Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2009, 07:59 PM

Default MIDI setup in PT8, nothing works

So I've been using PT8 for almost 4 months now and haven't had a need for MIDI until now. I used MIDI with my old PC and 7.3 but can't get it working on my Mac with 8.0. I'm using the same 003R, cables, and instruments.

I have no response when sending previously recorded data (with 7.3) out to either the keyboard or the TD-12 drum module, same thing with recording MIDI in. I can record MIDI in when using my Oxygen 61 controller via MIDI out on it to MIDI in on the 003R. AMS is useless as nothing appears to be responding there. I created a new device for the keyboard but still no response. There are 5 original icons in the AMS box: IAC Driver, Network, USB Oxygen 61, TonePort DI-G, and Digi 003. Interesting thing is that the TonePort isn't a MIDI device. I added a sixth icon for the keyboard but as I said, it does nothing. Rescan MIDI and test setup also do nothing, I try to send data from either device and no change.

When I connect the MIDI out of the keyboard to the MIDI in on the 003R, the MIDI in light comes on solid as soon as it's connected.

Tracks are set up as "all" for input and I've tried every possible output one at a time for playback tracks.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:01 PM

Default Re: MIDI setup in PT8, nothing works

Since your Oxygen is already in AMS, you do not need to connect it to anything else is AMS and you should not connect it with a MIDI cable to anything. This should mean that you have it connected via a USB cable, right?

In Protools, go to Setup>MIDI>Input devices and make sure the Oxygen is in the list and checked.. You did say you can record MIDI with it but you also kind of contradicted yourself...

The keyboard is not a sound device just a controller, so there is no reason to send MIDI to it..

You probably don't know how to use "test setup"... All it does is make sound (OSX system sound, not in ProTools) when a MIDI device is correctly outputting MIDI. You can also click on the ports to test sound modules, because if they are connected correctly, they will receive some random MIDI from AMS, and if you are monitoring their audio outputs you can hear it..

Your TD12 might need to be set up as a device in AMS. Not sure if there is a midnam file out there so you can access the patches from protools. I'm assuming that the TD-12 needs to be connected with MIDI cables, so just use the ports on the 003.. If you can't get the TD-12 working in AMS (I'm not going to explain all of that here), then you can still send MIDI to it from a ProTools MIDI track by using the MIDI output selector and choosing "003 predefined 1 > channel 1 (or maybe channel 10 since it's drums)". That just sends MIDI to that port regardless of what is connected there..
Old 05-11-2009, 05:26 AM

I appreciate the response but I think you're confused as to my issue. I'm quite familiar with normal MIDI setup and configuration as I used it with PT 7.3 for years. I know that MIDI is data and not sound.

The problem here is the Oxygen 61 MIDI controller will send MIDI data but the Yamaha M08 keyboard and the Roland TD-12 drum module will neither send nor receive data. They both worked find with the same 003R and cables. The TD-12 functions on channel 10. They also would work in PT7.3 without any component specific configuration, just needed channel 10 for the drums and 1 for the keys.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:03 AM

Well, seeing as how you didn't mention the MO8, perhaps my confusion is understandable...

Go here and download the MIDI driver for the MO8:

http://www.yamahasynth.com/downloads...ers/mo/driver/

I'm assuming that you are connecting it via USB, since you haven't explained how you connected it and you don't list a MIDI interface... Or did you leave that out too?

The TD-12 should work if you configure it as a device in AMS and drag the cables accordingly.. I don't know if you can connect that with USB, but if so there may be a driver for it, as well... Like I said, I don't know if a midnam file is out there for it..
Old 05-11-2009, 08:55 AM

You must have missed my previous comments where I did mention having a MIDI controller, keyboard, and drum module. No problem, it happens. The Oxygen 61 is not a keyboard but rather a MIDI controller, it has keys but is not to be confused with a device that can output audio hence not a keyboard, thus I mentioned both a keyboard and MIDI controller since they are 2 different devices. Sorry, I thought most people knew that. The Oxygen 61 is the only MIDI related device to have a USB interaction since it is the controller. Other external devices were not required to have both USB and MIDI in my previous setup and the TD-12 doesn't even have a USB port.

The 003R that I mentioned is the MIDI interface with a 1 in and 2 out ability.

