Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2006, 12:47 AM

Default \"Access Violation\" error with LE 7.3 XP

does anyone else get "Access Violation" error randomly that distorts all the graphics on the screen and forces a restart of PT? This happens usually while editing/chopping/fading/etc. Playbak isn't interrupted, but it's only happened since I moved to 7.3LE on my XP Pro laptop system. Happens both with 002r and Mbox. It's really annoying, happens once every 20-30min. I can usually save the session, but even when I try to to a print screen to capture what the distorted graphics look like (all the fonts get messed up on screen, the windows get distorted) I get an error from XP saying there's not enough memory to capture the image.

I have 1gb of ram, and PT's usage according to task manager is never more than 500mb of memory or so, and it's not stuck at 99% usage or anything.

any clues?

thanks!
Old 12-30-2006, 11:05 AM

Default Re: \"Access Violation\" error with LE 7.3 XP

I'm having the same issue. I updated to 7.3 and within 30 minutes the graphics became intelegable forcing me to use task manager to exit. I have more than enough resources to run 7.0 while abusing plug-ins. Could there be a compatability issue with ATI graphic cards? I'm currently using an ATI Radeon 9250.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:46 PM

The xp pro laptop I'm using is an SiS integrated gfx card. I know they all say these are incompatible, but I had yet to ever have an issue since 2003 until now. I really don't think it's a graphics issue. I want to say I notice it more in some sessions over others, and I noticed it particularly when editing while PT was playing back and I was nudging or x-fading some bass tracks w/ only a stereo submix of drums playing back as well. playback wouldn't stop, just the graphics would "blow up" on me. At least it doesn't require a full computer reboot and you can usually ctrl-S save before quitting PT, but it's very, very annoying. I noticed it also would happen over and over while editing vocal tracks too. I had autotune open, but it happens w/ or w/o the plugin present. I want to say it has something to do with being able to move fades around while playing back which is a new feature, and I'll do that alot while playing back before the playhead hits the audio im nudging/editing. Figure since PT has to nudge the audio, draw new waveforms and get it ready to playback all while the disk is being accessed might be the cause? Try editing a lot particularly while playing back before the head hits your edit point, see if the same happens.

I tracked vocals last night for 2-3 hours with absolutely no issues... but less editing than tracking. Some songs it's every 5 minutes. Some songs it's never at all. My PT harddrive is an external USB2.0 Western Digital 80gb. I didn't notice any 6086 errors alongside the "gfx access violation" bombs, and I've also gotten the AV error both w/ and w/o the network cards enabled (trying to avoid the azuki cliff hanger).

I'm going to attempt the FW connection today instead and see what happens to rule out my USB2.0 connection (although i try to avoid FW w/ Windows due to "delayed write failures" if any glitches occur...unstable!)

Thanks, let me know if anyone else has any experience w/ this annoyance.

-andrew
Old 01-01-2007, 01:04 PM

It's not the graphics card chipset that's referred to in the requirements, RSSstudio. It's the mainboard chipset. Unfortunately though, since it's integrated and a laptop, the motherboard chipset is probably SiS too.
If that's the case, good luck. SiS has been known to be a show stopper.

An easy way to find out for sure is using a system info program such as Sandra, linked in the General Troubleshooting thread up top.

As for the "Access Violation" message in general, it seemes to be plug-in related most often. Especially in 7.x with plugs that need updating.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:27 AM

Same Problem after updating to PTLE7.3 002R on XP, The messed up screen and the Access Violation pop up! But playback continues normaly. I agree that it has occured to me more during editing than Recording. especially when i expand regeons etc... Ctrl-S works but out of the 15 times its happened today the last one did not allow me to save at all... Further this is a clear session im working on with ONLY Native Digidesing plugins active. Another interesting point is that even when you close the session the "bug" continues on the File Edit ... menus in the digidesign startup screen, with result sometimes not allowing to read or select the File> New, Open, Save, Save As menus!! Restarting Pro Tools seems to fix the bug temporarily, but a system Reset seemed to buy me a couple of hours before it occured again.

Any ideas are welcome,

Thanks

Greg-T
Dual XEON3.2GHz :: 4GB DDR RAM :: 6 x 250GB SATA HDD :: NVidia Quadro FX 1100 :: WINXP SP2
Old 01-04-2007, 10:55 AM

I have had the same thing happen. I noticed it mostly when doing multiple fades. All graphics go messed up , then the access violation comes up. Didn't happen with 7.1 or ealier. Any help digi people?

Intel core2duo e6600
Asus P5B (965chipset)
2 gig ram.
Radeon x800 graphics.
win xp sp2
Old 01-04-2007, 10:56 AM

******** I just found this in the answer base ************

"Access Violation error occurs while creating fades with the Smart Tool on grouped tracks in Pro Tools 7.3 on XP.
This is a known issue in Pro Tools 7.3 and is related to a lot of editing, e.g. repeatedly trimming fades on grouped regions. This will be fixed in an upcoming CS update"

Looks like we wait for an update.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:14 AM

Nice one Mcpram!

Let See how quickly they resolve it..
Old 01-05-2007, 12:31 PM

awesome, thanks for the update. as i was working today, i've had my laptop's wireless card enabled all day. as stated in another thread, this gets past that Azuki error upon launch, but I also noticed that I have yet to have the access violation error occur either (always using the smart tool, most tracks are grouped)

someone else give that a try and see if the wireless/azuki error workaround might work around this too? if you can deal with the occasional 9094 error from the wireless card, it's worth a shot.