Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2022, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Avid Icon Control Surface Compatibility (D|Command/Control) with PT Studio 2022.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Really Eric? The only reason people drop $20,000 - $200,000 on larger Avid desks is to "impress clients"?
Never said it was the only reason, and never said it was anyone else's reason, I said it was the largest factor in obtaining a large format controller in my situation, and it was the rationale several years ago when we made the choice to keep a large console. More than one of our clients have said, quite directly, that they felt short-changed when working in rooms with small "mixing boards" and a mouse/keyboard; that they preferred the massive rooms, even though they don't know what all the equipment is for. They admitted that it was entirely perception, and were hip enough to understand that console size doesn't equate to quality, but I understood their point. So we dropped a lot of cash and the rooms look more impressive in photos. But they're no more effective at producing our preferred level of quality than the rooms with mid-sized controllers. And it doesn't even come down to speed because, again, our engineers have adapted to either size and know how to get the most out of either scenario. It's our choice, and I've not suggested that it's anyone else's nor that anyone else follow this model.

On top of all of this is the fact that far fewer clients are attending sessions these days, and it's only very slowly increasing, so even the perception of grandiosity is tough to justify in today's workflow.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:06 AM

Default Re: Avid Icon Control Surface Compatibility (D|Command/Control) with PT Studio 2022.4

The D controls look especially impressive, but are too long for my arms...
I still can't get around on a smaller controller the way I can on a D-Command, particularly automation, it's just so quick with the combo of dedicated mode buttons and user soft buttons. I'm on an old hd but would come back on sub if studio was Icon enabled. Guess I'll just be using the old version till the D-Command dies.