Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2009, 12:16 PM

Default Allow myself to introduce myself!

Greetings and salutations,

I would like to introduce myself. I am Joetorious (well thats my producer name)
and i would like to say hello to the forum! I recently acquired a boxed version of pro tools mpowered from the m-audio Torq forum. I entered their monthly giveaway, and won that, a trigger finger, and Transfuser. I was pretty stoked about it. so i got the package in the mail and i installed it.
ok.
1. i dont have a very good audio device. Since i didnt actively pursue the protools, i only have a M-audio Conectiv interface that came with Torq. Is there ANYTHING i can do on protools with this interface? my friend who has been a producer says no, and i need to get a new interface designed for recording. I will take his advice, but i wonder if i can ANYTHING with the conective? can i record something? or am i out of luck?

2. I have a macbook i bought last year, and i use it for general purpose, such as school work, internet, entertainment, and Torq. THis is not a dedicated laptop that i have. and i have been hearing how resource intensive protools is, and i would like to start dedicating my laptop to protools and torq. my producer friend says i have to NEVER use the internet on this laptop. But the guys at GC said its not THAT crucial, i just should use any major programs (video games, which wont be a problem since im not a gamer) and such. I dont know if i have the discipline to Not use the internet on my ONLY laptop, especially since im a student. SO how do i go about this? Do i go the hard route or the easy route?

2 1/2 How do i backup my system? What firewire drive do you reccomend for saving all my sessions that i will be doing on protools? I dont want to spend more that 150 on a firewire harddrive! how much space should i buy?
Is time machine the best way to back up your system? or should i use my external usb harddrive?

ok, i know i have asked a CRAPLOAD of questions, but i just want to do this the RIGHT way! any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!
if you need any more details about any questions i asked, feel free to hit me up!
Torq Connective 1.5
M-audio Trigger Finger
Protools Mpowered 8
Old 01-29-2009, 06:59 AM

Default Re: Allow myself to introduce myself!

hardrive ( use any 7200 rpm disc with oxford 911 or 912 chipset) dont use time machine for backing up....

buy a fast trak pro for audio recording ( four channel input with spdif and phantom power for condenser mics) or a fast trak usb for simple dinamic mic recording or intruments (bass and guitar)
Old 01-29-2009, 08:36 AM
Avid

1. Yes, you can use Connectiv with Pro Tools M-Powered 8.0 and it will allow 4 inputs and 4 outputs:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/TorqConectiv.html

2. You can use the internet on your laptop, you just may have to disable Airport while using Pro Tools. In fact, you can continue to use your machine as you usually would, with all the applications, etc. that you have installed on it. Do the optimizations in the General Troubleshooting thread and you should be good to go for use with Pro Tools. I use my laptop like this on a daily basis.

You will need a firewire hard drive for recording, one that has an Oxford chipset. There are many, many to choose from.

You won't be able to use Time Machine on a system with Pro Tools, so you should look at something like SuperDuper for backing everything up. Ideally you would have a backup of every drive - so one backup for your MacBook drive and one for your Audio drive. Without a backup, if the drive crashes, you risk losing all data on the drive.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
You won't be able to use Time Machine on a system with Pro Tools, so you should look at something like SuperDuper for backing everything up. Ideally you would have a backup of every drive - so one backup for your MacBook drive and one for your Audio drive. Without a backup, if the drive crashes, you risk losing all data on the drive.

Can't Time Machine be turned off most of the time and simply turned on temporarily to create a more recent backup? That is what I have been doing. Seems to work fine. Is there some core component that Time Machine uses that I should have disabled? Spotlight is off on my machine, I can confirm that.

J
Old 01-30-2009, 09:52 AM

For backing up, I really like the (free) Carbon Copy Cloner - google it. Comes with extensive info on what sort of backups to do for your needs. Set it to back up all your drives at night. (Quit ProTools though - CCC can't unboot the backup disk images it makes with the damn "Digidesign Databases" when PT is running.)
Old 10-30-2010, 06:38 AM

DJ UrbnLgnd you're really cool man.)