Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2004, 04:38 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools TDM 6.4.1 Update for MIX Owners

In A Perfect World...

Could Digi have written ADC into the 6.4.1 update and bundled the update with a Mix Farm Card (which they've probably got boxes and boxes of!)... and (maybe) with some clever DSP allocation, dedicate an entire Farm Card to all the processing/calculations involved in ADC?!

6.4.1 Massive Bundle anyone?!?
Old 09-23-2004, 08:05 AM

Since AVID is the parent company, I wonder how many Film Composers that run on Quadra A/V's they still have in their "support logs"? There's NO way that they get a call from Paramount or Sony and the CS rep says "oh well your system is unsupported because it's too old". Yeah, The insalled user base of HD is much less than Mix so there's gotta be an ADC solution for us. On the other hand, re-coding a piece of software to address specific hardware that is no longer manufactured does not make good business sense. I wonder if a 3rd party could write the code for the Mix Card for ADC?

Old 09-29-2004, 04:01 AM

Never been any third party involvement in the ProTools app before, as far as I'm aware.

We live in eternal hope.

Old 09-29-2004, 10:56 AM

FajitaTone was not totally correct.

A friend works at Fox. They have SSLs that they want to use with Pro Tools HD. They want Pro Tools to chase just like every other video deck and virtual video deck with Sony 9-pin and SMPTE.

Pro Tolls will not chase the SSL. PT will work as a master to the SSL and have everything else chase PT, but it will not work as a slave.

Digi rep said that SSL does their SMPTE wrong, and so it is not Digi's fault. Fox is too small a company for Digi to deal with Pro Tools chasing SSL. Fox was looking at iCons for all their audio suites. They changed their mind.

That does not sound like Digi caters to the big companies to me.

RN
Old 10-01-2004, 09:48 AM

But SMPTE and Sony 9 Pin are 'Standardised' protocols?!

Sounds very weird that ProTools will act as a Master but can't Slave to the SSL.
Might be a stupid question but... have they tried reshaping (EQing or cuting or boosting) the code?
I had a problem before... where a poor Distribution Amplifier knocked the corners off my square-waved timecode.

We digress from the Forum.

Any possiblity of an update to 6.4.1 to include ADC?

Pretty please!!!???????

If I include the word Digidesign in my post, does Big Brother Digi get notified through cyberspace (or some very clever programming) and read it?

The mind boggles.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Any possiblity of an update to 6.4.1 to include ADC?
No. Here is an excerpt from this:

"Automatic Delay Compensation (ADC) relies on DSP hardware with the necessary memory complement for managing mixer channel compensation and applying the necessary delays. ADC's demands on Pro Tools|24 MIX hardware would have left insufficient DSP for typical processing needs (more than twice the amount of DSP would have been required for the mixers, in addition to the DSP required for delays); even then, the functionality would have provided only very limited amounts of delay compensation."

From the same document:

"If urgent field issues arise, Digidesign may address them with CS releases as before."

I'd say this thread covers (or links) to the urgent field issues they allude to. I wonder why there is an apparent lack of urgency to provide us with cs1.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:24 AM

Hi Tech Support,

I have purchased Pro Tools 6.2 but did not install it yet. I am still running 5.1.1.
My question is can I down load 6.4.1 and upgrade directly from 5.1.1 or must I install 6.2 first???

My system is a Mix3 running on a Mac G4.

Thank you,

Mutator