Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2013, 08:55 AM

Default PT 10 Hangs Loading MIDI

I have had this issue since PT 9. It happens on all my Windows 7 systems, two desktops and a laptop. I am currently using PT 10.3.2. When loading up Pro Tools, the message window shows the application loading all the plug ins, etc., but when it gets to MIDI, it hangs for anywhere from 30 seconds up to a minute like it is looking for something or waiting for a timeout of some kind, then it proceeds to complete the application start up.

I originally had the same problem that many others have reported of slow loading times until I excluded all the Avid folders from being scanned by Windows Defender. This took care of the slow loading with the exceptiion of the MIDI hang.

The unusual thing is, I have no MIDI devices attahed per say with the exception of my RME UFX. However, I have not physical cables connected to the MIDI In/Out on the RME. But even when that is not in use on my laptop and I am using ASIO4ALL, I still get the hang at Loading MIDI.

Is there some special folder outside of the AVID folders that Windows Defender is scanning that i need to exclude? Is there something in setup or in the PT options I need to turn on or off?

It is not a big bother, but it would be nice to know if this is normal or do I need to change something. When I am in the middle of a live session and I need to make a change to something and then relaod, it can get to be a bit of a waste of time. A little nerve wracking, espeically during live on location recording sessions.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:53 AM

Default Re: PT 10 Hangs Loading MIDI

Just guessing but since it appears on all three systems I'd be looking at the RME if that's the common denominator. I haven't seen any complaints about MSSE slowing down MIDI just the plugins.

If there's a MIDI port on the RME it has a driver. Regardless of whether or not something is connected to the port. You should see this driver listed in Device Manager. You might try right clicking it and disabling it or uninstalling it and then launching Pro Tools. I have no idea if this will make a difference but if disabling it has an effect it may indicate that the RME MIDI driver is leaving something to be desired as far as Pro Tools is concerned. Theres been a fair amount of posts here mentioning RME interfaces lately and there's a warning at iLok about a compatibility issues with at least one of them. This may not be a Pro Tools issue as much as a driver issue. Make sure you have the latest drivers from RME installed.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-22-2013, 11:00 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. I guess I was thinking that since it still does it on my laptop when I am running with ASIO4ALL, that would eliminate the RME. But you are correct as far as the driver goes, even when running ASIO4ALL, the RME driver would be present since I have had that connected to the laptop at times for location recording.

I am running the latest RME drivers and both of my RME UFXs have been rock solid otherwise as well as my two RME Fireface 800's I had before them. That's not to say they aren"t contributing to or causing the problem here. I will work on disabling or uninstalling them first chance I get and report back the results.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:10 PM

Just a thought, If the RME has a option to use the midi port connections and/or the USB midi or auto switch - try setting it to only one or the other and test them.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:39 PM

Thanks, I'll check that also.