Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2004, 04:31 AM

Default Re: The Mix is Dead! Long live the MIX!!!

.................................................. ..........
'Playing devil's advocate here, I think Mix owners have to ask what's in it for Digidesign. They are obviously not operating this company as a charity. Software development and testing is very costly, and the meager charge for software upgrades doesn't even things out. Then, there's that big, looming additional issue that is a forbidden topic of discussion on this forum, but greatly limits the revenue produced by Mix systems for Digidesign and their development partners.'
.................................................. ..........
I agree totally - I think a lot of people just stay with mix because of Piracy plugs. I think it is only fair to see them left in the dark after some years......
Old 03-17-2004, 06:32 AM

"Let me state this for Digi. As an HD owner, I hate to think your engineers are wasting time supporting obsolete Mix hardware in future releases of Pro Tools. I invested in a new HD system and I'd rather hear that those engineers working on new HD features please!"

Let me as you this. Are you so independently wealthy that if you had bought your HD system, and then it was replaced and no longer supported a mere two years later, you would still post the above? Because that's what happened with me and Mix Plus.
I am very pleased that I don't have to replace monitors, preamps, guitars, and mics every two years. I am less pleased at the Digi hardware financial race.

Old 03-17-2004, 07:13 AM

"I agree totally - I think a lot of people just stay with mix because of Piracy plugs. I think it is only fair to see them left in the dark after some years...... "

Hey hanz marathon,
If this is true, why do you think I'm asking for G5 and Panther compatibility with my Mix system since there is no piracy plugs in OS X? You should think a little bit more before saying things like this. All I'm asking for is support for hardware that I bougth. Take Care

Hey Alecio, como vao as coisas por ai? Muito trabalho? Ate mais...

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 03-17-2004, 07:55 AM

Quote:
We did. So did Digi. The Mix cards are PCI 2.1 compliant. They have both 3.3V and 5V keying. There is no reason that they shouldn't work in the G5.
There's a lot more to it than power supply issues. Remember what a struggle it was for Digidesign to get Mix systems fully functional with G4's? They had a tough time getting it to work with dual monitor systems, because of PCI bus swamping resulting in -6042 errors. Finally, they were able to work with Appian to come up with drivers for a very expensive video card that would work.

Lee Blaske
Old 03-17-2004, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Are you so independently wealthy that if you had bought your HD system, and then it was replaced and no longer supported a mere two years later, you would still post the above? Because that's what happened with me and Mix Plus.
I am very pleased that I don't have to replace monitors, preamps, guitars, and mics every two years.

That's my POINT! Mix is still supported by Digidesign and session files are compatible with the newest systems. Why can't you think of your Mix system as being just like your monitors, preamps, guitars and mics?

But you are asking for something beyond support. You are asking for future software to support legacy hardware, presumably for some period greater than two years if the rumor about Pro Tools 7 is true.

Do you call Genelec, Avalon, Ibanez and Shure every time they bring out a new mic, demanding they replace your old one at little or no cost? Of course not, because you understand that hardware costs money. But you expect Digidesign to effectively continue free or low cost upgrades to a major part of your system for more than 2 years after you purchased it?!

You are making the faulty assumption that software development is (unlike hardware development) somehow free. The reality is quite different.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:15 PM

We would love to upgrade all our Pro Tools to HD. Unfortunatly we have over 20 systems. It would be incredibly expensive. The reason I would love to see Mix work with G5's and OSX is for the firewire support. We have a lot of problems with G4's, OS9 and firewire. We move drives around all the time and they just stop working even if you are very carefull about mounting/unmounting. The new G5's support the new FW. It would be great if we could use that on all our mix systems.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:20 PM

Quote:
The new G5's support the new FW. It would be great if we could use that on all our mix systems.

By new FW, do you mean FW800? If so, I don't think Digidesign even supports that with HD systems at this point.

Lee Blaske
Old 03-17-2004, 03:52 PM

That was what I meant. Oh well.......back to SCSI....
Old 03-17-2004, 10:24 PM

if the mix system is suiting your needs but you're looking towards future software upgrades why not just go to an 002r and a G5? Too tell the truth. wouldn't it actually be better for digi to try and continue support for as many systems as possible in future upgrades as they make more money by charging people to upgrade more systems? they always develop for the bleeding edge first so why wouldn't they want the HD and HD Accel systems online first? and for the HD guy who doesn't want digi to support older systems, just think, your HD system is currently 1 generation old as well.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Quote:
We did. So did Digi. The Mix cards are PCI 2.1 compliant. They have both 3.3V and 5V keying. There is no reason that they shouldn't work in the G5.
There's a lot more to it than power supply issues. Remember what a struggle it was for Digidesign to get Mix systems fully functional with G4's? They had a tough time getting it to work with dual monitor systems, because of PCI bus swamping resulting in -6042 errors. Finally, they were able to work with Appian to come up with drivers for a very expensive video card that would work.

Lee Blaske
Yeah Lee, as usual you're right! How I wished you were wrong for just once . I thaught it was an issue with the PCI bridge chip used in the G4's, but now it seems that it IS a issue with the Mix-cards..
I realy hope they give us chance , since The good-old G3 B&W were excluded from the Protools to os-X jump, and now Mix+ is excluded to the G5 jump Double punnishment here..
I can't buy AND a new G5 AND upgrade to HD ACCEL.. Please Digi, Have Merci!!

Huby