Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2024, 07:53 AM

Default TB3 Card for MTRX Studio - Possible to integrate HD I/O interfaces?

Hi there. I'm helping set up a studio where the existing setup is 2 HD I/O 's connected to an HDN PCI Card. We're adding Dolby Atmos to the setup, and went with the MTRX Studio to provide monitor control / tuning for the atmos system. Eventually we'll also migrate the stereo monitoring setup over to the MS as well.

He also purchased the TB3 option card.

I wanted to reach out here to get some clarity on what our options are with the MTRX Studio and how it could integrate with his existing HD I/O converters.

Does having the TB3 card now negate the need for his HDN card? IE - is there a way to connect digilink from the MTRX Studio to the HD I/O 's, and then use the TB card to interface to the computer? Does having the TB card allow the MTRX Studio to act as a digilink host in this way?

If not, is the only way to maintain use of the HD I/O's is to connect them, and the MTRX Studio as interfaces to the HDN Card?

I think I know the answer, but I'm having a hard time finding online resources for the Thunderbolt card that would confirm this. Perhaps someone from avid, or a user more experienced in this could chime in?

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-06-2024, 08:10 AM

Default Re: TB3 Card for MTRX Studio - Possible to integrate HD I/O interfaces?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogamble View Post
Hi there. I'm helping set up a studio where the existing setup is 2 HD I/O 's connected to an HDN PCI Card. We're adding Dolby Atmos to the setup, and went with the MTRX Studio to provide monitor control / tuning for the atmos system. Eventually we'll also migrate the stereo monitoring setup over to the MS as well.

He also purchased the TB3 option card.

I wanted to reach out here to get some clarity on what our options are with the MTRX Studio and how it could integrate with his existing HD I/O converters.

Does having the TB3 card now negate the need for his HDN card? IE - is there a way to connect digilink from the MTRX Studio to the HD I/O 's, and then use the TB card to interface to the computer? Does having the TB card allow the MTRX Studio to act as a digilink host in this way?
In a word, No.

If you were using HDN and now have TB3 you will get much better performance from the MTRX Studio's TB driver than from HD Native.

If you need IO expansion beyond what is on the MTRX Studio then look at Dante or ADAT expansion.

Quote:

If not, is the only way to maintain use of the HD I/O's is to connect them, and the MTRX Studio as interfaces to the HDN Card?
If you had HDX (rather than HD Native) then there is *sometimes* an argument for connecting one MTRX Studio digilink connector to one HDX digilink connector and using the other HDX digilink connector to connect to the HD IO.

But with HD Native, there is no point at all if you have the TB3 card.

The HD Native card and HDIO are a decent set up to sell on to someone.
I would do that in your position, and buy some appropriate expansion for the MTRX Studio from Focusrite, Ferrofish, Lynx, RME or any of the companies who make good quality ADAT/Dante expansion.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 02-06-2024, 10:01 AM

Appreciate the reply

You mentioned:

Quote:
If you were using HDN and now have TB3 you will get much better performance from the MTRX Studio's TB driver than from HD Native.
Do you mean actual performance in terms of how smoothly the unit runs, or do mean that in terms of functionality? I understand that going away from HDN and onto core audio would allow for higher voice counts in pro tools sessions for example. Anything else I might be missing?
Old 02-06-2024, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Appreciate the reply

You mentioned:

Do you mean actual performance in terms of how smoothly the unit runs, or do mean that in terms of functionality? I understand that going away from HDN and onto core audio would allow for higher voice counts in pro tools sessions for example. Anything else I might be missing?
I meant lower latency.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting