Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2009, 10:44 AM

Default Monitor existing audio when recording over it?

I frequently like to punch-in, and I know that this can be set up with a pre-roll to hear what comes before the punch-in. What I’m used to with Tracktion and Reaper, is to actually begin recording where you would normally start a pre-roll, and it’s possible to hear what was recorded on the track before as you record over it. Right now, when I hit F12 to begin recording, I can’t hear what was already recorded on that track. In Reaper, this is called something like “monitor existing media when recording”.

Does anyone know of a similar feature in PT?
Old 03-01-2009, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Monitor existing audio when recording over it?

What interface? The 002/003 units have a foot switch jack to enable punch in and out so you can start playback anywhere and hit the switch any time. You can also enable preroll with any number of bars and highlight the section where you want it to record and PT will punch for you. I always use either the switch or transport controls on my 003(depending on if I am playing at the same time) so there may be other methods. Now if you are talking about Mbox where you have to use the mix knob and mute the recording track, you're sort of screwed there and you may be best off recording a new track and then comping.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-01-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
What interface? The 002/003 units have a foot switch jack to enable punch in and out so you can start playback anywhere and hit the switch any time. You can also enable preroll with any number of bars and highlight the section where you want it to record and PT will punch for you. I always use either the switch or transport controls on my 003(depending on if I am playing at the same time) so there may be other methods. Now if you are talking about Mbox where you have to use the mix knob and mute the recording track, you're sort of screwed there and you may be best off recording a new track and then comping.
M-Audio soundcard, so out of the options you listed, the pre-roll feature is the only one I have access to...Which I'm sure I would get used to, but with PT you just never know what features are tucked away in some keyboard shortcut or preference...
Old 03-01-2009, 11:28 AM

option+k

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 03-01-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Young View Post
option+k
This allows me to monitor input during playback, as in when practicing a part before recording, but the original part is still muted on that track when recording...
Old 03-09-2009, 02:02 PM

JP, you might need to compromise,

Create a duplicate track with identical plugin/send settings for example
Guitar
and
Guitar Rec
Use your guitar rec track punch in.
Grab the result and drag it over your original part using 'relative grid'.

michae
myspace.com/miekwavesoundlab
Old 03-09-2009, 03:14 PM

Thanks, Michae! Yes, this is what I ultimately ended up doing, and it works just fine. It's nice to just right-click the track, select duplicate, and then it's easy.

It actually helps me to keep the project neat to do it this way. In Reaper and Tracktion I tended to get very confused with overlapping regions after a while...