Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2011, 02:26 PM

Default Question on facebook

Hi everyone!
A friend of mine asked me to create him an extra Facebook account, because he can't do it (he's not keen on informatics). So I said “what's the problem”: a new email account and then some fictitious data and the work is done... but it wasn't so easy. I created one, but then at the second one appears a notice which asks me to confirm the account with an sms. Could it be maybe the IP number? New email, different IP, even deleting the cookies, changing browser that's what it comes out. I've tried to reboot the computer, but I'm pretty sure that the problem would remain even changing computer, it'd bypass it at at first, but I believe the problem would arise again.
At this point it's becoming a personal challenge, I'm trying to understand how can Facebook understand that it's always me creating a new account rather than someone who's activating his/her first account.
Do you have any ideas on Facebook adopting a standard that asks the phone number? How can someone then activate an account from an internet point? Do they have to put their phone number?
Thank you

Old 12-11-2011, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Question on facebook

This is a bad idea to even respond, but if a friend needs help, they must be there to read the disclaimer and click that "I've read and agreed to this terms.... etc" button (not you)!

(edit) perhaps it is your English, but the throw away email is a good idea, however Admins at Facebook need to be able to contact you via phone or email if that site has been hacked and is sending out trojans/viruses to friends in your or your 'friend/relative' account's address book.

For others creating a Facebook Account, from a guy who has never EVER been to a Facebook webpage PERIOD! So, this is my disclaimer:

Because the security settings can be changed (200+ million people) by one programmer overnight, I would never setup an account for a non computer literate person. Anyway, if you go ahead with this, NEVER give out your travel plans in advance, only after you've returned from your trip. Chat with a friend, ask questions to ascertain it is indeed your 'friend' only then give your cell " or Skype # (then immediately delete it). But that is for your account. You seem to want to take on another's account maintenance (and I know songwriter's here who can't manage myspace or facebook either (can write great songs and sing intune without melodyne or did in the 60/70s) so I understand the need, but with it comes a stern warning to those disregarding Facebook's warning, or who checks that box re their legal disclosure, or common sense re posting travel plans.

Back in '99, 2000, a series of robberies were reported on this forum. Perhaps songwriters/studio owners giving out detailed information...

Anyway check LSO (Flash Supercookies) which are used to rebuild deleted web browser cookies. Or bypass your router direct to modem (if your account was setup via wifi)... and don't think guard dogs will protect your premises if you post your travel plans to meet up with friends, as in Ibiza over Spring Break.

I deleted the rest, but I'll add, Pitbulls, Japanese 'trained' watch dogs are no match for a determined human.

So check out Better Privacy's Addon for Firefox, and NoScript. Oh, if when setting up an account, JAVA can be used if a 'bank site' for example asks is this computer used only by you? (as opposed to a Computer Lab shared computer). If newer version of JAVA code is present, some sites allow one to bypass additional security questions besides the password.

So, really too much to cover regarding this not knowing more, basically you should do it with their ISP and their mac address/IP address. Unless they only have a droid or iPhone, then change locations but make certain all email accounts are active... and don't trust Facebooks security settings. They can be changed, one single programmer error, 200+ people to default settings (open). LSOs rebuild web-browser cookies so read the info at Better Privacy's site, and if using FF and Better Privacy protect the SOL setting and if Skype or iChat (those sub-folders too) so there is a lot to read and personally I wouldn't want to be responsible for someone else's account, but that's just me.