Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 06:43 AM

Default Re: Digi banned Where02190 !!!!!!!!! PETITION !!!!

Quote:
I don't think any of you realize the full scope of this at all. Nick was warned repeatedly to stop spamming the DUC. He had hundreds and hundreds of posts where he tried to get people to buy his products from his website. Everytime someone asked about a drive, he woud "suggest" they buy these drives.

He was warned repeatedly, by direct email and by literally hundreds of deletions of his spam. His reply was that the rules should not apply to him, because he "provided a service" and "helped so many people". He said that he deserved compensation for that.

We disagreed, and he backed it off a bit on the DUC, although he continues to spam many other audio forums on a daily basis. He started back up again, and when someone here on the DUC asked about a problem they were having with their drive, he posted nothing but this in reply:

"Sell it and buy this" with a hyperlink to his website where he sells these drives.

He had more warnings than perhaps anyone ever has on the DUC. He was either too arrogant or too greedy to abide by the rules, so he is gone. Permanently, as he had already used up any second chance dozens of chances before.
Oh. If that's the case...
Old 08-27-2004, 06:49 AM

Default Re: Digi banned Where02190 !!!!!!!!! PETITION !!!!!!!!

Quote:
2) The "Firedock" was a complete and utter sham. No if's and's or but's about it. You can get three times the drive at half the cost through other reliabe non-spamming vendors.

Is that right? If that's the case, this is the first time procrastination has paid off. Bad things stay away from those who procrastinate. Or is it good things come to those...

Any way, I need new recommendations for a back-up drive, and a dedicated audio drive. Any suggestions?
Old 08-27-2004, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Any way, I need new recommendations for a back-up drive, and a dedicated audio drive. Any suggestions?
OWC, Lacie, & Glyph are the names that are mentioned the most. If you do a search for 'firewire drives' you'll find about 100 topics covering this already, it comes up about once a week. Check out digi's compatibility documents on firewire drives too, you'll need to make sure you get something that meets those guidelines.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:13 AM

Quote:

i make no money for this and am in no way affiliated with these companies....

my first drive i bought was from firewiredirect.com -- it's been rock solid, but the fan is a bit loud. i put it in a road case when recording

the second drive i bought was from other world computing and that's been rock solid as well, just a lot quieter.

since i use an ibook, i don't use an internal drive for audio.

good luck!
steve
Old 08-27-2004, 01:46 PM

OH MY GOD! that's so lame. Where has always been a huge help, a totall asset to this forum.

DIGI BRING BACK WHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand that this is not a place to sell your services or products or whatever. The Bottom line is that Where was helping a lot of people, like 1000's and guy like that needs to be here. I can't imagine a LE forum, without his expert advice. If he was some nut job, only trying to use this forum for malintent, than fine give him the boot. I just don't look at him that way, he was truly out here posting and trying to help people. IMHO Digi if theres a post you don't like, delete it. If some schmuck is trying to just make money of the DUC, than give him the boot. Don't ban one of this forum's most beneficial member.
Certified Protools6.x Post-Production Operator
Old 08-27-2004, 02:18 PM

Sorry to disagree but I found him very condescending, most of the time he spent telling people to "RTFM" instead of anserwing the question. And I must agree with Chris Coleman’s statement

Quote:
I've got to call a spade a spade here folks.

Frankly, I don't understand why people are so bent out of shape about Nick being gone. Here are a few reasons:

1) I would conservatively estimate that 40% of his posts were pure bunk. The guy just liked to post and he simply sacrificed truth, facts, and clarity at the alter of inflating his post count. (hint: shear number of posts has no bearing on the contents' validity or the poster's knowledge).

2) The "Firedock" was a complete and utter sham. No if's and's or but's about it. You can get three times the drive at half the cost through other reliabe non-spamming vendors.

3) The dude simply broke the rules...rules which happen to apply to everyone, not just the unwashed masses.

I guess this is a lesson in perception...most people will listen to the loudest person.

Yes no one likes rules but they were stated when he signed up. Who cares if you have alot of post it's how much help they are that should count. Quality not quantity, and by the way I was fed up with his Berhinger rant. Haven't miss him one bit.
AKAI S5000
Yahama DSP1
Mackie Control
Midiman 8
DIGI001
Old 08-27-2004, 02:39 PM

Eventually I got to the point at which I would simply skip over his posts, I found them so annoying.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:29 PM

I'll sign...for Digi. Keep the forum on topic, start your own site if you want to sell. I see many members with their own signature links, and Digi doesn't purge those, if they're straight up. If you want to help, help. It's a choice. If you have other agendas, there's the rest of the web, go there. I can't believe this is the only place Pro Tools users frequent. (it isn't, believe me). Just point the browser.

For a manufacturer provided resource, Digi is pretty tolerant, in my experience. In fact, damn tolerant. I appreciate all of the info I get here. I wouldn't consider dissing the host.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:44 PM

I'm inclined to agree with Chris Coleman on this one, these past few months 'where' had an utterly nauseating way of posting, it may as well have been in Chinese or Hebrew, the guy certainly had his own way with words and in doin' so, he totally alienated himself.

I genuinely believe that his heart is in the right place, he most probably just got carried away in his own little 'firedock' world but i'm still not completely convinced that 'spamming' is ultimately the reason this man was banned.

Personally, i find attitudes and tasteless behaviour much more offensive then a hyperlink and i guess it now goes without saying that this guy did himself absolutely no favours in that department with the way he recently insisted on conducting himself.

So, did 'where' cross the line, probably yes, but the question is which line did he really cross? Rules are rules, yet this man got off considerably lightly for a very long time with many warnings and deletions by Digi's own admission... Perhaps Digi were tolerant towards him due to his contributions and/or excessive responses but i'm definetly not convinced, still i wish him well...
Old 08-27-2004, 05:19 PM

Where helped me out a few times. He was very informative, and really seemed to know what he was talking about. But he never offered advice without throwing in some kind of condescending comment. I too got to the point where I would just skip over his posts. Even if there was some useful nugget, there was always the "I-am-superior-and-you-don't-know-[bleep]" attitude.

Good Riddance...
Closed Thread