Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2003, 04:37 PM

Default Proposal

Give me a hammer, I want to smash it against my shinbone, so that to find some ease. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

The PC just crashed, because of a wrong treatment ( had accidentally laid my finger on the spacebar while I clicked on an automation point ) and took away six hours work.

Why I didnīt chose periodic automatic safe?
Because I donīt like it, as saving takes away undo states.

How about automatic saving in a parallel file, so that undos would be maintained in the open session?

Digi, is this a possible option?

If it is ... PLEASE realize it for 6.1. It would be so practical.

I will give me a whiskey now.

Thanks.

Lalaman
Old 05-03-2003, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Proposal

Lal,
Sorry that happened to you.
Now I understand why you are drinking.
Don't blame you.
Hopefully some tracks of your session are still on the drive somewhere and can be imported into a new
session.
What do you think is happening.
Could it still be the S/PDIF setting?

Ouch!

Swap
Old 05-03-2003, 06:32 PM

Hi Swap,

It was an operating mistake of me, but the system under S/PDIF obviously is more sensitive.

However, I think the possibility to automatically safe without losing undos would be a very good idea in general.

Better than a drink afterwards [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Lalaman
Old 05-03-2003, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaman:
Give me a hammer, I want to smash it against my shinbone, so that to find some ease. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

The PC just crashed, because of a wrong treatment ( had accidentally laid my finger on the spacebar while I clicked on an automation point ) and took away six hours work.

Why I didnīt chose periodic automatic safe?
Because I donīt like it, as saving takes away undo states.

How about automatic saving in a parallel file, so that undos would be maintained in the open session?

Digi, is this a possible option?

If it is ... PLEASE realize it for 6.1. It would be so practical.

I will give me a whiskey now.

Thanks.

Lalaman
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't know if you did this or not but turn on autosave in the preferences section. It will save a copy of the last session and all previous movements. I set mine for autobackup every 2 minutes and 5 backup files. This saves a completely different file. If anything happens to your original file you can open up the most recent backup and save it as the name of the file you lost. Got me out of a lot of trouble plenty of times, i.e. power failures, crashes, etc. Hope this helps. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Graphics: Radeon Pro 460 4096 MB
Running: PT HD 12.7.0
Interface: Apollo Quad 8P
Old 05-04-2003, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ke productions:
I don't know if you did this or not but turn on autosave in the preferences section. It will save a copy of the last session and all previous movements. I set mine for autobackup every 2 minutes and 5 backup files. This saves a completely different file. If anything happens to your original file you can open up the most recent backup and save it as the name of the file you lost. Got me out of a lot of trouble plenty of times, i.e. power failures, crashes, etc. Hope this helps. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi KE,

yap, I know that option, but I want the undo option to work, so that I can experiment all the time without having to remember every former detail.
But the problem is that any time a saving is done you canīt get back beyond that point of time in undo steps.
Hope to have explained right.

Greets,

Lalaman
Old 05-04-2003, 07:48 AM

This makes me wonder if the most basic of undo features that's currently lacking in version 5.x.x has made it into PT 6.. FADER MOVES!!

The amount of time I've moved a few faders only to realise I want to put them back exactly where they were and not being able to without doing it manually is very annoying.

You should also be able to undo changes to plug-ins settings where the plug-in has no automation assigned to it.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:39 AM

heres your solution:

buy windows ME on a dell for a year or two. it changed my life. the os would give me reboots all the time, and for no reason, it didnt matter what i did. or what i didnt do. and during the time with ME, i Ctrl+S'ed everything that could be saved with Ctrl+S. like, no matter what, word, excel, notepad, id even add pages to favorites so i wouldnt forget them when it crashed.

but id definately recommend downgrading to ME if you want to remember to save things every 3 seconds.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:26 AM

I have the same thing. The auto-save is programmed into my mind and pressing Ctrl-S after I do anything significant goes without thinking [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Sad that it's necessary, although I must say that I learned it more out of paranoia than bad experience.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:23 AM

Hey, maybe someone else will know more about this, but isn't there some kind of backup software that saves the current state of the machine so you can go back to it? Maybe rather than saving in Protools, you could just get a snapshot of the system and it would esentially save it for you while you maintain undo's.

Maybe I'm misuderstanding the function of that kind of software, but it doesn't seem like it would be hard to do... can anyone offer more info?
-Olaf
Today is a whole day of recording. A really rare thing these days! Yay!
Old 05-04-2003, 07:32 PM

I want to correct about my complaint. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

The fact that undos became unavailable when saving the session must have been due to my system at the corresponding state when it appeared that way.

Meanwhile the undos remain when I safe. So this thing is being alright in PT already. Great thing [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] , you can have PT automatically backing up while undo still works.

Rabidium,

I knew of a software like what you ask about, but I have forgotten its name. Somebody else here certainly will remember though.

The disadvantage I remember about it was that you couldnīt ghost while it was installed, unless you knew how to trick.

Lalaman