Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2009, 02:51 PM

Default Consolidating Tracks?

I am mixing a project and I need to know how to consolidate the tracks (making multiple tracks into one). For example, I recorded one guitar on 3 tracks (one on cone, one on axis, and one in room). I Don't want one guitar to take up that many tracks, so how do I make all 3 tracks into one track? I know it can be done because a friend of mine has a friend that uses protools and he did it.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Consolidating Tracks?

Triple click the track to select it and Ctrl/Alt/3. Then Ctrl U, then Ctrl B to get rid of the unused regions.
If you've got three separate guitar tracks IMO I would leave them as three separate guitar tracks because you've got much more flexibility/control with effecting/panning them.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murt View Post
Triple click the track to select it and Ctrl/Alt/3. Then Ctrl U, then Ctrl B to get rid of the unused regions.
If you've got three separate guitar tracks IMO I would leave them as three separate guitar tracks because you've got much more flexibility/control with effecting/panning them.
I Know I have more control. But When I have one guitar on 3 tracks, I want it on one track. Its just on 3 tracks cuz i used 3 mics. So again, how do I get it on one track?
Old 09-28-2009, 04:05 PM

Create a new audio track. Set the input to an available bus. Send the three guitar tracks to it by setting their output to the above bus. Put the new audio track into record ready mode and play the guitar tracks to check your levels and make sure that you're not overloading the new audio track. Once you're happy record the three separate guitar tracks to the new audio track. You could also try the same as above but instead of creating a new audio track, create an Aux track and follow the other steps. That way you can control the three guitar tracks with the Aux track but without having to record a new track. Give it a go and see which you prefer.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:17 PM

If you create a new audio track and record, make the 3 guitar tracks inactive and 'hide' them, just in case you want them back later.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)