Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2004, 06:11 AM

Default Re: Purpose of overheads?

Chances are your samples were recorded with overhead microphones...at least the cymbal samples. If they weren't, there's not much you can do to replicate the sound of overhead microphones...best you'll probably get is the sound of room microphones, which it sounds like you've already figured out.

A few of the higher-end drum samples do capture the real ambience of a kit, including the sympathetic resonance of the other drums, maybe a little snare buzz, and so on...they're the ones that, if the part is programmed well, tend to sound so good it's scary.

-Duardo
Old 01-16-2004, 06:15 AM

Thank you all for your responses.

C.C., The Drum Kit From Hell sounds like a good product. Not sure if you could use that along with my planned purchase this weekend, the E-Mu Command Station PX7, though the specs say that one of the CDs contain programmed midi patterns. The PX7 doesn't sample. The stock sounds are many and tweakable, allowing me to create some very convincing hits, but I didn't hear the toms resonating in the kicks though.

I considered a sampling drum machine like the MPC line, but didn't like the idea of having to buy and search for samples. Sounds like all of you guys are working with real drums, but could you recommend a drum machine or sound module that may be better than my planned purchase?
Old 01-16-2004, 06:28 AM

Actually where, that's precisely what the Drumkit from Hell emphasizes. Its samples are made be recording one drum both close-mic'd AND with the bleed from the other mics. Have you heard the demo? It's freaky.

But if you're THAT good at making that MIDI code sound that realistic, you're probably a kick-ass drummer!

Old 01-16-2004, 07:25 AM

You guys are really peaking my interest in the DrumKit From Hell.

Let me explain my dilema and goals with you. Hopefully you all can offer some suggestions regarding my upcoming purchase.

Right now I'm working with the Boss DR 770. With some tweaking, I'm able to create good sounds. Because of the limited tracks(1) and outs(1 stero pair and 1 individual), I haven't figured out how to program the drums in the machine and send them to separate tracks in PT. It's MIDI capable, but I'm not able to assign different pads to different channels. So my drum programming process is... well to drawn out too explain.

I looked into CDs, but didn't want to use pre-recorded patterns. And I didn't have or want a sampler such as the MPC because I anticipated a constant search for samples and CDs. I wanted something I could program either in real time or in steps, preferable with velocity sensitive pads. This led me to the PX7. It contained some very convincing drum hits, versatile editing, good sequencer, and pads.

But you guys have opened my eyes to another aspect of drumming that I wasn't aware of. The DrumKit From Hell sounds like it would help in that area, but it appears to me that I would need a sampling drum machine to accompany it. Is this the case? Are there any more suggestions that feature this close miked, overhead sample combo?
Old 01-16-2004, 07:32 AM

While the drumkit from hell has ambient sounds and resonance, they cannot possibly the exact combination of drums and rooms and mics you are simulating for every situation. Yes they sound good for sampled drums, but they are not the real thing, and never will be.

My point being the resonance is specific from kit to kit, and no two kits will react the same. Change one drum, and the sound is compeletely different. Sampling simply cannot understand to that depth.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:27 AM

Quote:
My point being the resonance is specific from kit to kit, and no two kits will react the same. Change one drum, and the sound is compeletely different. Sampling simply cannot understand to that depth.
That's right, but as I understand it, you can't switch out different drums (and if I'm wrong and you can, you still shouldn't)...it's sampled as a whole kit...

-Duardo