Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2011, 04:58 PM

Default New Pro tools 9 User Problems

I want to vent really fast and say I am starting to regret purchasing Pro Tools 9 and how damn temperamental it is.

I am using ASIO drivers for my sound card and it seems to work ok.(ASUS Xonar Essence STX PCI-e) Except the buffers seem to be all wonky. I set the ASIO buffer size in the main ASIO menu to 1024. But no matter what I set the buffer size to in ASIO It is capped by the Playback engine of PT. What is ever more weird is how No matter what setting I put the sample rate at in the play back engine it only allows ASIO to use half of that setting (1024 winds up being 512, 256 winds up being 128 etc.) Not to mention that the playback engine cannot go higher than 1024 is kinda lame also. Would be nice to have 2048 for final render.

I have a screenshot if you need to see it
Old 07-11-2011, 05:12 PM

Default Re: New Pro tools 9 User Problems

The lower the buffer setting, the lower latency is so why would you want to go higher than 1024 (unless you've got a lame computer)?

Windows users need to provide a Sandra report

- Please - Use SiSoftware's Sandra Lite application to generate a full system profile:

www.sisoftware.co.uk

Under SiSoftware Sandra, click on "Download & Buy" to download the free Sandra Lite version or purchase other versions. After installing Sandra, click on the 'Hardware' tab and run the 'Computer Overview', then copy and paste into your post here on the DUC.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 07-11-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
The lower the buffer setting, the lower latency is so why would you want to go higher than 1024 (unless you've got a lame computer)?
When you use a lot of plugins it helps with the final mix. Latency is not an issue once you got everything put in place. It only matters with vocal tracking/live instruments.

It's a general rule of thumb When you are ready for the final render to have a much buffering as possible. Does anyone have any constructive feedback rather than antagonistic?

Edit: Not to mention that That is not my main problem, more just I cannot go past 512. I will have to post a screeny
Old 07-11-2011, 05:24 PM

There's a reason Pro Tools doesn't go beyond 1024, it's because one shouldn't need to.

Here's the thing dude, if your going to come in ranting about what's lame then this is the type of answer to expect. You also might want to consider giving some more info on your computer setup as that may be having something to do with your problem.

HD 96I/O
Old 07-11-2011, 05:27 PM

"Here's the thing dude, if your going to come in ranting about what's lame then this is the type of answer to expect."

Ok, sure. I will leave up to you then to give those kinds of answers :) Now back to the real problem I have guys. Here is a screeny.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/5092/ptbufferprob.png

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/905/systemspecs.png Here is my system specs
Old 07-12-2011, 10:37 PM

Do I need to post any more info? It really seems to be a struggle between the Playback Engine of PT and the ASIO Software. I just wish Someone has some insight to this being this is my last bug to troubleshoot.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:52 PM

Definitely looks like a driver problem to me. Are you using the Asio4all drivers? If you're not it may be worth a try.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multime...ASIO4ALL.shtml

I looked at the spec sheet of the ASUS Xonar Essence STX and it says Asio 2.0 driver support. Maybe there's a compatibility issue between that asio version (&/or the main chipset on the card) and PT...not sure.

HD 96I/O
Old 07-13-2011, 12:24 AM

Ok thanks. I am using ASIO4all being it offers the best performance. There are Pseudo ASIO driver that come with hardware but they are generally crap. Well for now I have two options. I really like my ASUS Xonar but I also have a Saffire 6 USB that at least gets me up to 1024 if I need. They just released new drivers that specifically addresses a compatibility issue known with PT so for now that can get me by in a pinch if I need it for final Mix. I still don't want to give up on finding the solution to this issue though.

I do prefer to use my Dedicated sound card over the USB AI. It is a great little AI but the converters in my ASUS card are more transparent
Old 09-25-2011, 07:24 AM

why not just do this?

bring up the CTRL+ALT+DEL menu
then go Task manager/processes
then click "Show processes from all users" (this is like admin mode on task manager for me at least, its so i can do the next step)
then right click the pro tools .exe (what ever its actually called)
then set the Prioirity to high or realtime

that way more processing power is given to pro tools and you wont have to worry about clicks or problems that might arise when having alot to playback at a low buffer size.

also do get rid of programs you aren't using, i noticed in the screen shot that you're a little bit of a gamer (i presume) as i saw Steam & TS3, make sure any odd program is down (you can use the processes tab to get rid of programs too, especially punkbuster if you have that)

(sorry for posting on a old thread/necroposting, was searching if the Asus Xonar DX or D2X worked on pro tools, seeing as this guys Asus Xonar worked i guess it will)