Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2004, 05:07 PM

Default The Mix is Dead! Long live the MIX!!!

I just wanted to make a post to let digi know that mix hardware users are still alive and plentiful. I for one would like continued support for G5 and OSX 10.2.X versions and up.
I like many others found no need to upgrade since all my requirements are being met with existing hardware so digi please DONT abandon us!!!! We will upgrade eventually but for now we are content.
If you like me are in the same situation cast your vote here!!

Mix hardware is dead, long live Mix hardware!!!
Old 03-15-2004, 10:11 PM

Default Re: The Mix is Dead! Long live the MIX!!!

You have my vote! I plan on keeping my mix system around a couple of more years. I've got plenty of power, and I'm happy with the results I'm getting out of it. No need for me to upgrade. Until I lose clients because they want Accel, I'm not upgrading. Spending the money on outboard equipment instead. You know, the equipment that doesn't lose half it's value in 6 months!
Old 03-15-2004, 10:32 PM

Amen my brother!!!
Im also spending on outboard preamps etc.. they dont date as easily...
Old 03-15-2004, 10:41 PM

I have use for both Mix and HD. HD for the big stuff at work and Mix 3 for home use. They both work great and do what I want them to do. If Mix hardware support is abandoned, Digidesign will not be getting an HD order from me. They might get one eventually when I have clear need, but I refuse to buy into the constant upgrade path until that happens. And abandonment of Mix support will not constitute clear need.

rcm
Old 03-16-2004, 01:26 AM

yeah, I am pondering the thought of a mix system or HD. I'm just worried that digi will NEVER offer support for G5...
MAC PRO Dual 3.2GHz Quad- Core
8 GB RAM
EXTERNAL OWC FIREWIRE 800 Drives
2 x Digi 192 i/o 24 ins 24 outs
Old 03-16-2004, 02:15 AM

I bought an Apogee Rosetta 800 for my Mix system to replace ADAT converters. I think this was a better investement than HD for me. I still love my Mix cards, which have not got any worse over the last few years. Also just can't let go of Lexiverb. I think my step up to HD will depend more on when their is a convincing HTDM reverb that I like.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:35 AM

Quote:
yeah, I am pondering the thought of a mix system or HD. I'm just worried that digi will NEVER offer support for G5...
I've heard grumblings of this (NO support for Mix on a G5) as well. PLEASE SAY IT ISN"T SO! I don't WANT to jump Digi's Ship, but I may be forced.

Tim

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 03-16-2004, 07:43 AM

Hey, I hear you, bro. Mix system here too... 10 CD's done last year in my Mix System. I hope we get support for G5 and for Panther. No support, no upgrade, for me. That the way I think. Long live Mix Sysytems!!! Take Care.

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 03-16-2004, 07:47 AM

I couldn't agree more. I bust the bank to buy a C24 and MixPlus hardware and it meets all my current needs. I will splurge again in a few years, but for now want to get mileage out of what I have - so please Digi do not abandon the Mix platform.

However, what I will say is that a public declaration of your intent would be very helpful. Even if we don't like your plans, it would be so much better if you could clearly state how long you will keep mix systems current so that we can all make the appropriate investment decisions for our own circumstances. Keeping us in the dark is extremely poor customer service, especially given how much we have all spent to be loyal Digi customers.

In summary, please tell us your plans for ongoing support for the mix platform, and please show us a roadmap that allows us to stay currrent with PT and OS releases for a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks for listening.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:32 AM

First of all, I wouldn't be so sure that it would be technically possible to have Mix systems working flawlessly on G5's. Stop and think how OLD that hardware is. It was developed during the era of the Mac 9600. That's pretty ancient compared to the Mac platforms we have now, and a lot of the standards are quite different. The Mix cards had very anemic PCI bus buffering. I don't know if that can be overcome with software. I'll bet Digidesign gave it a good try, and I'll bet they would have done it if they could.

Mix support has already continued for a very long time in computer industry terms. In fact, it's continued longer than any other Mac based product I can remember. I think back on some of the expensive video capture cards that I bought (like the Video Vision and Miro DC-30). Those companies discontinued support for those products a short time after I purchased them.

Playing devil's advocate here, I think Mix owners have to ask what's in it for Digidesign. They are obviously not operating this company as a charity. Software development and testing is very costly, and the meager charge for software upgrades doesn't even things out. Then, there's that big, looming additional issue that is a forbidden topic of discussion on this forum, but greatly limits the revenue produced by Mix systems for Digidesign and their development partners.

I don't think Digidesign is going to react well to threats of jumping ship. They'll do what they can do to try to encourage people to stay onboard by offering a continual string of upgrade deals. Frankly, at this point, I doubt that a lot of long time PT users have the stick-to-it-iveness to change their working habits and invest a lot of time learning a new audio/MIDI application. I think Digidesign is quite safe in this regard, and I think they know it.

Fortunately, Mix systems will continue to operate on older machines, and that hardware is still very plentiful.

Lee Blaske