Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2010, 12:48 AM

Default Re: PT9 come with "Backup License" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFish View Post
Another engineer friend over here Just made a good point (After freaking out about not being able to have an instant backup option in HD9)

Dishonest people, that are "Looking to Auth another native rig" are just going to Pirate it anyway... they're "Trying to get free Sh*t"

HD Owners that have invested Thousands of dollars (And Millions on their facilities) are not going to cheap out on the $599 as insurance that their whole facility can't be shut down and out of business, from a faulty, $40.00 iLok

We really need a backup license.
+1 I absolutely agree on that one... if somebody wants to steal it, he's gonna steal it anyway.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:14 AM

Why not keep the hard drive with your PT8 system and make a clean install for PT9. That is always good practice anyway. Then if you have a problem later it is possible to be running within 10 minutes with the old drive.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin ice View Post
Why not keep the hard drive with your PT8 system and make a clean install for PT9. That is always good practice anyway. Then if you have a problem later it is possible to be running within 10 minutes with the old drive.
Not if your iLok with the PT9 Asset implodes.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-12-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Another engineer friend over here Just made a good point (After freaking out about not being able to have an instant backup option in HD9)

Dishonest people, that are "Looking to Auth another native rig" are just going to Pirate it anyway... they're "Trying to get free Sh*t"

HD Owners that have invested Thousands of dollars (And Millions on their facilities) are not going to cheap out on the $599 as insurance that their whole facility can't be shut down and out of business, from a faulty, $40.00 iLok

We really need a backup license.
Exactly.....

I for ONE am getting pretty tired of being treated like I am some kind of thug just because others are pirating or doing illegal stuff.

I dont mind iLok at all. I believe in a basic protection but the more the software makers try to cripple us the more enemies iLok is going to face. That is probably why iLok got cracked in the first place.

At the moment I am bringing my iLok back and forth between my home and the studio. Sometimes when in a rush I forget the iLok at home and come into the studio and go.... arrrrgggg... I'm paying for this S***** and in the end I am having SO MUCH more trouble than those who just use the cracks.

I aint trying to put aside the fact that I am forgettable - and that at times A LOT... But I find it troublesome that a person resulting to the use of pirated software has LESS trouble using it than ME --- who is NOT using pirated software.

In the old days one used to get 3 licenses. Many still uses this principle. And I think that PT9 should come with a second license for BU purposes. Imagine getting into a car crash while transporting you ilok. The iLok breaks and one finds himself in a situation where he might not be able to use his whole DAW for the next couple of days.

THis is wrong as wrong could be.....

Dont punish the paying customer AVID.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I'm not dishonest, I don't want a "Free Native Rig" - what I DO want, is a Guarantee, that when I have clients, that have flown in, from around the world, to record i'n my tracking room... That WHEN my iLok malfunctions, I am not reliant on logging on to a website that could be down for maintenance, or at the will of Internet connectivity, to fill our forms, and "Begin an RMA" process.
AVID - read above 2 times. Then think about and then read it again, 1000 times. It makes ALL the sense in the world....

The ONLY alternative today for an honest man in such a situation as described above is to have a second Plug-Ins folder called "Cracked Plugs BackUp Folder for EMERGENCIES ONLY".

One SHOULD not be forced into illegal activity because either

1) He did not have ZDT (Listen to that - I buy a software and HAVE to purchase an additional Annual option in case the VENDORs copy protection FAILs... That aint just arrogant that is downright vicious )

2) His internet connection isn't working or he failed to pay his ISP bill

3) iLok website is down for maintenance

If copy protection continues in this tune - in 5 years we'll have to call AVID each time before booting PT and ask permission to USE the software we purchased. And if we fail to place the call during normal business hours, BAD LUCK no Music tonite.

PS - Vienna Ensemble also uses an iLok-like copy protection. They give their users 3 licenses.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:31 AM

I would have to agree.

Also, why can't my HD PCIe card serve as my ilok for Protools?
It's just as hard (or easy) to spoof as an ilok.
LE didn't need an ilok, just hardware.
Maybe something like register your card serial number with the version of Protools you have so at least you won't be stranded without a way to start it up and record.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
PS - Vienna Ensemble also uses an iLok-like copy protection. They give their users 3 licenses.
Hi,

If you've got a spare i could make good use of it 3 for the price of one!! incredible.

Seriously i can see the problem and i've had the same thoughts! And for me to have the same setup on 9 that i have on 8 i will have to buy LE9 as well as HD9 or have the hastle of carrying the ilok back and forth!!

I wouldn't mind if the ilok was wireless or bluetooth and it could be secured to your body with a chain or on a bracelet like a watch, but carrying a small usb stick and poking it in and out everyday is not appealing to me.

Any pro studio would be stupid to not have ZDT! yes their site is occasionally down but thats quite rare.

And any pro studio should keep a spare boot drive with 8 on it and keep PT8 ilok auth on a separate ilok.

