Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2023, 10:14 PM

Default Need Help! Issue with v10 Pinwheel Freeze

Hey all! So I'm sure just like many of you here using Pro Tools 10, you run into errors that make absolutely no sense. I've been able to fix almost every issue I've come across but this one has officially stumped me.

I've been using Pro Tools v10.3.10 on this PC(Win10) for about 8 years with nearly no issues. I recently moved across state, got my computer up and running, and now Pro Tools is giving me a blue pinwheel while also freezing up whenever I click anything within the software. If I click at all it locks up for about 8 seconds and then proceeds to do the command. But no errors at all.

I also own Pro Tools v11.3. So I tried to open a session in v11 and it works perfectly fine.. which tells me it's an issue with v10.

I've tried reinstalling Pro Tools 10 completely, reinstalled iLok manager, removed prefs, 60gb space on my drive, removed all plugins, matched sample rate in both pro tools and audio interface, buffer size at 512, Host Proc: 8 Processors, and 85% CPU usage.

If anyone has come across this issue, please help! I would be very thankful.

PC SPECS:
Windows 10 Pro
AMD RYZEN 5 3600XT 6-CORE / 3.79 GHz
16 GB RAM
Old 06-27-2023, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Need Help! Issue with v10 Pinwheel Freeze

Hi, welcome to the community.

If the system specs on your signature are up to date, you are running an unsupported configuration. More info here.
Old 06-27-2023, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Hi, welcome to the community.

If the system specs on your signature are up to date, you are running an unsupported configuration. More info here.

Thank you for responding! If it's a unsupported configuration, how did I use it fine for so long without really any issues? I've been on WIN10 for a while now. Maybe a recent windows update or something that could of messed this up?
Old 06-27-2023, 11:22 PM

You have had good luck
Old 06-28-2023, 12:14 AM

Yep off the compatibility grid.. https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart

Even if you and others can get it working for a while. Your call if you want to try to get it working again. I'd personally not.

You can try looking in the Pro Tools log file for anything interesting looking, same for the Windows Event Viewer... looking for times where you see this behavior. It's a long shot but still worth looking.

Do you notice the overall system running slow at any times or is it only Pro Tools? The symptom is also what you might see with a memory leak (often caused by bad plugins) with later versions of Pro Tools, but since Pro Tools 10 is 32 bits and can only access ~4GB that normally cannot pull down the overall system.... but do you have Pro Tools 10 HD? And if so what size is the disk cache set to? Try setting it to "Normal".

If it was working and then suddenly stopped working, what did you change? Obvious suspects are plugin changes/updates or Windows updates (auto updates should be turned off). If you removed all plugins files (from *both* of the plugin folders.. you must remove plugins from both RTAS and AAX folders--did you?) then you excluded that.

When you reinstalled Pro Tools what did you do exactly? Sadly the uninstaller on Windows is not always the best, can't remember in Pro Tools 10 era but you might want to look around and manually remove anything that looks like Pro Tools.

I personally would upgrade Pro Tools, but if you need to be in version 10 roll back to your last good backup. Not making backups... now is the time to start. You can always try starting over with a clean Windows install and then a clean Pro Tools 10 install (was your install before a clean install from Windows 10 or an in-situ upgrade from an older version of Windows with Pro Tools already installed?)