Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2004, 05:56 PM

Default Drum Loop Recommendations

I am looking for drum loops to create drum tracks for regular songs (as opposed to dropping in random single samples for hip-hop). Any recommendations for the most versatile and best sounding loops?

I heard some Reel Drum demos and I thought they sounded great, but they are pricey, though not out of the question. There are four different Reel Drums sets - anyone know what the difference is?

Any input appreciated...
Old 04-13-2004, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Drum Loop Recommendations

There are thousands of drum loops out there.Do a search for drum loops and you will come back with god knows how many..I like these guys, cheap and good.But there site is down right now Loops Maybe book mark it for future reference.I just got Mick Fleetwoods Acid collection which I've been experimenting with lately.

Old 04-13-2004, 06:18 PM

reel drums aren't loops, they're pt drum sessions that you can edit how you like. (each drum on a separate track)

For free loops, start here, and here.

good luck.

bp
Old 04-13-2004, 07:44 PM

I Would suggest making your own loops, using other peoples loops doesnt seem authentic to me. If you have reason adapted you can use ReDrum or just buy a cheap drum machine. Just a suggestion .
Old 04-13-2004, 08:15 PM

What is the difference between a "loop" and separate drum tracks? I thought a loop, by definition, was any drum "performance" (for lack of a better word) created by editing rather than recording them live. I guess not - so what is a "loop?"

Anyway - - - I really like the idea of Reel drums being separate tracks, so I can mix them seperately. Does anyone know the difference between the four different products?

By the way - thanks for links to the loops, I'm sure I will have some fun with those.

I also want to add that I downloaded the Naked Drums demo (also seperate tracks), but I did not care for the snare sound on the demo at all, though I am sure they have others. Maybe they purposely put one that sounds like a coffee can on the demo so you won't use it.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:20 PM

A loop is a bar or two of real drums that have been cut up,usually from a longer performance.Then you put them in sequence to your taste.Some are quite good, and you can come up with some interesting performances.With software you can manipulate tempo/meter/pitch etc.I have never used the Reel drums so I can't comment.

Old 04-13-2004, 08:23 PM

A fairly new term to the recording industry resulting from recent DAW's...loop-based-production. These DAW's that cater to this typically pull in fully mixed and bounced mono or stereo files that fit a particular tempo and rhythm (the tempo can be adjusted to a certain degree usually) and loop them over and over. The term 'loop' nowadays generally refers to these fully mixed prerecorded stereo and mono files. You can buy CD's filled with nothing but 2 4 8 and 16 bar 'loops'.

In reality, a loop is really anything that repeats, but in todays common terminology, it refers to these premixed and prerecorded stereo and mono files.

(So what's the difference b/w this and a sample....a sample is usually a single note value, where a loop is generally a bar or more.)
Old 04-13-2004, 08:25 PM

I really like Reeldrums. Very helpful in composing. Search the DUC for the last year as there have been many posts on Reeldrums.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12