Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2009, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Low Latency Monitoring and Headphone Mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJCP View Post
Ah, I finally understood now!

THanks a lot, Lincoln for the detailed howto!

Cheers,

Andy
You're welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saved69 View Post
can we extend it for a tracking project with 16 input and 4 independent stéréo monitoring mixes with low latency, or does it only works with the Analog out 1/2 ?
You can use 16 inputs, yes. But I believe Analog out 1/2 are the only outputs that work with low latency monitoring. So, you could make two mono headphone mixes. One on Analog 1. And the second on Analog 2.

Since the MBox 2 Pro and 003 have 2 headphone jacks, all you would need is an adapter that made one earphone only listen to the left channel and the other earphone only listen to the right channel. I'm looking online to see if any are available. Of course, you could make your own with your own cable.

If I can't find the adapter premade, I'm going to order the parts and solder my own.

To wire it, I'm going to get two 1/4 inch stereo female cable ends and one stereo cable end.
The sleeves of the female cable ends will both connect to the sleeve of the male cable end. This is ground.
The tip and ring of the left female cable end will connected to the tip of the male cable end. This is the left channel.
The tip and ring of the right female cable end will be connected to the ring of the male cable end. This is the right channel.

I'll make two of these adapters, one for each headphone jack on the Digi interface.

If I want a musician's earphones to only listen to Analog 1, I'll plug his earphone into the left female cable end.
For Analog 2, just plug the other musician's earphone into the right female cable end of the other adapter.
2 gB ram
Lacie Rugged 5400 rpm firewire 800 on Siig Cardbus adapter
Roland 700SX stage piano
Studio Projects C3 mics
Melodyne Plugin
Dual Boot:
PTLE 8.0.1 on Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit
PTLE 8.0.1 on XP Media Center SP3
Old 10-13-2009, 06:35 PM

I am going to make the above mentioned low latency monitoring headphone adapters with this y-adapter from Radio Shack. I'll cut and splice them for the right wiring.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103869
Now I'll be able to have two separate headphone mixes.
2 gB ram
Roland 700SX stage piano
Studio Projects C3 mics
Melodyne Plugin
Dual Boot:
Old 10-14-2009, 02:09 PM

Hello LincolnT. I have read a lot of your posts and you seem very helpful. PLEASE help me with my problem. I just got the mbox 2 mini. I have installed it and I am monitoring off my headphones until I get speakers. I have imported my own sessions and created new sessions and everytime no matter what I do I only get sound out of the left side.

I am using a 1/4 inch adapter on my 1/8 inch headphone. I have switched adapters and it still doesn't work. I cannot get stereo no matter what I do.

Can you help me?
Old 10-14-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoosc25 View Post
Hello LincolnT. I have read a lot of your posts and you seem very helpful. PLEASE help me with my problem. I just got the mbox 2 mini. I have installed it and I am monitoring off my headphones until I get speakers. I have imported my own sessions and created new sessions and everytime no matter what I do I only get sound out of the left side.

I am using a 1/4 inch adapter on my 1/8 inch headphone. I have switched adapters and it still doesn't work. I cannot get stereo no matter what I do.

Can you help me?
Hello. I'd be glad to help.

It could be several things.

Check if your earphones work in a cd player.

Check if the 1/8th inch tip is fully seated in the headphone adapter.

Check if the 1/4 inch adapter is fully seated in the MBox.

Make sure your adapter is not a mono to stereo adapter.

Set all inputs, outputs, and busses to default in the Settings I/O dialog box.

If the problem is is during playback:
make sure track inputs from mic/analog 1.
And make sure it outputs to analog 1/2
Make a stereo master fader on analog 1/2 and check that both left and right level meters are showing volume.

If the problem is when you are recording, it is possible the mic only plays in one ear. That is what the original MBox does if the mono button is not pushed. The Mini does not have a mono button.

If you have the ability to play the line outs through a sound system you can check if the MBox is playing both tracks.

Re-ask your question by starting a new thread topic. Your question will get more attention if it is it's own thread. Thanks.

Let me know what you learn from these tests.
2 gB ram
Roland 700SX stage piano
Studio Projects C3 mics
Melodyne Plugin
Dual Boot:
Old 10-14-2009, 08:12 PM

I record at 256 and do not have latency. Why do you want to record at 64? I am using a 002r so it should not change anything. Hmm.....
Old 10-14-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisstudio View Post
I record at 256 and do not have latency. Why do you want to record at 64? I am using a 002r so it should not change anything. Hmm.....
At buffer 256 I got complaints from most clients about delay, at 128 only the most finicky complain about it, and at 64 I never hear complaints. We haven't used LLM since multi core CPUs have arrived. We now seldom go above 128 even for mixing large sessions.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-15-2009, 02:39 PM

Interesting.
As I said in my first post, 64 does not work with my relatively old computer.
I have not gotten any complaints at 128 so far as well.
But I recently recorded my own voice with 128 and when I had the headphone volume relatively low, it was horrible. Turning up the headphone volume, it was better, but I still did not feel completely comfortable. With low latency, it was much better.
Maybe I'm too "finicky"?
Old 10-15-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoosc25 View Post
Hello LincolnT. I have imported my own sessions and created new sessions and everytime no matter what I do I only get sound out of the left side.

Can you help me?
Phoosc25, Did you get it fixed?

Andy, you are not too finicky. I don't like latency either.
2 gB ram
Roland 700SX stage piano
Studio Projects C3 mics
Melodyne Plugin
Dual Boot:
Old 06-08-2010, 06:26 AM

Lincoln T. Could you email me that file outlining the routing you described? I couldn't get it off this site. Still trying to wrap my brain around this. Sounds good though. [email protected] thanks!