Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2006, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Recommendations needed for Protools training

Indeed! I know exactly what you mean and have experienced it myself. Hemloc, if you don't mind me asking, would you be so kind as to share your name?

filosofem
Old 10-26-2006, 12:31 PM

I figure I'll try tossing this in instead of starting a new thread.

Anyone know of a way to get the 300 level course books besides spending the 1800$ on certification? I'm going for my 200 level in January and want to take the 300 afterwards but would like to be able to start studying as soon as I can.

Thanks,

-Ryan
Old 10-30-2006, 02:36 PM

To the original poster: the introduction to recording in Pro Tools in chapters 12-14 of the manual would be my first reccomendation (because they're free). And if you can stomach it, a cover to cover read of the manual is the absolute best training for the cost (free).

To Ryan: I've only read the 101 and 110 books of the third edition, but it's my experience that the content is lifted verbatim from the reference guide (barring the excercises of course). Ex:in 110, Midi step input is taught with the exact same words and images used in the manual.

Is this the case with the 200 books as well?

After my experience with the 110 book, I decided to just read the manual and tech doc's since they cost a whole hell of a lot less for the same info. (oh except for the 101 adertisements for every Digi product ever made). But maybe there's actually something more in the higher levels of courseware...?

By the way, I put off my Digi cert for a while because I assumed they were rewriting the curriculum after 7.2. Does anyone know if they've done that yet?... of course if you're not interested in Post, that may not be important to you.

But I'm guessing a 310 book that is up to date is pretty hard to come by; good luck with that. I'd contact the instructor of your other Digi classes. I bet he/she'd be cool with letting you flip through a copy and see what to study up on in the manual, especially if you're committed to paying for the 200 cert.

-kirk
Old 10-30-2006, 05:11 PM

The 200 series books are a lot better than the 100. The 110 has some useful stuff in it but if you can find the info elsewhere you're not missing anything, the 200 series has some really good material in it.

I'm at Full Sail and taking my 200 cert through them and they don't offer the 300 certification, thus no access to the books.

Anyone have some advice?
Old 10-30-2006, 11:09 PM

Quote:
The 200 series books are a lot better than the 100.
That's good to know, because I was really unhappy with 101/110. Thanks for that info.