Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2011, 11:43 AM

Default CPU usage jumps, -9128 errors start

So in the last few days I've started having this problem.
A song will play through fine 3 or 4 times.
CPU usage hovers around 19-20%.

However, after stopping the 3rd or 4th playback through a song, the CPU usage jumps to over 45%. Once I restart playback, the CPU usage drops back down to ~25% during playback but jumps up again once playback stops.
However, after the CPU usage goes up I start getting -9128 errors and dropouts, making the session unusable.

PT 9.0.5, Win 7 64bit, Lynx AES16e.

Cheers.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:37 PM

Default Re: CPU usage jumps, -9128 errors start

Having a bunch of these errors myself. You haven't given anywhere near enough info, but what works for me on an i7 950 rig; go to Setup>Playback Engine and click on Host Processors and select half the cores available. Mine shows 8 cores(i7 quad with hyperthreading enabled). Selecting 8,7,6 or 5 cores all give lots of 9128 errors with stopped playback. Selecting 4 cores at 95% appears to be running great at the 64 buffer.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-15-2011, 02:19 PM

It happens to me with 4 (out of 8) processors selected.
Same thing, after the third playback CPU jumps up and I start getting errors.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:29 PM

My Mac was doing similar things and it was a plugin denorm issue.
Try bypassing certain plugs and watch your CPU RTAS meter to see how it affects your system, (my problem ended up being speakerphone, and a dither plugin in the slot before it solved my issues).
Its worth a look.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:11 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello all!! im new to protools and have the same problem as most here. the popping sound!!! im sure you have tried everything with no luck. right? well my friends the problem is solved!!!!! for windows 7. this may work on other os ..ok here you go!!

if you notice when you minimize windows while there is playback the popping stops right? this is the result in most cases...try it.. see if it helps..ok, lets assume that worked..now for the permanent fix!!!

go to computer under start menu..go to system properties. click on device manager. click on display adapters. then right click your video card and click on disable. then restart your computer... when you go to run protools now. the popping is gone!!! so , it seems to be a problem with the windows 7 video card driver update being compatable with protools se. i tried just uninstalling the driver, but there were video issues. so by disabling the device but issues were resolved.
i hope this helps others. please post a response if it did help you!!!!
this was days and hours of trouble shooting. i have verified this result 5 times over before posting.. ok, now get recording!!!!!!!
Old 11-27-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONDIN View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello all!! im new to protools and have the same problem as most here. the popping sound!!! im sure you have tried everything with no luck. right? well my friends the problem is solved!!!!! for windows 7. this may work on other os ..ok here you go!!

if you notice when you minimize windows while there is playback the popping stops right? this is the result in most cases...try it.. see if it helps..ok, lets assume that worked..now for the permanent fix!!!

go to computer under start menu..go to system properties. click on device manager. click on display adapters. then right click your video card and click on disable. then restart your computer... when you go to run protools now. the popping is gone!!! so , it seems to be a problem with the windows 7 video card driver update being compatable with protools se. i tried just uninstalling the driver, but there were video issues. so by disabling the device but issues were resolved.
i hope this helps others. please post a response if it did help you!!!!
this was days and hours of trouble shooting. i have verified this result 5 times over before posting.. ok, now get recording!!!!!!!
Have you tried downloading the latest video card driver from the vendor's website? I would not trust the driver that comes with the Windows Update Option.