Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2009, 09:44 PM

Default another noisy 192 inputs thread: SEASIA focus

ok, i see that this is a common problem - my 192 analog 1/o has started getting noisy inputs. actually it started years back with channels 3 6 and 8, then it took over 5 and 1 as well. i rerouted my inputs so i had 3 good inputs (all i needed) but now, finally, that fershlugginer noise has taken over EVERY DAMN INPUT CHANNEL.

i guess it's time to send it to digi to get repaired. unfortunately,

1) i live in indonesia, and have concerns about how good the service techs will be in jakarta, and

2) i'm always busy and am concerned about extended downtime

3) i'm extremely broke right now!

so:

a) has anyone ever gotten HD stuff serviced by la mesa in jakarta? ( http://www.lamesa.co.id/ ) are they any good?

b) how long is the turnaround time to get something like this repaired, particularly in a country where they're possibly going to have to ship the unit to digi america (ie. anyone outside of the us. have any experience with your average digidesign shipping times from the middle of nowhere)?

c) anyone have any idea roughly how much it would cost to get all 8 inputs repaired? i've heard "less than $300" mentioned a few times for 2-3 bad inputs - is it gonna rise significantly if they're all bad?

thanks for taking the time to answer my odd questions (if you can)!

ps. i recently upgraded my computer and core/accel cards, they're all brand spanking new, so i doubt simply reseating the pci cards will help.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:31 AM

Default Re: another noisy 192 inputs thread: SEASIA focus

I'm not sure whether this is a good advice, but it may be cheaper and faster if you buy a new analog input card for the 192 I/O (if the problem IS the card)...?

Peter
Old 06-26-2009, 11:03 PM

well, i just got 2 brand new cards through the trade-in/upgrade program, it's just the 192 that's still old. i was hoping getting new cards would solve the problem, but it didn't, so i'm assuming the problem is in the 192 box itself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
Have you tried opening the 192 and reseating the edge connectors?
This has worked for me in the past, heat can cause movement and the contact can be lost between card and connector.

Worth a try.

Regards
from another thread. anyone have any idea how to go about doing this? any online tutorials or something? it would help if i knew what the hell an edge connector was
Old 06-27-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkaz View Post
well, i just got 2 brand new cards through the trade-in/upgrade program, it's just the 192 that's still old. i was hoping getting new cards would solve the problem, but it didn't, so i'm assuming the problem is in the 192 box itself...

from another thread. anyone have any idea how to go about doing this? any online tutorials or something? it would help if i knew what the hell an edge connector was
Hi, If you have changed your cards and the noise still there it is definitely something else going on.. As for the edge connector I am guessing is the connector on the edge of the A/D D/A cards..

I can email you a picture I took when i opened my 192 to install the extra D/A card, but you probably seen it if you have installed the new cards yourself.

I had a noise problem on output 8 of my 192 and I opened, and reseated the connectors as well as reseating my HD cards.. the noise did not go. However for some reasons few weeks later the noise seemed to have stopped.. who knows.

Good luck