Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2009, 12:30 AM

Default Editing In Macbook Pro

I have Digidesign hardware hooked up to my desktop mac computer, running Protools LE. I want to be able to edit and sequence the wavs recorded from my desketop on my Macbook Pro laptop. I do not have Mbox... Can anyone tell me what software they are using to edit on the laptops without the Mbox? Thanks.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Editing In Macbook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveydave View Post
Can anyone tell me what software they are using to edit on the laptops...
Pro Tools LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveydave View Post
...without the Mbox?
Impossible. You always need a Digi interface. The cheapest would be Mbox Micro.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:35 AM

Do you want to record the waves on the MBP or do you simply want another monitor to editing from?

I understood you may want more editing. I 'think' you can connect both desktop and laptop via the video connections enabling you to editing from both monitors.
Blog For Beats Facebook
My Twitter
Old 03-25-2009, 09:58 AM

So there is NO other software that I can transfer wav files from Protools to edit in? Cubase? Logic? Reason? Do I strictly need to get have Protools also on my laptop? Thanks for any input!
Old 03-25-2009, 10:18 AM

You could use a number of other programs to edit wav files in. I'm not really sure what the question is. Just because you recorded the files in Pro Tools doesn't mean they can't be edited in another program. Just export the files as wav, etc and put them on a CD, etc

You have to have Digi hardware in order to use LE. You could go the route of the Micro if you're just editing.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:12 PM

Ah yes, sorry, that's what I meant. I wanted to be able to sequence and edit wavs on my laptop. I do not have Protools or Mbox Micro for my laptop. I will need to use something else. I was just wondering what apps other people were using to do this? Unless everyone highly recommends me getting the Mbox Micro?
Old 03-25-2009, 05:17 PM

Well, the Micro will allow you to to swap the sessions back & fourth pretty seamlessly
since you would have LE on both machines. Really comes in handy if you do a session on your desktop machine, and then transfer the session to your laptop and finish it somewhere else.
If you're just editing, you could use a 2 track program like Peak as well, but any program like Logic, Cubase, etc, even Live would work. Many options here
Old 03-26-2009, 10:49 AM

Nice, thanks. Ya I would love to get the Mbox Micro and be able to edit on my laptop. The only thing is the price - which is $300+. I figure, I don't really want to spend more money since I already bought the DIGI 001. Too bad Digidesign doesn't offer the Free Protools for OS X like they did for OS 9 awhile ago. It only had the capability to edit 8 tracks - but it was nice to be able to edit on the laptop!
Old 03-26-2009, 01:12 PM

I have both Logic and Ableton Live on my macbook pro. They both play without being plugged into an interface. You could edit your waves in either one. ProTools editing is more elegant imo but you can sure do it.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:26 PM

There also Mulab. Totally free.