Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 12:22 AM

Default End of Region noise/click Issue takes new form!

Hi

Well I finally got used to recording with ADC turned OFF to avoid the spikes introduced into my regions at the end of every take. However, now I am getting something similiar with ADC OFF, but AVAILABLE in the Playback Engine.

I am getting weird bursts, pops, noise, etc, at the end of all my regions as soon as i stop recording. when I zoom in to look at it, it looks correlated to what I was recording. Its not the sharp "digital click" kind of thing that happens with ADC ON. Its looks like actual audio. As if a a quick section of sound (about 10ms or so) is being added to the end of my regions. (Kind of what it would look like if the singer was trying to speak at the instant i terminate recording) Its too quick to guess what it is, but it looks pretty much the same on every track. And when I play back a bunch of tracks with all sorts of overlapping, staggered regions, I hear a symphony of clicks as the play head passes over them.

This is really getting frustrating. I dealt with the ADC issue, but now Im getting it with it OFF. Is anyone having similar experience? I have to manually chop the end of each region recorded to get rid of them. Its quite annoying. I wish I could post pics here to show the visual of it.

Its definitely not a clock issue (I can see the audio being added, and its not random), I have tried all the standard troubleshooting.
And I am still using PT 6.7cs8, HD3 accel, OSX 10.3.8.

Any ideas?

MT

P.S. Can anyone tell me if 6.9 still has the End of Region clicks/spikes with ADC ON problem?
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 06-15-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Re: End of Region noise/click Issue takes new form!

Are you running low on DSP? I have some friends who have had occasional pops and clicks when they record at the edge of their DSP.

My New Instructional Mixing DVD 2 is Shipping
www.tonysound.com
http://twitter.com/tonysound
Old 06-15-2005, 11:55 PM

Hey Tony,

Thanks for the suggestion but my issues occur while tracking, using very minimal, if any, DSP/plugins. Im surprised that no one else is chiming in with the same issues.. Maybe I got a bad RAM stick or somethin.. But this is getting out of control.
Im almost certain that it is related to ADC being enabled in the Playback Engine, regardless of it being used or not..
??
MT
Old 06-16-2005, 08:50 AM
Avid

Default Re: End of Region noise/click Issue takes new form

Quote:
Hey Tony,

Thanks for the suggestion but my issues occur while tracking, using very minimal, if any, DSP/plugins. Im surprised that no one else is chiming in with the same issues.. Maybe I got a bad RAM stick or somethin.. But this is getting out of control.
Im almost certain that it is related to ADC being enabled in the Playback Engine, regardless of it being used or not..
??
MT
MT,

Couple of suggestions:
Change the "Delay compensation engine" to NONE in the PB engine, and
Turn on "Auto fades".

Let me know if this helps.

-tv

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."
Old 06-18-2005, 04:42 PM

Quote:

Couple of suggestions:
Change the "Delay compensation engine" to NONE in the PB engine, and
Turn on "Auto fades".

Let me know if this helps.

-tv
Thanks for the suggestion, but the whole idea is that I dont want to have to close and open large sessions (i.e. long load time) to keep switching the PB Engine to and from ADC enabled. The problem instantly goes away when I disable ADC in the PBE, but its a drag to have to do this each time a talent wants to jump in the booth for some quick ODs. And as far as Auto Fades. I never work with that on cuz I dont want to have to worry about clicks and pops when consolidating regions.

Digi, do you have ANY info whatsoever about the ADC/End of Region clicks problem? I feel that this is one of the most overlooked, but incredibly significant issues with Protools. Makes for very unprofessional recording sessions when everyone around me is asking why there are clicks in my recordings and their headphones, and I have to shrug it off as "eh, its just a PT bug". Have you guys been able to reproduce ANY of the ADC click issues discussed in this forum?

thanks
MT
Old 06-22-2005, 07:00 AM

MtEverest:

You are not alone in your click/noise problem and I am using 6.9. I can't figure it out, but it just started happening today. Exactly as you described. Anyone else with any ideas as to how to rid ourselves of this problem? I'd prefer not to have a workaround such as auto fades. Digi?
Old 09-12-2012, 04:27 PM

Sorry for bumping up an old thread.
I'm not using HD (and I'm on Windows), but I have the same issue.
Using PT 10 with Mbox Pro, and I get exactly the same "pop" at the end of each audio region I record.
Is there a fix for this?
Thanx.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:18 AM

Setting the Delay Compensation Engine to "Short" SOLVED my problem.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:35 PM

I have the same issue with my Mbox Pro and PT10.2 and turning on my delay compensation to short also got rid of the issue. I also have run into a delayed punch in when using quickpunch, when I punch in I don't here the new input signal until half a second later, very odd, followed by a snap at the end of the file. I have deleted data bases etc still not sure what causes it. There is another newer thread about this except the guy who started the thread was getting really loud sounds " explosions" at the end of his recorded files.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p...30#post1963430
Old 11-13-2012, 02:29 PM

Has this been addressed, Avid?