, the guy who has the system cannot run Pro Tools. Come on Avid! What gives?

The CSA operator told me to send my iLok to the new owner and from then on the new owner would have to contact me to make any changes to the iLok license if updated in the future. So this means he would have to send me the iLok and I would make any changes to iLok and then send it back. What a stupid thing to say! -Frank Bry, The Recordist
Old 07-04-2013, 01:06 AM

I'm in the same situation. So you're saying that even with a filled out ToO form it won't be possible to transfer the HD license? That would be against what Avid states in its rules ("If you sell a core system, the included Pro Tools license then becomes the property of the new owner, and all future update and upgrade rights are transferred as well."), wouldn't it?
Old 07-04-2013, 05:18 AM

I recently sold my HD 2 Accel System and experienced a similar issue when trying to transfer my HD 8/9 iLok license to the buyer. However, in my case, when I contacted Avid about this I was advised to purchase an Avid Support Code for £59 GBP (at over 3 times the cost of the standard $25 USD iLok transfer fee) in order for them to transfer the iLok license to the buyer's iLok account. Although I wasn't happy with the additional cost of the transfer, I found Avid quite helpful when dealing with the process.