I can't really see a time when there would be no system to run!!

What happens if the console goes down or the computer goes down or aliens take over all the studios.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Any pro studio would be stupid to not have ZDT! yes their site is occasionally down but thats quite rare.
Is actually VERY Rare, but it did happen to me, I know it's like lightening striking, and not likely to ever happen again - but I had a Keyboard Player flew in from London, Drummer from NY, bunch of Toronto guys, and a Dead iLok -

I immediately popped in my iLok with the 7.4 "Backup" - and kept running Pro-Tools, but they had set up a ton of plugins on the session the day before, so i went to the iLok website - to File my RMA, with my ZDT, and it WAS Down for Maintenance. it's not just "Their Site's" availability, the internet itself, certainly isn't a 100% guarantee (Especially comcast) that i can connect to anything. In this case it WAS THEIR Site.

This isn't a "Fear" it's a "Past experience"
Quote:

And any pro studio should keep a spare boot drive with 8 on it and keep PT8 ilok auth on a separate ilok.
That's exactly what I'm doing, as stated in my post, Hanging tight to 8.1 with it's Auths on a separate iLok, and keeping it bootable on an INTERNAL drive at all times.- however, if this is the new protocol, it's going to get a little frightening on Pro-Tools 12 with New hardware.

Quote:
I can't really see a time when there would be no system to run!!
No, your are right there, we're not stupid - merely "Fighting for a point" - a feature we've "Had:" that's made our lives easier, and given us security that's taken away - I'll Keep my studio running 24 / 7 no matter what it takes - I still have a G3 / Mix|24 System I could set up in Failure I suppose. ... these ARE solutions we all WILL be employing to make sure we can record, but it's not as instant. fool proof, and up to date as it used to be, with Backup licenses. Especially working in software that is always getting a new feature set, that we adopt as cutting edge / to remain part of our workflow.

Imagine working in PT 7.3.1 with NO backup - only a 6.4.1 previous Authorization - IN your studio, physically available - Different OS Support, no Elastic Audio, Air Plugins, Score feature (if you use that), VCA's, or Advanced Midi Features. We've never had to "Suffer this Gap" because of the Backup License, and now, in 9, the "Gap" has started.

I don't WANT to "Have to revert to previous versions of protools" as my "Solution" if I'm working in 9 - I'll even Pay $599 for a "Backup license" and "Swear on the bible" that I won't use it to run on my MacBook - so that once I'm working in 9 - I stay in 9 - but they will not SELL us one.

Quote:
What happens if the console goes down
Extenal Pre's everyone shares a Cue Mix from Pro-Tools - and we try to crawl through the session.
Quote:
or the computer goes down
I can swap the cards, and the boot Drive, into another MacPro in 10 minutes over a Coffee Break (Done it before)
Quote:
or aliens take over all the studios.
We're F**cked!

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 11-16-2010, 04:05 AM

Quote:
I believe in a basic protection but the more the software makers try to cripple us the more enemies iLok is going to face. That is probably why iLok got cracked in the first place.
That's true! Anyone ever heard of a version of PT 8 HD that can run on a laptop with no hardware?!? Avid seems to have followed that teams lead in developing PT 9. Oh and said creacked version of PT 8 HD does not require an iLok but I'm sure Avid and Pace are already well aware of that! I'm not advocating piracy, but it just goes to show that someone will always find a way to break down that (supposed) superior security that a company puts in place.

Quote:
Listen to that - I buy a software and HAVE to purchase an additional Annual option in case the VENDORs copy protection FAILs... That aint just arrogant that is downright vicious
Agreed!!!

So Here is a Question for DTS: What is Avid's official protocol for replacing a PT HD 9 authorization for any worst case scenario that one should end up losing it (since we only get one)???

Just wondering...

Thanks!

System:
PT HD v8.0.1cs2/PT 9 HD3 Accel, 96 I/O, 96i I/O, Control |24, Midi I/O, Sync I/O

http://myspace.com/ronk
http://ron-k.net/studio.html
http://facebook.com/ron.k.music
Old 11-16-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

If you've got a spare i could make good use of it 3 for the price of one!! incredible.

Seriously i can see the problem and i've had the same thoughts! And for me to have the same setup on 9 that i have on 8 i will have to buy LE9 as well as HD9 or have the hastle of carrying the ilok back and forth!!

Chris
Well, didn't we ALL already bought 2 or more systems. I did- 3xHD system and 2x LE system.
And still can't work when forgetting the ilok @ the studio. "ooh yeaah, but how could you forget your ilok @ the studio? Sorry sir, but can not do anything 4 you "

Probably the ANTI Piracy policy is NOT for people who anyway use illegal software, BUT for US idiots who are willing to pay for the same thing 4 times

*MacPro Quad 2.66 | 6GB Ram | OSX 10.9.8
HD6 Accel | Magma PE6R | 2x 192 I/O | PT 10