Again, I'm using the same hardware and software setup with PT8, 003R, Mac Pro that I was with PT7.3, 003R, and PC. I'm just trying to find what the available helps have not mentioned, I figure it has to be something simple.

So the hardware setup is:
* MIDI cable connected to the 003R out and to the Yamaha M08 in
* MIDI cable connected to the 003R in and to the Yamaha M08 out (though really not necessary since I'm just trying to play data from Pro Tools and not record at this point)
* USB connection from the Ogygen 61 to the Mac Pro (no MIDI cables attached to the Oxygen 61 currently, only connected MIDI cables in the past to test MIDI input abilities of the system)
* Firewire 400 from the 003R to the Mac Pro

Thanks for the link to Yamaha drivers. I wasn't aware that a Mac needed drivers since my PC didn't need them.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
You must have missed my previous comments where I did mention having a MIDI controller, keyboard, and drum module
Actually, I did see that but many noobs use controller and keyboard interchangeably.. My mistake was assuming you were doing that

And, since you are connecting the MO8 via MIDI cables the driver won't help. I think it is just for using the USB connection. But you certainly could (should?) connect it that way.

And how are you connecting the TD-12? Unplugging the MO?

I still wonder if you are using AMS correctly... Are you dragging cables between the ports of the devices you created?

And sending and receiving using "003 predefined port 1 > channel (whatever)" should work in any case..

What is strange is if your MIDI track is set to "all" for it's input and it won't receive MIDI from the MO8..

What version of OSX are you using?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:13 AM

OS 10.5.5
PT 8.0 (no CS updates, those didn't appear to be necessary as I wasn't having any of those troubles. I don't like to update if it isn't broke)

Yes, I unplug the M08 and swap the cables over to the TD-12 and then change the channel to 10 in Pro Tools for MIDI out. Using pre-recorded tracks (a few of them in different sessions) has the same no-go results.

The inability to receive MIDI data from either component is really confusing since it has "all" for incoming. The MIDI light for 'in' on the 003R is on constantly as soon as I connect it to the 003R (M08 out to 003R in), even before pressing any key. I thought that was odd but the TD-12 which also has no data transfer into the 003R doesn't have the light on at all yet won't transfer data. The MIDI out lights on the 003R don't come on ever.

I'm thinking that I'm not using AMS correctly also but I've run out of possible configurations for devices and cables. Test does nothing that I see but I'm not sure what I should notice from that. Scan also comes back with no changes that I can see. There is no option for the Yamaha entry I created in the MIDI out drop box for a MIDI track like there is for the Oxygen and the TonePort. Still don't know why the TonePort shows up since it's not a MIDI device, probably since it has a USB connection. Maybe I'll try to USB cable on the M08 but that won't resolve the TD-12 issue.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:46 AM

To use the test setup, you have to be able to hear your mac's system sounds. Then, if you play a midi controller that is working, the mac will playback some random audio (and I think the device port flashes). Try with the Oxygen, because that seems to be working... To test a sound module, you click on it's ports and the mac will send random MIDI to it, causing it to play..

It is probably worth getting the USB cable hooked up because it will bypass the 003 (which sounds like part of the problem) and it might even allow you to use the MIDI ports on the MO8 as extra ports (for the TD-12). Don't quote me on that, though.. You might have to configure something on the M08 to make that happen.

As to the problems with the 003, I really don't know. There are the usual steps of trashing prefs and databases as per the troubleshooting thread.. Maybe there is some kind of firmware update that is supposed to get applied to the 003 when updating to v8 which didn't happen correctly.. It does have some kind of utility mode which allows you to run some tests.. Maybe you could look into that...
Old 08-27-2009, 07:54 PM

Blue, did this issue ever get resolved for you? im having the same EXACT issue. 002r will show midi input (the little green light will light up when i press a key on the keyboard).
I can not select a receive ch or send to ch in the peripherals dialogue screen. bummer because it was working perfectly a few weeks ago...

PT8, G5 dual 2.0ghz tower 7g of ram, OSX 10.5.6, 002R, (Midi devices: Mackie HUI, Casio privia keyboard, roland TD-20)
Old 08-28-2009, 04:51 AM

It resolved itself with no action on my part, the necessary options in the drop down menu's just appeared one day. It didn't have the necessary options present for a while (several weeks if I recall correctly), then they just appeared in my MIDI options.