How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2006, 11:56 AM

Default Dead Fader ---- On my Control 23

Hi Team,

My Control 24 with the noisy outputs is still noisy.
I'm working with digideasing Tech support on this one.

But today another problem.

Fader 2 is dead !!

If I move the fader, the fader on the screen moves but if I move the one on the screen nothing happens on the control 24.
In utility mode, all faders test OK except channel 2.

How unlucky am I ?
More importantly, does anyone have any suggestions ?
I've tried a few resets.

Are they user replaceable ?
I'm competent with a screwdriver and a soldering iron,

Could it be the curse of the PSU and will cleaning all the connectors cure it?

Or is it just fecked....

Your thoughts/ suggestions would be most welcome (Especially if someone has actually replaced one in the past)

Cheers

Lizardpoint
Old 01-09-2006, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Dead Fader ---- On my Control 23

Faders are replacable. The one for Control 24 can be found here http://secure.digidesign.com/index.c...roductid=58351
It seems they're out of stock though.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:39 AM

I'm not sure about the fader, but the rest sounds likr the PSU, I'm assuming that you havn't replaced the PSU yet, here's a previous post of mine for repairing the PSU, when ours blew we lost the monitoring and the faders, sounds like yours isn't so far gone, Good luck.....

Like many others I've had problems with the C24 causing me to lose faders and monitoring, I had the added hassle of the product never having been registered despite being purchased from a major UK reseller, registration took 5-6 weeks to complete due to a mix up with serial numbers (the origional desk had been recalled from the reseller before we took delivery of it) as the C24 was not registered I had to speak with digi through their premium rate line which is a bit much when you have purchased £30000 worth of their products! The PSU finally arrived after 2 months but minus the caps and instructions for the fader board mods this took another 2-3 weeks. Thankfully, despite recieving no information from digi I repaired the old PSU which kept our dubbing suite running during the registration fiasco. I'm passing on the details of the repair for the electronically minded amongst you, the PSU is a fairly standard design and the components are all off the shelf.
First check that the fuses ZF8 and 9 are blown,
Replace the following components: IC1, IC2, IC4, IC5 (voltage regulators)D7, D8, D9, D10, BR2 and the 2 associated smoothing caps.
This should restore the +/- voltage rails for the monitor and fader sections.
Make sure that you replace the fuses with the same anti surge 3.15A type as 3 amp fuses will burn out within a day. (This is probably the cause of the failure, the PSU is being run hard)
This repair allowed us to continue operating although there was a hum present on the mic pres so an external mic pre was required.
The repair is only intended as a stop gap as the PSU is continuing to run hot and many of the components are showing signs of thermal damage. Has anyone else repaired the PSU?
Old 01-16-2006, 06:39 AM

I'm not sure about the fader, but the rest sounds likr the PSU, I'm assuming that you havn't replaced the PSU yet, here's a previous post of mine for repairing the PSU, when ours blew we lost the monitoring and the faders, sounds like yours isn't so far gone, Good luck.....

Like many others I've had problems with the C24 causing me to lose faders and monitoring, I had the added hassle of the product never having been registered despite being purchased from a major UK reseller, registration took 5-6 weeks to complete due to a mix up with serial numbers (the origional desk had been recalled from the reseller before we took delivery of it) as the C24 was not registered I had to speak with digi through their premium rate line which is a bit much when you have purchased £30000 worth of their products! The PSU finally arrived after 2 months but minus the caps and instructions for the fader board mods this took another 2-3 weeks. Thankfully, despite recieving no information from digi I repaired the old PSU which kept our dubbing suite running during the registration fiasco. I'm passing on the details of the repair for the electronically minded amongst you, the PSU is a fairly standard design and the components are all off the shelf.
First check that the fuses ZF8 and 9 are blown,
Replace the following components: IC1, IC2, IC4, IC5 (voltage regulators)D7, D8, D9, D10, BR2 and the 2 associated smoothing caps.
This should restore the +/- voltage rails for the monitor and fader sections.
Make sure that you replace the fuses with the same anti surge 3.15A type as 3 amp fuses will burn out within a day. (This is probably the cause of the failure, the PSU is being run hard)
This repair allowed us to continue operating although there was a hum present on the mic pres so an external mic pre was required.
The repair is only intended as a stop gap as the PSU is continuing to run hot and many of the components are showing signs of thermal damage. Has anyone else repaired the PSU?
Old 02-20-2006, 09:33 AM

Hey i'm having similar problems with my control 24..It freaked out saturday night..making a weird noise and now the monitor section doesn't work, the faders dont work, the pre amps dont work..its just a mess..

where do you get a PSU? does Digi sell them? or do you go to one of thier registered Audio repair shops to purchase one?

this just plain sux...

thanks!!
Glyph GT103 FW drive
Internal SATA
192 I/O
Old 02-20-2006, 03:58 PM

This sounds like a PSU issue. If you dont have the latest revision of the unit contact Digi tech support and they should replace the unit for free if you've registered your C24. Once in a while though the contacts on the PSU need to be cleaned with some good solution for those purposes. You could do that while you're waiting on replacement unit.