Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2004, 04:34 AM

Default What control surface for PT HD???

This is my first post!!
I'm buyin a Protools Hd and I would like to have a control surface.But not so expensive as the Digidesign.Any suggest?

Alek Corona
Dynamic Studios
ITALY
Old 01-03-2004, 01:31 PM

Default Re: What control surface for PT HD???

Hi!
First, welcome!

Depends on your wants and needs.
Shy of one of the Digi surfaces, HUI, Baby HUI, Mackie Universal w/ HUI emulation would be obvious choice.

I had (well, have, selling tho)a Mackie HUI. I used the monitor section, but have found a dedicated monitor level control to be cleaner.
Never used the pre's (2 of them) in it, cannot comment there.
All I ended up using on it was the faders, since I find keyboard shortcuts and setting my mouse up (for me) is much faster and efficient.

All that said, I opted to sell the HUI and buy a Yamaha 01V96, which offered a bit more outside of the control surface capabilities. Although the pre's and A/D is not as nice as the pre's and convertors I have, it has other uses.

As far as control surface, it works well, and gives me 16 simultaneous faders vs the 8 the others give (unless you grab a Mackie Universal and a Mackie Fader bank).
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:54 AM

Hi and tanx for your information. I was thinkin about the Mackie control Universal with HUI mode. I don't need pre. For pre I use only focusrite Isa 428. I need only a control surface to use also dynamics and plugs with my HD. What's the best choice for it? And I want also to upgrade it. Maybe I need 48 channels.

Alek

Old 01-04-2004, 01:30 PM

Hi!
I would say Mackie Universal. With "banking" buttons, you can access all the faders/tracks in a session.
I am unsure as to how well, if, and how many of the Mackie Expansion units can be used with Pro Tools TDM on Win OS.
Sounds like it would be perfect for what you want a control surface for though
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:51 AM

do you think I can also use mackie control for plugin etc? I won't buy a control surface just to use faders

Alek