Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2013, 05:15 AM

Default PT10 sessions in PT11 problem

Lately I've been revisiting some old PT10 sessions. In the course of doing so I'm cleaning things up. For example I hadn't used instrument tracks when I've had to use multiple instruments in a vi (Kontakt 5 for example). For that I'd have K5 in an aux track and feed that with two ore more MIDI tracks. So in the revisit I'm slimming things down and using an instrument track and a MIDI track to feed the second instrument in K5. I slide the content of one MIDI track to the instrument track and the K5 instance that was on the aux to that instrument track. Any MIDI tracks that were routed to other than the first instrument in K5 automatically pickup the routing to the moved K5 in the instrument track. And of course the MIDI in the instrument correctly plays the first instrument in K5.

All well and good. The problem comes if I change the K5 instance to EWQLSO (Play 4) with two instruments in the Play instance. The MIDI in the instrument no longer plays the first instrument in EWQLSO - as a matter of fact it plays nothing. Checked and the MIDI is not muted in PT. The MIDI track feeding the second instrument plays the second instrument in EWQLSO/Play correctly. Routing in Play is right. If I change back to K5 everything in both tracks plays as it should. I also have this problem if I use any other vi in place of K5 so it's not just Play engine stuff doing this.

If I create a new instrument track and don't slide the K5 instance that was on the old aux track but instead have a newly created instance of K5 with the same instruments that was in the old aux track K5 but then decide to change to say EWQLSO/Play everything plays okay. Still using the MIDI from the old non-efficient setup I used dragged to the newly created Instrument track.

Another one of those has anybody run into this and what can I look at that might be screwing this up?

QAPLA!
Old 12-20-2013, 04:40 AM

Default Re: PT10 sessions in PT11 problem

No one have this problem? Am I the only one doing this?

QAPLA!
Old 12-20-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
No one have this problem? Am I the only one doing this?
Jack I've done a bit of the cleanup stuff you're talking about, but I don't have either Kontact or EW...(am getting EW real soon though!). However, instead of putting any MIDI info on the instrument track, did you try just setting up another MIDI track for instrument 1? Typically if I have an instrument, say Reason, where I will have multiple sound modules or parts being played off different MIDI inputs, I won't put any MIDI on the instrument track, but just use as many MIDI tracks as I need to play all the instrument parts.

I wonder if that might solve the issue? MIDI tracks take up so little memory anyway, it might be a better way to do it. Just a thought.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Jack I've done a bit of the cleanup stuff you're talking about, but I don't have either Kontact or EW...(am getting EW real soon though!). However, instead of putting any MIDI info on the instrument track, did you try just setting up another MIDI track for instrument 1? Typically if I have an instrument, say Reason, where I will have multiple sound modules or parts being played off different MIDI inputs, I won't put any MIDI on the instrument track, but just use as many MIDI tracks as I need to play all the instrument parts.

I wonder if that might solve the issue? MIDI tracks take up so little memory anyway, it might be a better way to do it. Just a thought.
That's the thing I want to get away from - using extra MIDI tracks where you don't need them. That's what Instrument tracks are made for - host a vi and MIDI in one track. Makes the session a LOT cleaner. Reason/Rewire is another matter altogether so doesn't make sense in this application - I'd never use Reason/Rewire that way anyways.

QAPLA!