Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2006, 02:48 AM

Default Nothing new at AES?

No new dsp cards or HD sync or Control 24 replacement or 7.3 preview? Anything?

I see Fairlight had a new card that has one chip that's as powerful as 8 Accel cards - I know it's one thing having the power and another putting it to some productive use but Accel 64/128/256/Extreme where are you? I've given up battling with my expansion chassis for now and am running an HD3 Accel which for my immediate use is fine but next year...
Old 10-07-2006, 08:18 AM

Default Re: Nothing new at AES?

Quote:
No new DSP, HD sync is coming (when I don't know) but I don't see it here, I do see a Control|24 on the show floor, and no system is running a version later than v7.2.1.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:18 AM

Everything I saw w/ 7.2 something, and no buzz about anything further. It seemed like they were mostly into demoing a big Icon setup, which I will admit seemed much more solid and console-like than I had expected. There was plenty of action around the lesser systems all day too--pretty much always a crowd everytime I went by. New MBox looked better than I expected. There was also a big crowd @ Fairlight, and a surprisingly (to me) big crowd @ SSL. New stuff(to me anyhow): Zaxcom's field recorder the size of a wireless TX (stereo w/ TC), Dan Dugan's new version of his auto-mixer, now software controlled; Sadie's LRX2 48 track field recorder/editor/mixer about the size of a laptop, the dizzying breadth of the Wohler product line--very cool looking meters etc that are also Dolby E and Dolby Digital decoders, some with speakers and picture monitors in them as well; our own Richard Fairbanks adding sound-level meter capability to his SynCheck box (great and very informative demo--thanks); and a really-not-bad packaged vegetarian sandwich from the food vendors--perhaps the biggest surprise of all. I never found Blue Sky's booth, despite a search. Were they there?

Philip Perkins
Old 10-07-2006, 12:38 PM

Quote:

I see Fairlight had a new card that has one chip that's as powerful as 8 Accel cards
not only that, it also has a video-out onboard that supports SD and HD plus over 200 tracks of audio capacity.

frank.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:21 PM

Hi All,
In response to fairlights card, it only has 32 buses per card?? What the hell? The DSP is almost not even usable without more buses.
Peace,
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 10-07-2006, 10:35 PM

Hello. Well here's the NEW part as far as Digidesign. 7.3. A nice guy let me peruse through their internal 'What's New in 7.3' document. As far as HD goes, there's a couple of interesting things. A new RTAS engine which will NOT stop playback or record when a buffer error occurs, a secondary Timecode timeline, a 'micro' size audio track (smaller than mini), continously resizable audio tracks (the user sets the size by dragging up and down), support for the Sync HD interface, new Zoom Toggle defaults and capabilities, Window Configuration memory settings similar to the Markers window but dealing with the Mix and Edit windows, a default Click track, looping capabilities without stopping playback, a Loop Trimmer tool, creating and copying sends, auxes, plug ins dragging and copying, etc ALL WITHOUT stopping playback, Export MIDI improvements, Export to Sibelius command.

I think that's about it for 7.3, maybe a couple of things I don't recall at the moment. Sync HD is scheduled for some time before the end of the year, but will probably not include Tri Level sync; that will be added by a firmware update later on next year. 7.3 will probably be for sometime in mid to late November. It may require an upgrade path for 7.2 owners, probably not though.

LE 7.3 will also come along and sort of catch up. However no multiple video tracks for LE, or simple video editing, or VCA tracks, or Volume Trim automation timeline on the Edit window. As far as I could tell a lot of the really fantastic part of 7.2 for TDM did not make it to LE 7.3. Bummer.

Nothing written in stone, all subject to change, etc, etc.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:08 AM

Thanks Froyo,
That's great. Always feel a million miles from where it's all happening!

ps Brandonx1 Fairlight card says 72 busses doesn't it?

Quote:
A new RTAS engine which will NOT stop playback or record when a buffer error occurs
Cool.

Quote:
a secondary Timecode timeline
Cool.

Quote:
a 'micro' size audio track (smaller than mini)
Meh.

Quote:
continously resizable audio tracks (the user sets the size by dragging up and down)
Ok.

Quote:
support for the Sync HD interface
Cool.

Quote:
new Zoom Toggle defaults and capabilities
Hurrah.

Quote:
Window Configuration memory settings similar to the Markers window but dealing with the Mix and Edit windows
Great.

Quote:
a default Click track, looping capabilities without stopping playback, a Loop Trimmer tool
Meh.

Quote:
creating and copying sends, auxes, plug ins dragging and copying, etc ALL WITHOUT stopping playback
Very cool.

Quote:
Export MIDI improvements, Export to Sibelius command.
Meh.

Quote:
I think that's about it for 7.3, maybe a couple of things I don't recall at the moment. Sync HD is scheduled for some time before the end of the year, but will probably not include Tri Level sync; that will be added by a firmware update later on next year. 7.3 will probably be for sometime in mid to late November. It may require an upgrade path for 7.2 owners, probably not though.

Cool.

You can tell I'm in post, none of this looping or midi or scoring stuff!