Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2011, 03:16 PM

Default Reinstalling PT v9 after having uninstalled it.

Blessings to you.

The electricity went off while working on a Pro tools session on my Digi 002 and ever since then I have been receiving a DAE error #35 message. And another message that audio was not being retrieved fast enough because of a possible firewire issue and/or my drives are Fragmented.

I though that a quick uninstall then reinstall may have resolve it. Unfortunately now that I have uninstalled PT v9 I am not able to reinstall the Pro_Tools_Updater_v90_69517.dmg file on my computer. Because the installer says that it cannot find Pro Tools on my computer.

I can also see that I have a Pro_Tools_LE_v8, Pro_Tools_LE_803_Full_Installer_64108.dmg and Pro_Tools_LE_80_Updater_67045.dmg on my computer.

Do I need to install one of these earlier version, then install the PT_Updater_v90 or what? I am thinking that I should not have to down load any files from Avid, because they are on my Mac already. Is that so?

Also how do I "DeFragment" a fragmented drive? How do you know if a drive is fragmented if using a Mac Pro? I got the impression that a fragmented drive was the result of deleting files from a computer thus leaving holes/gaps/pockets of nothingness on the drive. Is that so?

Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Reinstalling PT v9 after having uninstalled it.

I think Disk Doctor is one solution, but you may have other issues as well. A power failure can often include a spike when things go down, and that can trash any/all computer stuff(and certainly would corrupt audio/data that was in the process of being written to a drive). I lost an entire computer a few years ago, as well as a firewire drive that I forgot was on a wall outlet(not protected). I'll jump on my soapbox for a minute in hopes of saving you a repeat of this(and others from it entirely). You NEED 2 things. First is a UPS(battery backup) that can power the tower, screens, drives and interface for at least 10 minutes(APC is a great choice and look at the 1300 and higher models-$169-199 at BestBuy). Next, you NEED to have a clone of your system drive(done when all is good). Carbon Copy is a good Mac choice and Acronis True Image seems to be the PC champ. Okay, I'm off the soapbox now

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-27-2011, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Reinstalling PT v9 after having uninstalled it.

Thanks Albee1952,

I will take your advice. Like you said, other computer stuff could go bad. After getting back to Pro Tools, I notice that I Am Able to stream audio through my Digi 002 interface for Pro Tools and other applications (ie iTunes, reasons) BUT I am UNable to use my Midi keyboard. Unfortunately, when I open AMS on my Mac Pro, while in Pro Tools, the Digi 002 would crash. When I open the "Audio Midi Setup" directly, the device representing my Digi 002 interface has a big red question mark on its face. I deleted it then added a new device but still no luck. In addition, while in Reasons, if I were to go into its "Preference menu and select "Keyboards and Control surfaces" there is a red "X" at the bottom right of the icon, it is unable to "Auto" detect my keyboard and when I try to add via finding as a result of pressing a key, it is not able to detect, my pressing a key on my keyboard.

I recall when upgrading to PT 9, there was a similar issue experienced by some Pro Tools users and me. Eventually, it was resolved by Avid providing a download. Since I had to reinstall PT v9.0.1 I may need that again also.

Bad experiences in life are like being pushed from atop a hill where you lived with a great view over looking the beach. As a result, you must climb back up to that desired spot/experience. If you climb back with frustration that is what you experience and take to the hill, if you climb back without frustration such you do not experience nor take back.