Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2002, 10:48 AM

Default Hooking up your Triton to digi 001...

Anyone using a Triton Rack mount with your digi 001?

How are you hooking it up to your computer to take advantage of the optical out on the triton?

thanks,
Mark
Old 05-09-2002, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Hooking up your Triton to digi 001...

I am curious similarly about hooking up the didgital (adat) out on my Alesis QS8, I havent even attempted it yet, just curious if anyone has...
Old 05-09-2002, 01:00 PM

I have a Roland Fantor and I've tried both the optical and coax outputs and both work fine. My only b!tch is that the output is pretty low. Otherwise, it sounds great!
Old 05-09-2002, 01:11 PM

I connect my QS8 via the light pipe to the 001. Set the sync to optical (ADAT) on ptle and the sample rate to match on the QS8 (i use 44.1k). This will give you 4 channels 2 main and 2 aux. I personnally route them in via 2 stereo aux ins, one wet and one dry. Frees up the analog ins and much clearer signal. Only caveat is I can't mix ADAT and s/pdif so as to record to my minidisc recorder.
Old 05-09-2002, 09:12 PM

my specific question on the triton rack is that in the triton manual it says the spdif optical out on the Triton is at "a sampling frequency of 48 khz"

Does this mean that when I connect this to the optical in on the card on my computer that I have to somehow set a sampling rate somewhere in pro tools le to 48 khz?
Old 05-09-2002, 10:53 PM

i dont know for sure, but i would think that if it has a clock at 48k it would also be clockable at 44k. Thats one fine piece of equipment, so i would think so. Otherwise, or either way your clock has to macth the clock of you PT session. So if you can only clock at 48k then that means to use either spdif or adat you have to set the clock identacle. i have never gotten to record with the tritons, but if you cant set its clock to 44k (if you usually record at 24bit/44k like most folks) it may let you sync it to pt's internal clock to use digital outs. Otherwise you may just want it stick to the analog connections.

if you have 2 things running at different clocks you will hear popping noices which are quite ugly.

Christian
Old 05-10-2002, 09:27 AM

I have a Trinity V3, the product line before Triton. As far as I know, all the latest Korg instruments are 24 bit/48 k, so your setting should reflect their standards.

Hope this helps. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-10-2002, 10:16 AM

Hi Everyone,

I too have a Triton-R and it is pretty complete.
BUT...
It only outputs 48kHz on the optical out. On PTLE you have to set the session to 48kHz.
The output volume without using the Triton's on board compressors and/or effects is VERY low, and after some research, there is no way I have come up with to turn it up.
Also on the PTLE Playback Engine options you have to select S/pdif and not ADAT. This always resets to ADAT on power down so it can become a bit annoying...
Hope that helped!
Old 05-13-2002, 02:40 PM

charlie,

thanks for the reply. Quick question. If I already have a session that I've been doing at 44.1 khz and want to lay down some Triton tracks on it, can I use the digital out on the Triton for that session? Something tells me I can't use different sampling rates on different tracks within the same Pro Tools session.

I've always used the 44.1 sampling rate just because it was the first option. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to using 48 khz?

If I can't, then I'll just use the analog outs on the triton. I'm sure charlie already knows this, but I will tell everyone else out there, there is a huge difference in the sound quality between going through the analog inputs versus using the digital connection.

I A/B'ed the difference by recording the same demo song from the triton onto two stereo tracks in pro tools.

Track one: Triton analog outs into Rosetta A/D converter into pro tools via fiber optic cable.

Track two: Triton digital out directly into Pro tools via fiber optic cable.

Each track was recorded at the hottest level I could get without going into the red.

The digital only track was vastly superior. The bass was so much better it was incredible and the overall clarity of the sounds was a definite improvement. This was so even though I went through the Rosetta AD converter on the analog which is no slouch.

I'm sold on staying digital whevever possible.

Mark
Old 05-13-2002, 03:47 PM

Hi Mark,

I think you can turn the whole session to 48kHz by "Saving a copy as..." and changing the sample rate there. 48kHz is supposed to sound better than 44.1kHz, but it also takes up just a bit more CPU resources to run the plug-in toys.
You can actually record the Triton digital out at 48kHz in a 44.1 session, but if you listen carefully you will notice serious digital noise, pops, clicks, etc, because the clocks don't match.
When I bought the Triton-R I began doing 48kZz exclusively and have not noticed TOO much of a CPU hogging difference...
Good luck!
CharlieX