Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2009, 06:29 PM

Default Re: PT8 CPU Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianosound View Post
RoMi, I'm getting between 20 and 30 percent on the Quad 6600, I'll get back to you on the i7 build in a while. A working session on the same PC is between 25 and 44 percent, and takes some effort to get it to the 44%!!???
That's about what I have on my Quad 6600.
It drops significantly with Edit and Mix windows minimized.

I just checked one interesting comparison:
The same kind of a session that runs in PT8 at ca. 30%+ CPU Usage,
in REAPER oscillates between 0% (?!) and 4% of CPU Usage (Windows Task Manager) - with everything opened, including Mix window, several VSTi widows, etc... Once in a while goes to 7%...

Intel quad Q6600, ASUS P5K DeLuxe WiFi, Radeon HD Gfx cards, 3 LCD monitors, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP, Win 7x64, REAPER 64bit, Wavelab.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:33 PM

Just an anomaly? I suppose I should be happy. I just "upgraded" to an Athlon X2 7750 clocked at 3GHz and I get 3-5% CPU both in Windows as well as in ProTools 8. With both mix and edit windows open. 6 stereo audio, 4 mono audio, 4 instrument tracks, 4 Aux. I do very simple projects.

2Gigs of Ram.
2 160 Gig drives. 1 system. 1 for samples
1 320 Gig drive Audio
1 80 Gig drive for system backup.
ASUS M3A76-CM
Old 05-10-2009, 08:54 AM

Ok I have a solution for all of you who have problem with this crazy graphic issue.
And the solution is called windows 7. I have installed it and I am running pro tools 8 with the digi 003. It solved the graphic issue. It's free to download from microsoft.

It's an awesome operating system. I can run at 64 buffersize. I have never managed to do that on any other operating system :)

You do need to tweak some stuff to get it to work though.

This is what you need to do.

Disable Ie8. It made it inpossible to install pro tools 8 without disabling Ie8 for me anywa.

First download FireFox or a different browser.

Go to control panel-programs and features-turn windows features off
and on- un tick IE8 - OK then follow on screen instructions.

You will have to reboot and then IE8 will have been removed.

I am not guaranteeing that it will solve your problem but it is an
easy fix to try.

Those who are trying to get firewire interfaces working (without success) may find the following steps useful: it’s what I had to do to get mine up and running.

Right click on the firewire host controller entry in the device manager and choose Update Driver Software…

Browse my computer for driver software

Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer

Select 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy) and then Next.
That should do it.

3. For those who uses ilok.

For W7 32-bit:

Run the iLok installer as far as it will go. It will stop half way because the installer is broken in W7. Reboot. Go to Device Manager, right click on the ilok(s) and install manually from there. The directory path to browse for the driver is C > Program Files > PACE Anti-Piracy > iLok > iLokDrvr > then select the driver and continue the install. Reboot.

That should do the trick....

It's all worth it. The performance is just outstanding in windows 7....

Best
/Christian
Old 05-10-2009, 09:21 AM

it's weird that you had to disable IE8 in W7. i've never had trouble installing PT in W7 (32 or 64), and i've never had to disable IE8. granted, i've had other trouble with it (PT becoming unresponsive when i do some alt-commands and crashing when changing buffer size), but never when installing PT. ilok drivers have always just installed as well, with no issues.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:28 AM

It is not strange at all to have to disable IE8 to get PT's working.. There is a known incompatability with PT and IE8. I installed IE8 and PT would not launch. Uninstalling PT8 solved the problem. It may not happen to everyone on every O/S, but it is a known problem none the less.

Darren
Old 05-11-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabben82 View Post
Ok I have a solution for all of you who have problem with this crazy graphic issue.
And the solution is called windows 7. I have installed it and I am running pro tools 8 with the digi 003. It solved the graphic issue. It's free to download from microsoft.

It's an awesome operating system. I can run at 64 buffersize. I have never managed to do that on any other operating system :)

You do need to tweak some stuff to get it to work though.

This is what you need to do.

Disable Ie8. It made it inpossible to install pro tools 8 without disabling Ie8 for me anywa.

First download FireFox or a different browser.

Go to control panel-programs and features-turn windows features off
and on- un tick IE8 - OK then follow on screen instructions.

You will have to reboot and then IE8 will have been removed.

I am not guaranteeing that it will solve your problem but it is an
easy fix to try.

Those who are trying to get firewire interfaces working (without success) may find the following steps useful: it’s what I had to do to get mine up and running.

Right click on the firewire host controller entry in the device manager and choose Update Driver Software…

Browse my computer for driver software

Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer

Select 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy) and then Next.
That should do it.

3. For those who uses ilok.

For W7 32-bit:

Run the iLok installer as far as it will go. It will stop half way because the installer is broken in W7. Reboot. Go to Device Manager, right click on the ilok(s) and install manually from there. The directory path to browse for the driver is C > Program Files > PACE Anti-Piracy > iLok > iLokDrvr > then select the driver and continue the install. Reboot.

That should do the trick....

It's all worth it. The performance is just outstanding in windows 7....

Best
/Christian
I know from the "Windows 7..." thread that Win7 32bit / PT8 work fine with Quads. They had problems with Win7 64bit / PT8 on Quads.

rabben82, what CPU and Win 7 xx-bit do you use?

Intel quad Q6600, ASUS P5K DeLuxe WiFi, Radeon HD Gfx cards, 3 LCD monitors, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP, Win 7x64, REAPER 64bit, Wavelab.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:14 AM

DIGI, any suggestions on a PC that works with PT8? Any updates on a fix for this crippling CPU utilization bug?
Old 05-13-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Pynn View Post
It is not strange at all to have to disable IE8 to get PT's working..
From what I've seen about PT in Windows 7, it is strange. I know about the problem with it in Vista (and presumably XP), but I hadn't heard anyone say anything before about it causing problems in W7. Maybe I should try uninstalling that to see if it stops the alt-key bug I'm experiencing.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:20 AM

Yes it might be worth a shot to disable IE8..... Stranger things have happened... Good luck
Old 05-14-2009, 06:39 AM

Well, I waited as long as I could. I finally had to give in and downgrade to PT 7.4. from PT8. My family and I are recording an album as a gift for my parent’s 50th wedding anniversary this summer. I am very disappointed I had to do this, and I am very disappointed in DIGI for not having a fix before now.

Anyhow, just as another confirmation, PT 7.4 CPU utilization (with about 16tracks and several plugins) is running about 16% to 20%. PT8 with no tracks open was running 50% and up. The same session with 16 tracks was running >80% on both cores in PT8.

Very sad!